PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
So I have really been enjoying wine lately. Red wine to be specific zin,shiraz,merlot. I have always drank beer or scotch so I'm kinda new to the wine world. What kind of wine do you guys enjoy and what kind of reccomendations would you have.

Aug 1, 2012
I am a bit partial to a good port or Rhein-style wine but most, especially reds, are pretty...
eck15.gif

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I like my merlot. Cabernet S. also. I think shiraz will be the new merlot soon. Really big then people shun it. My main recommendation is find good wines for cheap, it's something that can't be done the same with scotch really.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Cabernet sauvignon, as mentioned above, is a good red with dinner, Merlot too. Don't ignore blended red wines, they are usually inexpensive, and very tasty. Aussie wines are coming down in price this year, and some labels are really good. Wine making has become a world wide business, and like tobacco, flavors change with region and vintage.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I'm also a red wine guy. Malbec, merlot, cab, and shiraz are all great wine. Don't be afraid to try some wine on the lower end of the price spectrum, as I've found some great wine in the "9.99 or less section". One of my friends who is a doc and department chief at a local hospital, let's say he is very comfortable financially, he and I always challenge each other to fine decent wines under 9.99! Enjoy the search.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big fan of wine. Seems like a natural interest for those who appreciate fine pipe tobaccos. In fact I've often said that pipe tobacco is the wine of the tobacco world.
I enjoy northern white varietals and blends, with Gewurtztraminer topping my list. Alsatian wines, of course, but also interesting northern blends from uncommon places whether that's the UK or the Appalachians. And on the red side good tempranillo - especially with game. Also Grenache, Syrah , etc - what I refer to as peasant field blends rather than Grand Cru (though I'm not above accepting a fine Bordeaux as a gift from an obliging forum member). I've also always got my eye out for value blends of Pinot Noir.
But for sipping wine with a pipe, I prefer tawny Port with VaPers.
Generally though, like Roth, I leave my wines for dinner. I typically pair a pipe up with a bourbon or sweet after dinner liqueur.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
One of the many ways that pipe tobacco resembles good wine is in the expression of flavors and complexity - improvement - with age.
As Miss Sothron would say, they both benefit from sitting around an thinking about themselves for a good while.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I love a nice Pinot noir, Malbec, or Syrah/petite syrah the most. Also an occasional merlot or cabernet sauvignon.

B

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I hit Bev Mo for their buy one get one for a nickel sale! I suggest trying reds from Chile, Argentina, Spain for affordable and surprising quality. Also reds from Australia are good bargains. Jackob's Creek has some nice reds. Penfolds is another Aussie brand but will cost a bit more. I also look for Zinns from Lodi California. Careful with Zinns. They can have a higher alcohol content and have been known to cause pregnancy! :)

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I love the Zins and other dark reds. Will drink and Riesling or Moscato now and then but usually any white I drink will be a Pinot Grigio.

Dec 24, 2012
I am a big wine guy. I have been collecting for 15 years (far longer than tobacco). I lean toward reds but like virtually all types, provided they are blended with skill.
Merlot, being a relatively light red, is easy to get into. The trouble is, once you "crossover" to reds, if you try other great reds, merlot at some point, more often than not, eventually becomes a thing of the past.
Merlot has gotten a bad rap (I won't even mention that film). Merlot isn't necessarily light - there are many big, bold merlots. Petrus is one of the most respected (and expensive) blends in the world and it is made entirely from merlot. It is thick and dense wine. Duckhorn out of California makes big and bold merlots that are just sublime.
I will be honest here and tell you that, in my view, there aren't many wines in the $10 or under range that I like, but there are many in the under $25 range (mostly from South America). These wines are of the "drink now" variety and generally don't benefit from aging. In fact, about 99% or more of the wine sold in North America really has little in the way of aging potential. I once bumped into a lady at the liquor store who was buying a case of that wretched Yellowtail stuff. We struck up a conversation and she indicated she likes to buy it a case at a time so she can drink two and age 10. I didn't have the heart to tell her that nothing in the world is going to make that vile wine taste any better. In the world of Yellowtail, last Tuesday was a good year.
One more random thought: if you start collecting fine wine make sure it is under lock and key. We were just in Vegas and the mother-in-law stayed at our house and babysat the kids. When I came home she told me that some of her girl friends came over and she grabbed a bottle from the cellar to make sangria. I looked at the counter and to my absolute horror there was an empty 1997 Brunello di Montalcino bottle on the counter. I went to my room and wept. Sangria, I thought. I wept some more.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I have a confession to make here. I contracted WAD (wine acquisition disorder!) before I came down with PAD or TAD. Like pickingpahombre I have been collecting wine for many years. But I will restrict my comments to wines that might go with a pipe. IMO (not so H on this topic) it should have some sweetness to it - ruby or tawny ports fit the bill; get the best you can afford. White wines generally do not fit, but 'heavy' reds do. Like others I would suggest a rich Shiraz, or a chianti classico reserva or riocha reserva.
One advantage of wine over malt whisky or bourbon in this regard (and probably the only one IMO) is that you are less likely to indulge in late-night eBay trigger finger!

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
When I drink wine around the house, I simply go for a Gato Negro Cabernet Merlot. At around $4 a bottle, it meets my budget! From bum wine, to high$$...it comes down to personal taste, and for me, I've had lowlights in both ends of the range. To each their own enjoyment!

Status
Not open for further replies.