PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
So I was at lunch today at a Chipotle sitting on the patio, and after eating I fired up my pipe for an after lunch relaxation before heading back to teach the unteachable heathens on campus. I noticed that with it being a VERY windy day here in North Texas that not only was the pipe burning extra fast, it was getting WICKED hot to the touch. I found myself having to set it down every few minutes and let it go out intentionally to keep it from getting way too hot to not only handle but to smoke without having a jet engine in my mouth. So I guess my question is this, I know windscreens exist and are a thing, but before I go invest in a few to try out, do they really work, are they a pain to use, is it worth the investment and time to deal with? I have never used one so I have no clue. Thanks for the info!!

Reactions: Ethan

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Not a pain to deal with when it's windy! They are great, and super super cheap, I have gobs of them. $2 for a fancy one, and well worth $2 to save an expensive pipe from burning through.

Reactions: Ethan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A wind cap yes, and learning to use trees, buildings, berms, etc., to give you shelter from the wind to light and relight. Also, using a deep bowled pipe and filling it only partly full, and also cupping your hand around the bowl to extend the chimney helps too. It's sport to smoke in the wind, but fun when you get it right, kind of akin to flying a kite, interacting with the wind. I would take your expensive pipes out there, just the good old sturdies.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I don't clench in the wind and carry the pipe with my hand shielding the bowl when the wind really kicks up.
Same here. The rare occasion I get to enjoy a pipe indoors it seems something is missing, the wind works for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it's really howling, you can press a flat piece of wood, cardboard, or other non-flammable material onto the rim. When drawing, leave it in place, just relieve the pressure.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I use the matchbook when lighting to push the jumpers back down since my fingers are busy with a lit match and tamper. Haven't caught one on fire yet

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Smoking a folded flake will help slow down the burn rate. Heck, being in the wind is the only way I can get a flake to burn satisfactorily! :lol:

Jan 8, 2013
It was indeed a windy day in North Texas, as is often the case this time of year. A wind cap does indeed help, but won't fit some pipes with a wide chamber.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Yes, I will say, most of the time I have no idea where my caps are and I use a "cap of opportunity", sometimes this is a cupped hand, I've used small rocks, leaves, sticks, bark, a seashell...the list goes on.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Stupid question: must you take the windscreen off to relight? (I have a couple of windscreens, and I'm one of those whose pipe is constantly going out. Mostly, I use the screens as a pipe cap when I must put the pipe out and go indoors.)

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Smoking a folded flake will help slow down the burn rate. Heck, being in the wind is the only way I can get a flake to burn satisfactorily! :lol:
In really windy conditions smoke Samuel Gawith folded flakes. That stuff has enough asbestos in it to make them wind proof.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Stupid question: must you take the windscreen off to relight? (I have a couple of windscreens, and I'm one of those whose pipe is constantly going out. Mostly, I use the screens as a pipe cap when I must put the pipe out and go indoors.)
You needn't, but it's a very good idea.
Constantly going out? Dry your tobacco more before loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.