PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I just bought a windcap for outdoor smoking. Does anyone have experience with them? Can you light your pipe with it on or should I remove it when I re light?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't used them in a long time. Usually when I did I'd light the pipe get it tamped down and then put the cap on. If a relight was needed I'd take the cap off, light it, tamp it, then put the cap back on. I'm sure some people just relight through the cap, but I wouldn't be able to speak of if that's harmful or not to the pipe. I will say be careful if you take it off to relight it, cause that cap is metal and depending on how things are it can get pretty warm itself.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Nope, never used them. When it gets windy, I just cover my pipe with my hand. But be careful not to get a little burn from the smoldering ash :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have one that I bough last year and never used, because I never smoke outdoors during the wintertime. Yesterday I digged it out, summer is upon us, so I will be testing it out. Just for the information, the nickname of the city I live is 'City of Winds'.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the info. I’ll probably remove it when lighting just to be safe.

Jvnshr let us know how the cap works for you

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I use a wind cap to snuff a pipe. I put tape over the holes. Puts out a bowl quickly when I want set the pipe down and come back to it later. I have a second wind cap to use when I'm smoking blends like C&D's Crooner or C&D's Cube Cut Burley because those blends have a tendency to want to jump out of the bowl when lit. Cuts down on burn holes in my shirts.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I never leave the house without one. Sometimes you never know, if it's calm out in my pocket it goes. You can light through the cap but since your probably going to tamp...

Also if it a good wind don't load up with ribbon. Your pipe will still burn hot. Use a cube cut or flake in addition to the wind cap and you can smoke in anything but a gale.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I use them frequently. Mainly when fishing and walking the dogs.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Living in Colorado, it’s breezy here a lot, particularly in the spring. I use a cap frequently when it’s more than a slight breeze. I take it off to tamp and light, and it does get really hot until you get down to about half a bowl. If it’s only a slight breeze I use my fingers to cover the bowl. I also smoke flakes when it’s breezy to cut down on the overheating.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I use them a good bit, yeah. Light through them? Never tried it, but can't think it would be all that effective, *&* I don't want to burn up my caps *or* my rims! I buy them in 3's off amazaoomie, but I'm still, well, "see sig." }:)

Status
Not open for further replies.