PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have added two pipes to my collection that have wind caps. Both are nailed on with very small brads. What it the best way to remove a nailed on wind cap to clean & refurbish the pipe/cap? And how can I reinstall it without nails? Where do you find that small of a brad if re-nailing is the only way?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Removal......by force. How much force? Depends on how much you like the pipe.
Reinstall with out nails...Super glue? Loctite makes some glue that is better then most super glues that is heat resistant. The only issue is you would probably never be able to remove it again without damaging the pipe.
Is it really necessary to remove it to restore it, or would it just be easier to work with? You may want to consider replacing it or just getting rid of it all together. I have always thought they would more get in the way the help with anything so I have never used one. Do you like using it?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
One there's no option: it was mis-nailed and came off without help. The second really needs to come off to be cleaned well but it may have to be a work-around thing. Thinking of two drops of super glue, under the nail holes, to fix the first one. I could then dribble nail polish remover in the holes to remove it if need be In the future.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I do kind of like using it but its been limited use so far. One problem of removal is its s sitter, that won't sit without it!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Thinking of two drops of super glue, under the nail holes, to fix the first one.
Sounds like you are on the only track I can conceive of. I would suggest that the addition of a bit of briar dust to your super-glue will make your fills more natural looking; if there is a chance they can be seen.
If you reassemble the works, perhaps jewlers or eyeglass screws would work in place of nails? Then you could remove the caps to your hearts content.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Schmidt, thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't thought of eyeglass or jewelers screws; I think those might work well!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Well, I picked up an eyeglass repair set at Walmart yesterday to give the small screws a try and it was no luck; they are too large and I'd have to drill out the holes in the windcap, at least, to use them. I'm pondering getting the smallest wire nails I can find, shortening them a bit and putting a new point on them. Or I may just go with the super glue idea, haven't decided yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.