PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Here at Bagram our pipe and cigar times are limited to the evenings on the roof of the hanger we work out of, When I travel its a different story and depends upon the FOB I am going to.
Lately the winds have been pretty high in the evenings and has made me turn to cigars instead of one of my pipes. Ive never used a wind cap - how well do they work? are they worth the few bucks they cost and what kind should I get (Ive seen adjustable ones on Amazon)

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I use a wind cap when we’re at the beach where the air moves very fast.

The wind cap does its job, but it’s mostly just one more thing to fiddle with while smoking a pipe.

Mostly it’s a hassle when I need to use my tamper.

Still I use it when necessary.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I smoke almost exclusively outdoors, no wind cap for me. Too much of a pain IMO as curl said. Use your hand to cover the bowl when the wind picks up.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Wind caps can be very useful on windy days, just be careful when removing them to tamp and relight. Those caps can heat up pretty good. I've burned my fingers many times, but nothing serious. I have placed a thin coating of silicone on a wind cap and use it as a bowl snuffer. If you need to put out a bowl real quick it works great.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I love them, I have several with the cap built in.
wrxhtc.jpg

2z520pu.jpg

I also have this style for pipes without a built in cap.
WindCap_zps0d77be20.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I do all my smoking outside. When it's windy I find the cheap spring type windcaps to be very useful. Took me a bit to get used to it but I always have one in the vehicle just in case the wind blows. For a few bucks it isn't much of a gamble provided you can get them sent to Bagram without problem. The basic windcap fits most of my pipes however my Vauen pot shape is too wide for the generic spring type windcaps I have.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Besides protecting the pipe from overheating in the wind, wind caps can be useful if your load your pipes before going out. They help keep the tobacco from falling out into your pocket.
Russ

Reactions: Papamique

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've done some windy pipe smoking. I need to buy a few wind caps and learn how to use them. I like the idea of their keeping a pre-packed pipe from spilling. If you are caught without a wind cap, but have a deeper pipe, you can keep the ember out of the wind by packing it less than full, and also by making a chimney with your hand, to make the bowl even taller. I enjoy finding a tree, pole, low wall, or berm to use as a wind break. It's not the best pipe smoking, but it is a good sport.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I have a pipe that came with a windcap installed. I bought for the rare windy days. They do the job, little more hassle but I'd rather have that than a cigar. My pipes ruined cigar taste for me. Not sure why.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it's really blowing, they are next to useless. A matchbook or box, or any non-metal piece can be hand clamped over the rim. Not elegant, but it does the job without singeing the hand.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Caps, integral to the pipe not a screen are fairly good protection as the wind doesn't flow over the top of the bowl. The opening with caps are usually slight where the cap meets the bowl. The screens can be a help but, one must be careful to keep the wind from flowing over the screen. In a heavy wind the problem can arise with the caps also unless, the pipe is held deep in the fist.
Improperly exposed to the wind a screen is no better than no protection, in my opinion. The wind can fan the cherry and you could experience a burned pipe.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Besides protecting the pipe from overheating in the wind, wind caps can be useful if your load your pipes before going out. They help keep the tobacco from falling out into your pocket.

This 'cap as a lid' is what I use my windcaps for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's good to order a handful, four or five anyway, to provide against loss, or packing several pipes to carry, or to put in various places you spend time. The basic item is inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.