PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Just returned from seeing him in concert tonight at Massey Hall in Toronto. A true musical (and American) icon. Played and sounded like a million bucks - and at 80 to boot.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I saw him with Bob Dylan on the ballpark tour. Willie did a great show, engaged the crowd, did all the old stuff. Glad ya got to see him, Peck.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a big Willie Nelson fan, took the wife to see him "and Family" at the Myerhoff Symphony Hall (small) in Baltimore two years ago. He's a legend. I have his autobiography "Roll Me up and Smoke Me When I Die" but haven't read it yet.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I love Willie, and oddly enough, my favourite song of his is probably his cover of that coldplay song that was recently released :s

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Gheesh Peck don't scare with a title me like that. I was expecting to read bad news about him. We already lost a legend on April 26th and Tony Soprano got wacked on the 19th. I was just fearing the worst when I clicked on this thread. :eek: Glad you had a great time buddy. "Always On My Mind" has gotta be one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
"Always On My Mind" has gotta be one of the greatest songs ever recorded
Totally agreed... and while I love the original, I have to say that I have a softer spot in my heart for the cover done by the Pet Shop Boys.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If he'd never walked on a stage, he'd be an underpinning of American music for his songwriting. He's worked

with all of the greats. His high, raspy tenor is unlike anyone else. Even when he's not in form -- I went to

a concert where he had to talk his way through the songs -- he's a steadfast performer and loves his fans.

I'm glad he was in good form and good voice. He's a national treasure.

Dec 24, 2012
He was in fine vocal form. The acoustics at Massey Hall are superb, so that undoubtedly helped. Anyone gets to Toronto they should see a show at Massey Hall. According to the wikipedia entry on Massey Hall:
Many famous figures have appeared on the broad stage of this stately hall, including William Booth, Maria Callas, Enrico Caruso, Winston Churchill, George Gershwin, Glenn Gould, Vladimir Horowitz, Dalai Lama, Gordon Lightfoot, Luciano Pavarotti, Neil Young, Oscar Peterson, and Arturo Toscanini.
It was the site of the legendary Charlie Parker-Dizzy Gillespie concert, recorded as Jazz at Massey Hall, in May 1953. Accompanying Gillespie and Parker in this acoustically sound hall were Bud Powell, Max Roach and Charles Mingus.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My top 3 shows at Massey Hall:
1) Tori Amos

2) Crowded House

3) Cowboy Junkies
As Peck says, it is a fantastic venue.
-- Pat

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I saw him at Willie Nelson's Country Throwdown a couple years ago. He was great. Lots of bands there, among them Jamie Johnson (a future classic).
Willie's son sounds just like him. Not really my kind of music though.

Dec 24, 2012
We had front row seats and a few of the sweaty headbands he throws out during the concert narrowly missed my head, lol. Still, had a lot of fun and got to shake his hand at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.