PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
William Harnett was a painter with a style of extreme realism meant to trick the eye into believing they were seeing real objects. he was noted for his still life paintings of seemingly mundane objects, and he often used his personal pipes as models.

thought some people here might find it interesting.

william harnett wikipedia

some examples

1879thesocialclub.jpg

bulllystilllife.jpg

1877stilllifewithmugpip.jpg

stilllifewithmugpipeand.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Wow he did some amazing work. The colouring on the meer looks so true to life it's scary.

I love still life of mundane objects. It shows that art isn't intentional and that to find it all you have to do is look around you.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
he was once arrested for counterfeiting; a piece of money in a painting was life size and too real looking for someone. he talked his way out of it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
That is crazy hyper realism. I was never into painting in that style myself, but have always had respect for the skill of accurately reproducing real life with a paint brush.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
the cincinnati art museum has one of his pieces (with a pipe) and they are incredible in person.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the photos, very cool stuff. A bit of an art comment that I have always held, but never articulated. as a disclaimer, I am speaking of my subjective art tastes only... hyper realism is the purest expression of artistic skill. Although I can enjoy other forms of art, and even be more moved/impacted by non realism pieces, I am never impressed by the skill of the creators of non realism art. To me, artists who do not posess the ability to create acurate representations of sensory experience are no more skilled than me, they just have better marketing. ie. A guy like this was a genius, Picasso was a con artist

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
stacen - as an artist i agree with you 123%

since i tattoo for a living i am surrounded by people who call themselves artists, and they get away with it doing the same old cartoon illustrations over and over again. don't get me wrong i love the stuff for what it is, but if i put a mug in from of them and say "paint this." 99% of them can only give me a flat stiff hardlined tattooey version of it. the only thing that ever made me a better artist, and continues to, is sitting done and drawing and painting the everyday things that are in front of me as honestly and as accurately as i can.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
The paintings are very enchanting. They tell countless stories with such simplicity. Thanks for sharing the beauty!

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Cool Jason, I was worried I might come off as offensive to artists! (not what I wanted at all) To edit my comments a bit, as I am still working on this thought... I guess i am most impressed by realism, but as i think more on the matter I am pretty impressed by other forms of art as well, so my first post is maybe a little harsh in retrospect... off topic, Great work on your pipes by the way, impressive start mate.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks on the pipes sir.

i know what you mean about being most impressed with realism... it shows a more apparent attention to the image and detail. honestly though, nowadays, realism is sometimes achieved easier. i guess if i really think about it the answer would come in knowing the artist himself. many people say norman rockwell can not be considered a fine artist, but that requires to much closed thought... and most the people who think that way could never hope to paint as well as norman.

apologies i sometimes rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.