Will You Think Any Less of Me?

(52 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by smokeytay33
  • Latest reply from timely
  1. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

The only reason I write this is because I eventually plan to go to a few pipe shows and possibly meet a few of you. I don't want their to be any surprises. I also want to feel like I am being myself and that it is okay to be myself on these forums. So, here it goes... I am a female pipe smoker. Some of you know this because of my comments in the Pipes Magazine Radio Show post: Prominent Woman Pipe Smokers. Others do not know this, as I have been called "young man" quite a few times. I don't think anyone on these forums will stop talking to me or be mean to be for this, but being a woman pipe smoker has gotten me some unfavorable reactions. For instance, at a pipe shop in town, I am treated as though I don't know much about anything when it comes to the hobby. Given, I am new-ish to it, I still know some things. If you don't like the fact that women smoke pipes, you are completely entitled to that opinion. I just ask that we be respectful to each other. For those who have been giving me advice and talking to me about my interests, I hope you don't think any differently about me now. Maybe someday we will meet at a pipe show and share a bowl.

Again, I do not think anyone would be mean to me after finding out I am a woman, I just like being another one of the people on the forum. Anyways, I just wanted to point it out since a few posters think I am a "young man," and if I meet anyone from the forums at shows, they won't be taken aback.

Smokey

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney, fellow pipe smoker
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, we will think more of you. Smokey, I don't think there's a person on here that won't think it's cool you're a girl. Screw that pipe shop, they are lucky to have you. Many of us wish our women were more open to pipe smoking, but to find one that actually smokes herself is a treat. Puff on sis

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey there, we have some fantastic female members of the forum community, and we're always happy to have new folks join us here in pipe-land. We're lucky you found this place as pipers of any gender seem to be in diminishing supply.

Thanks for being here, and sharing your pipe journey with us.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think many tobacco stores have a "you gotta be tested" attitude, like I cant state my opinion on what I want until I've proven some stupid silly thing. Many places are like this, some hardware stores, welding supplies, etc... I frequently hear from women that they were singled out at these men run establishments. Maybe, but in my experience this is just how many men run their business. I typically just don't return to these places (if I have another option), because I don't have time to deal with retailers who want to make every bit of help I need with my selection a pissing contest. It's just a bad business model in my opinion.

That said, my daughter is testing the waters of pipe smoking. She is the type that is going to do what she wants regardless of what the world thinks. She sort of welcomes the head bashing, LOL. So, I have no problems with women pipe smokers. You'll at least smell better than a nasty cigarette smoker :o) ...and, maybe live longer.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Absolutely agree. it's good to know that there are at least three women pipers on the forum !!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey smokey - no one here will judge you based on sex. As long as I have been on this forum, this group has encouraged and welcomed women pipe smokers (we actually have several, including timely and roadqueen).

You were probably called a "young man" by some (not me) due in part to the photo - which now that I take a closer look indeed does show you to be a woman (but at a glance it's hard to tell).

For instance, at a pipe shop in town, I am treated as though I don't know much about anything when it comes to the hobby.

That is to be expected in many specialty shops (guns, fishing, cigar shops etc). Especially if you're under the age of 30 and confronted by a bunch of local yokels - lol! It's human nature unfortunately; but here at least you are welcome.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A pipe smoker is a pipe smoker. You shall be treated like the rest of the us.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You go, girl.

My grandmother dipped snuff and smoked a pipe! A cob, and it would not have been prudent to say something to her about what she did or did not know about snuff and pipes.

Welcome and keep your tobacco dry.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no issues at all with a female pipe smoker. Glad your here.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smokey,
    I can't imagine any of the fine folks I've met thus far from the forum would be anything but civil to you. There is some good natured kidding between some of the members but again it's not meant in a bad way.

You should not feel intimidated at a show simply because you are new to the pipe, in fact a good retort on your part would be to address anyone acting in that manner toward you if they had the same experience when they were new, you'll either find they will feel like a complete ass for having been that way or tell you that in fact they had.

Either way I should think the conversation would be a great ice breaker on your part and show you mean business, welcome to the pipe. Warm regard........
    banjo

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You Should talk with Timely another female pipe smoker who knows more about pipe smoking then me! and shes wonderful to deal with already purchased a number of Trypis pipe off me. I wouldn't worry i highly doubt you would be treated any differently and if you were it wouldn't be you that was in the wrong place rather the other, this community is helpful and polite and we have each others backs.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After reading about all the posts of men ranting about how their wives and girlfriends disprove of the hobby, I would have a hard time believing the majority of pipe smokers would be against a woman joining our ranks. If anything you will have to fend off a few members with a stick. Good luck with your quest, I wish to see more of you in the future.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eric +1

wonderful point

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dear Smokey;

If anyone looks down upon you for being a female pipe enjoyer, I say kick them in the bowls and call them an ash hole.

Pipe shows are not like your local B & M. At a pipe show you will probably see more women enjoying pipes than anywhere else. At the Chicago Show I believe they even have a women's slow smoke contest. You've got to believe there must be enough female smokers to make that worth while.

Amongst this group / forum of nare do wells, I don't think gender is an issue.

Regards
    BB

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I should hope not... We're too few to really worry about simple things like that. I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as I do. Happy smoking!

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it's kind of weird... but I also think it's freaking great Smoke that pipe of yours and don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Seriously... if a woman can drive a 900+ horsepower race car, or go into space, or fight fires, or run for president (I'm sure one will make it someday)or fight in the millitary, or anything else you'd typically think of a man doing, then dangit a woman can smoke a pipe too!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

There are more than a few women at pipe shows, and even a few female pipemakers too! You won't be looked down on. You might get some stares, but no more than anywhere else!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

fishnbanjo, I like the joking. That's the part I don't want to stop! I don't want people to think I can't take a harsh joke because I am a girl. To everyone, thanks for the welcome and support.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the contrary, we totally support women smokers! We have several here on the forum, and I'd like to think they are all treated as equals! It ads a certain spice to this Boy Scout camp! Welcome aboard!

Dan

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

BTW, it is difficult to discern your gender by your photo. Also, my photo does not depict me, as I am male and not a female with full body tattoos and a pet zebra...

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great post Smokey. This great hobby devifitely has room for a few more female pipe smokers. Thanks for the clarification and I hope you enjoy your time here and at the shows you attend!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Walt - we all know you're a zebra!!!!!!!!! bbwaaahahahahahahahaha

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

Yeah, in my picture I have heavy clothes on since it's winter, back then my long hair was put in a pony, and the smoke covers my face. So I understand.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

Yeah, in my picture I have heavy clothes on since it's winter, back then my long hair was put in a pony, and the smoke covers my face. So I understand.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seriously the more women pipe smokers out there the better. "Pipe Awareness" can sometimes be easier with the face of a woman in front of it - especially when dealing with the anti-smoking-nazis.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

Walt - we all know you're a zebra!!!!!!!!! bbwaaahahahahahahahaha

Maybe, Mike... Maybe!

/hijack

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you are here and always will be, I wish there were more women here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sex doesn't matter.

Well... as far as the sex of the puffer at the end of the pipe is concerned

We're all brothers and sisters in this family of ours.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Smokey, welcome to the forums.

My wife rarely smokes a pipe even though she has a few. She mainly smokes cigars, the stronger the better. She can out smoke most men I know.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. burlpettibon

burlpettibon

Login to Send PM

Pfft. Man, woman, dog, porpoise, whatever! Dont matter none to me! Just glad to have ya on the forum and one more pipe smoker in the world!

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WHAT! A WOMAN!!!! That's it I quit!!!

Really does not matter at all! Damn glad to have ya here!

John
    Posted 5 years ago #
  32. kcpoe

kcpoe

Login to Send PM

I think women who smoke pipes are super sexy. Much like others find specific accessories attractive on a woman (glasses, hats, shoes).

Welcome!

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you're here and post on. I will say I sort of understand the whole gender misunderstanding thing. I have long hair and have had many a waitress walk up behind me to the table and say "and what can I get for you ladies" just to have me turn around with my bearded face and give my order. They're usually suitably shocked/embarrassed and I get a bit of a laugh.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2 places I don't think women should belong to, Boy Scouts & pro football, but I am a chauvinistic pig. Welcome!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell no we won't be upset. Glad to have you here. Too much testosterone sometimes. Glad to see you are an individual that does what she likes and not what society tells you. Looking forward to your comments in the threads. If we ever meet up at a show would be honoured to sit and smoke a bowl with you, and anyone else from this fine group!

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nuff said.
    Welcome to the forums!

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I doubt that any member would disparage a woman for smoking. That said, smoking would not be the reason for the blackball in the bowl at my club.

Your presence on the forum should have a civilizing influence. It doesn't appear to, but it should. The presence of a lady anywhere always improves the behavior of men. Of course, this is exactly the reason why women are not allowed membership in my club. The behavior mean among the members is very, very low and any attempt to raise it is always strenuously resisted. Particularly by the married members.

Here? On this board? I think the more ladies the better!

One more thing: In the picture on my posts, I'm not the one wearing the hat. Never judge a member by his/her avatar.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, I know a lot of great women. My wife is a woman, matter of fact.

So, no, I would not think less of you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

smokeytay33 said:
    "... I write this is because I eventually plan to go to a few pipe
    shows and possibly meet a few of you. I don't want their to be any
    surprises. I also want to feel like I am being myself and that it
    is okay to be myself on these forums.
    So, here it goes ... I am a female pipe smoker."

Not sure how many besides myself had read enough of your postings here to have already known that ... but I think your broader point is 'clearing the air' prior to any in-person meetings at pipe shows, et al and I can understand that ...

Some years back, there was a woman who was quite active on a cigar forum in which I also participated ... the 'resistance' that she met there was due not so much to her being female as it was to her being extraordinarily opinionated and outspoken ... however, those who happened to meet her in person found her to be friendly and charming and good company at those events where they encountered her. Their saying as much in the forum eventually won over the few who had been less accepting of her ...

In short, you should just jump right in without being at all intimidated ... be yourself and I'll put a money bet on your finding no problem in complete acceptance.

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think many tobacco stores have a "you gotta be tested" attitude, like I cant state my opinion on what I want until I've proven some stupid silly thing.
    Bingo, that's how my B&M treated me until I came in one day and fully explained what I liked about a certain tobacco now I am can't go in anymore cause I will spend a ton and bs for quite some time. Taylor like stated before note one person on this forum will ever think less of you, but we will always think more of you for being one of the few women who have stepped up to the pipe. Once again happy to have you.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  42. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope. I think it's cool.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

The wonderful thing about forums such as this one is that a person is judged by the content of what they write, not their gender. Looking forward to meeting you at a show in the future.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go to a pipe show, Smokey. You will be loved and adored. The men treat the women with respect and, in fact, the ladies usually obtain star status. Same with my local pipe club. You've just been hanging around the wrong crowd.

Best,

Pipestud

Pipestud
    Posted 5 years ago #
  45. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

smokey, I had no idea you were of the superior species, I am glad you let us know. I for one will abuse you like i abuse the rest of these fine folks, I am an equal opportunity abuser.

Seriously though, I think it is great that you like to smoke a pipe, the more people in our ranks is good for all of us, no matter what the gender. Hell we even welcome our resident she male Peck with open arms.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  46. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with the rest that if you're going to get any sort of specialized treatment for being a women - it's going to be on the positive side of things! Me and my pipe friends keep a pipe-family-tree (who started who smoking a pipe) and I have a pipe daughter myself, so I think it's great to see other girls getting into it

For instance, at a pipe shop in town, I am treated as though I don't know much about anything when it comes to the hobby. Given, I am new-ish to it, I still know some things.

As for that, it happens to me to. I'm 25, so the guys in most shops (or the woman working a shop as was once the case) always assume I know nothing. Doesn't matter if I walk in smoking a lat bomb in a dress pete, they'll still ask me about the basket pipes and aromatics. I've even had some really unpleasant moments (because it was awkward, no arguing or anything) where it became VERY clear that I knew much more about the shop's tobacco inventory than the employee....they didn't really know how to handle that!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  47. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been known to give women at pipe shows a serious discount on the tampers I am selling. Feel free to stop at my table at the Chicago Pipe Show next year.

Winton

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Winston does that mean if I come by your table in a pretty yellow dress I can get one of your tampers for 50% off? Geeze with I had that information a couple months back

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All are Welcome here...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  50. roadqueen

roadqueen

Login to Send PM

Hi Smokey, another female pipe smoker here. You will find that the gentlemen on this site are a superior breed, surpassed by none. You will not get any harsh treatment, nor reprimand. As for the pipe shows, well, I've only attended one so far.

There were many women there as vendors and consumers alike, as well as spouses supporting their husbands/boyfriends. I didn't see any ladies other than myself lighting up, but then there was no smoking allowed in the building. There was a smoking section outside. Other than smiles and a few stares of disbelief when I went out to light up a pipe that I had purchased at the show, no one paid a whole lot of attention, and certainly didn't scoff. You may attract a lot of attention, but you will feel more like a super model than a nuisance.

So, welcome sister. You're in good company.

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. You will get to know many fine people as a member of this forum. Feel free to ask questions at any time.

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe smoking demographic is a high percent male, so it might take some Forums members a while, about
    seven seconds, to readjust. After that, they'll happily give you the same harassment they give everyone else
    no matter who they are.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. I agree that you will meet many fine, knowledgeable and generous members here.
    It is always nice to see another woman pipe smoker.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newbroom