PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Hey all,
The only reason I write this is because I eventually plan to go to a few pipe shows and possibly meet a few of you. I don't want their to be any surprises. I also want to feel like I am being myself and that it is okay to be myself on these forums. So, here it goes... I am a female pipe smoker. Some of you know this because of my comments in the Pipes Magazine Radio Show post: Prominent Woman Pipe Smokers. Others do not know this, as I have been called "young man" quite a few times. I don't think anyone on these forums will stop talking to me or be mean to be for this, but being a woman pipe smoker has gotten me some unfavorable reactions. For instance, at a pipe shop in town, I am treated as though I don't know much about anything when it comes to the hobby. Given, I am new-ish to it, I still know some things. If you don't like the fact that women smoke pipes, you are completely entitled to that opinion. I just ask that we be respectful to each other. For those who have been giving me advice and talking to me about my interests, I hope you don't think any differently about me now. Maybe someday we will meet at a pipe show and share a bowl.
Again, I do not think anyone would be mean to me after finding out I am a woman, I just like being another one of the people on the forum. Anyways, I just wanted to point it out since a few posters think I am a "young man," and if I meet anyone from the forums at shows, they won't be taken aback.
Smokey :puffy:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
No, we will think more of you. Smokey, I don't think there's a person on here that won't think it's cool you're a girl. Screw that pipe shop, they are lucky to have you. Many of us wish our women were more open to pipe smoking, but to find one that actually smokes herself is a treat. Puff on sis :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there, we have some fantastic female members of the forum community, and we're always happy to have new folks join us here in pipe-land. We're lucky you found this place as pipers of any gender seem to be in diminishing supply.
Thanks for being here, and sharing your pipe journey with us.
-- Pat

I think many tobacco stores have a "you gotta be tested" attitude, like I cant state my opinion on what I want until I've proven some stupid silly thing. Many places are like this, some hardware stores, welding supplies, etc... I frequently hear from women that they were singled out at these men run establishments. Maybe, but in my experience this is just how many men run their business. I typically just don't return to these places (if I have another option), because I don't have time to deal with retailers who want to make every bit of help I need with my selection a pissing contest. It's just a bad business model in my opinion.
That said, my daughter is testing the waters of pipe smoking. She is the type that is going to do what she wants regardless of what the world thinks. She sort of welcomes the head bashing, LOL. So, I have no problems with women pipe smokers. You'll at least smell better than a nasty cigarette smoker :eek:) ...and, maybe live longer.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Absolutely agree. it's good to know that there are at least three women pipers on the forum !!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey smokey - no one here will judge you based on sex. As long as I have been on this forum, this group has encouraged and welcomed women pipe smokers (we actually have several, including timely and roadqueen).
You were probably called a "young man" by some (not me) due in part to the photo - which now that I take a closer look indeed does show you to be a woman (but at a glance it's hard to tell).
For instance, at a pipe shop in town, I am treated as though I don't know much about anything when it comes to the hobby.
That is to be expected in many specialty shops (guns, fishing, cigar shops etc). Especially if you're under the age of 30 and confronted by a bunch of local yokels - lol! It's human nature unfortunately; but here at least you are welcome.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
You go, girl.
My grandmother dipped snuff and smoked a pipe! A cob, and it would not have been prudent to say something to her about what she did or did not know about snuff and pipes.
Welcome and keep your tobacco dry.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Smokey,

I can't imagine any of the fine folks I've met thus far from the forum would be anything but civil to you. There is some good natured kidding between some of the members but again it's not meant in a bad way.
You should not feel intimidated at a show simply because you are new to the pipe, in fact a good retort on your part would be to address anyone acting in that manner toward you if they had the same experience when they were new, you'll either find they will feel like a complete ass for having been that way or tell you that in fact they had.
Either way I should think the conversation would be a great ice breaker on your part and show you mean business, welcome to the pipe. Warm regard........

banjo

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
You Should talk with Timely another female pipe smoker who knows more about pipe smoking then me! and shes wonderful to deal with already purchased a number of Trypis pipe off me. I wouldn't worry i highly doubt you would be treated any differently and if you were it wouldn't be you that was in the wrong place rather the other, this community is helpful and polite and we have each others backs.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
After reading about all the posts of men ranting about how their wives and girlfriends disprove of the hobby, I would have a hard time believing the majority of pipe smokers would be against a woman joining our ranks. If anything you will have to fend off a few members with a stick. Good luck with your quest, I wish to see more of you in the future.

Jan 8, 2013
I think it's kind of weird... but I also think it's freaking great :D Smoke that pipe of yours and don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Seriously... if a woman can drive a 900+ horsepower race car, or go into space, or fight fires, or run for president (I'm sure one will make it someday)or fight in the millitary, or anything else you'd typically think of a man doing, then dangit a woman can smoke a pipe too!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
There are more than a few women at pipe shows, and even a few female pipemakers too! You won't be looked down on. You might get some stares, but no more than anywhere else! :wink:

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
fishnbanjo, I like the joking. That's the part I don't want to stop! I don't want people to think I can't take a harsh joke because I am a girl. To everyone, thanks for the welcome and support.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
On the contrary, we totally support women smokers! We have several here on the forum, and I'd like to think they are all treated as equals! It ads a certain spice to this Boy Scout camp! Welcome aboard!
Dan

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
BTW, it is difficult to discern your gender by your photo. Also, my photo does not depict me, as I am male and not a female with full body tattoos and a pet zebra...

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Great post Smokey. This great hobby devifitely has room for a few more female pipe smokers. Thanks for the clarification and I hope you enjoy your time here and at the shows you attend!

Status
Not open for further replies.