PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anenglishman

Lurker
May 23, 2011
Just spotted this on Yahoo.
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Smoking-disappear-2050-says-yahoofinanceuk-302170678.html
Whilst it is primarily about cigarettes it's interesting to speculate on the impact shrinking markets will have on the variety of tobaccos we currently enjoy.
We rely on you guys (+ Germany) not only to grow great pipe tobacco, but to smoke it in large enough quantities to keep tobacco curers and blenders in business.
Keep smoking!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I see they skipped the asian rim countries which are probably the biggest markets for cigarettes. The question I always ask myself is, why are any cigarette companies still HQ'd in the USA?

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I have no idea as to the answer to that question, but looking at the statistics..... I'm going to retire to Germany or Greece :lol:
Considering that the British Government makes around £12 billion a year in duty and VAT from tobacco (which does not include other revenue generated from the taxation of tobacco and subsidiary companies), I bet they are getting a bit twitchy. All of a sudden the Anti Smoking Nazi's are going to be presented with a massive shortfall which, you can bet your last penny on, the Government won't take that kind of hit without passing it on.
The ASN's will reap what they sow.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It would be interesting to know what percentage of those who say they have quit smoking have simply turned into "closet smokers". I know at least three people who, in the workplace, loudly proclaim that they gave up the evil weed several years ago. When they leave the parking lot at night and get a block or two away, their cars magically start to fill up with smoke. If you see someone at work who gets the jitters around 11:30 but comes back from lunch very relaxed, did they have a couple of drinks with their lunch or did they chain-smoke 5 or 6 cigarettes? Or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.