PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I have 10 of these mason jars. Will these suitable to store 1-2oz of tobacco?
Do these jars work better/worse than the 2 peice lid mason jars?
Thanks
20130721_164634.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Sterilize them, use current seals and rings. Then, BE CAREFUL ! Old glass is very brittle - my wife has the 3" long scar to prove it.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
These jars are all less than a year old.
You said to use new rings and seals, but this is a solid twist on cap.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I would not use those as they do not seal airtight. The mason jars we talk about are Ball Mason jars, normally sold as 8oz containers, like 12 for $8 or so at most stores. They have a rubber gasket built into the lids, which cost about 10 cents each or so.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I guess the real question is; are you going to cellar the tobacco in these jars, or is the tobacco in these jars going to be smoked in the near future? If you are going to cellar the tobacco then I would just buy new Ball Mason jars and go that route. If you're going to be smoking the tobacco int these jars then I think you'll be fine, but you may want to go with rothnh's suggestion depending how long it will take you to smoke it.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
My intent is short term storage, maybe a month or two. I'm just going to order a few 1 oz samples and wanted something to put them in until i smoked them all.
I know the difference in mason jars. I suppose I should have been more descriptive in what my intent was.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Ball Mason Jars are much better. Screw on lid jars take in air. And for heaven sakes, invest in brand new jars instead of recycling a spaghetti sauce jar. If you feel you must save a penny or two and use a recycled jar, then Peanut Butter jars are best. The flavor of your favorite tobacco tends to stick to the roof of your mouth for quite some time after you've finished smoking.
Pipestud

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I buy new lids and screw tops, and they DO fit perfectly on those Classico sauce jars. I use them for more than just tobacco, and they're as good as new Ball jars. Recycle.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What you have there is an Atlas E-Z Seal jar, the last of which was made in the 1960's.

Moreover, it was never intended to be sealed by the twist-on lid from a spaghetti sauce jar.
Since the jar bears the "Mason" name, it probably conforms to the original patent for thread diameter and pitch,

so a set of brand new lids and thread rings will probably work, as Roth and others have suggested. This is, IMO,

the way to go. While you're at the store, buy a case of the smallest (½-pint) wide mouth Mason jars, as suggested.

Great for pipe tobacco aficionados to have on hand.
Some people are compulsive re-purposers, and I can understand that. It's good for the environment too. If you like

doing that sort of thing, I have had success using the jars and original lids from Smuckers™ preserves and jams.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I have used them for short term storage, really need to ensure you don't have any lingering garlic aroma.. For the larger Classico jars a standard two piece lid fits perfectly. I picked up a case of 12 - 500mL jars at Canadian Tire last week for $7.00 as well for long term cellaring. The 500mL jars hold 4oz of tobacco easily.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Thanks for the advice. Money isnt the issue per se, but why buy something when you already have it? It's a wasteful society we live in, and I certainly don't like wasting my money.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well canadianbacon (your site handle makes me salivate), I frankly don't think you would be wasting money by investing in the best containers you can afford when it comes to protecting the contents of the tobacco you spend your hard earned cash on. And while your intent may be to store your tobacco for only a month or two, that is still plenty of time for the tobacco to dry out in a compromised container. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance but that's just me. And what if you discover that your "month or two" has turned into six months and when you finally get back to the tobacco you find out it's as crispy as your breakfast cornflakes that go nicely, by the way, with Canadian Bacon? :wink:
Pipestud

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto, Roth / Stud. I think that besides the loss of moisture, things like essential oils, tars, organics and other volatiles escape, or lose proper balance. It's part of the reason I don't trust anything other than glass or, for the most part, original packaging.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I never said I wouldn't spend the money on protecting an investment. My question was to find out if it was worth spending the extra money to do so. More money doesn't mean more quality, and it can mean more clutter (in my case if I have to buy more jars).
Some are quick to accuse, rather than to see what the question is truly asking.
It was a simple question. Thank you to those who suggested trying out the lids for the jars I already have. That is great advice. If that fails, I will look into getting new jars.
Thank you for the help.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Don't feel like you're being taken to task on this. It was a simple question, but conversations usually expand around issues like this and drift from your original intent -- like eddies expanding away from the main whirlpool. :D

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 duck fat, for 30 - 60 days, zip lock baggies, after you buy what you like, +1 everyone else. You can probably get Ball at your grocery store also.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Here's another +1 for Roth. And canadianbacon, I just looked over the posts and no one here suggested that you wouldn't spend the money to protect your investment. And no post on this thread that I found accused you of anything either. I did see that a lot of guys were trying to be helpful in giving you their opinions based on experience and I picked up a few helpful tips myself from the contributing members. So, I thank everyone who contributed, too!
Pipestud

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, however when one implies that there is no other option, it isn't an open conversation more so one directional conversation. I'm not here to argue. Thank you for your posts. I have learned more because of them.

Aug 1, 2012
What you have there is an Atlas E-Z Seal jar, the last of which was made in the 1960's.

Moreover, it was never intended to be sealed by the twist-on lid from a spaghetti sauce jar.
Since the jar bears the "Mason" name, it probably conforms to the original patent for thread diameter and pitch,

so a set of brand new lids and thread rings will probably work, as Roth and others have suggested. This is, IMO,

the way to go. While you're at the store, buy a case of the smallest (½-pint) wide mouth Mason jars, as suggested.

Great for pipe tobacco aficionados to have on hand.
He's got the right answer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.