Will the FDA Stop Future Sale On Bulk Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,
Does anyone know if the future of bulk tobacco is in jeopardy? I can see it headed towards tobacco tins only as a sealed "safety" packing concern. Anyone read anything? Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The mandates I'm aware of are the date of the introduction of a blend on the market, and probably uniform ominous warnings on the label. Neither of those would eliminate bulk sales, only of recent blends and packages lacking ominous warnings. But better legal heads on Forums have studied this more closely than I.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Oh I’m sure it isn’t out of the realm of possibility. When they legalized cannabis here in Canada 7 months ago the news was talking about the crazy amount of packaging for consumer safety. I haven’t seen bulk tobaccos in b&m’s here in forever - probably due to really low demand. But factory sealed is easier for the tax man to monitor/track.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, sadly.
I wonder to what degree the various states legislation will play a role. Some nanny states, like CA, may shut down tobacco trade way before others.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
My guess is that the various states will wind up legislating this @jpmcwjr, although the extent depends partially on if you are planning to purchase your "tobacco products" from your local B&M or online (note that both tobacco and pipes themselves, and pipe parts, are considered by the FDA to be "tobacco products"). States like Michigan have already banned the online purchase of "tobacco products" such as the aforementioned outright, subject to fines, seizures and possible jail time (5y). It's not hard to see other states following suit.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The FDA has their sites on us. Local governments are looking to tax the piss out of us. The possibility that someone ends tobacco sales online is a real thing.
Any way you look at it, pipe smokers are screwed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
States like Michigan have already banned the online purchase of "tobacco products" such as the aforementioned outright, subject to fines, seizures and possible jail time (5y). It's not hard to see other states following suit.
But is that not only if the taxes haven't been paid? I wouldn't read it as an outright ban, but then again I don't live in MI and wouldn' t have such draconian rules or laws to deal with.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
The signs to be placed in B&Ms in MI say: "It is a violation of the Michigan Tobacco Products Tax Act to posses tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, snuff, etc) in the state of Michigan that were purchased from unlicensed vendors (Michigan license) either over the internet, thru the mail, or from retail stores in bordering states. Penalties include liability for the tobacco tax, penalties of 500% of the tax, seizure of the tobacco products, seizure of your vehicle if used to transport the untaxed tobacco products, five years in prison an/or a fine of $5000."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, that'll diminish sales all the way around. I doubt it will build B&M sales, maybe a slight bump for a while, but a generally cooling of the market, which is not red hot in the first place. I'll look forward to, first my weekly bowl, and then my monthly bowl, and then my bowl for special holidays only. Let's see, how can we submit seniors to other gloom-inducing reductions in their creature comforts. As I smoke up my five/six years' worth. Maybe order another bag or tub or two.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
As far as the FDA goes, I think B&Ms are safe because they're allowing tobaccos to be blended by hand in retail stores.
Russ

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I'm really glad to hear that, Russ. I'd thought in-house blending was one of the things that was being outlawed under the new regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.