PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I don't think I ever got an answer on getting at the draft hole with a pipe cleaner in my new Peterson System Standard #31.
It's a small stummel/small bowl straight billiard style, but even using a flashlight, I cannot see the draft hole, and have yet to find the correct spot to run the pipe cleaner into and through it - only the moisture reservoir.
Clues? Ideas? Is it just not a popular pipe because of this and because of its small size? (I like it for trying certain new tobaccos and pocketability.
Member help was great for my 301 System. That was an estate pipe and it's a wonderful smoker.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
This is a strange problem to have... I cannot help you.
You're telling me that you cannot locate the draft hole even when shining a light through the bowl and looking at the shank for a glimmer of light?

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Its because the draught hole is in the very bottom centre of the bowl and the reservoir is under the bowl. Just run a cleaner through the hole at the bottom of the bowl and use doubled over cleaners and q-tips in the resevoir to clean it out. Its what I do with mine.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Yes, Roth, straight stem, and yes, Spartan - the opening is very marrow, so maybe the light just doesn't hit it. I think it's on the top side of the shaft, but I haven't been able to get a pipe cleaner up into it so that it comes out into the bowl.
I can only blow into the pipe to expel any tobacco fragments, but I want to remove the tars as well.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
@boudreaux please refer to my post above, you can't pass a pipe cleaner in the traditional sense in the system 31.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@chopsie - Ahh, Thank you. (Wonder why your post did not appear when I wrote my previous comment? Was sure I'd refreshed the page.) No matter, answer appreciated!

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
The modern system 31 has the hole in the center of the bottom, but the best thing to explain this that I could find was this picture. Hope it helps.
peterson-system-diagram.jpg

I find qtips till they come out clean then a doubled over pipe cleaner work best to clean it. Also just simply take out the stem and dump any liquid out after your smoke or if its gurgling, just be sure to have a tissue of handkerchief handy to wipe the excess off the nickel.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@roth - The original question concerned cleaning the reservoir and bentmike's photos helped to clarify that with my 301 bent, since a flashlight clearly revealed the draught hole and the reservoir below it. But on this straight stem billiard system model, the distinction between the two areas was not evident, until chopsie pointed out the difference. I don't have tar buildup in the reservoir and I'm using the q-tip method you've mentioned to clean that, so all is well now.
Hope this clarifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.