PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
A minor relapse but still backsliding for sure.
I couldn't resist the beckoning of the Smokingpipes.com ad in my mailbox this morning heralding the arrival of some new Ropp pipes. I clicked just to have a look and found myself intensely interested in an all briar (no metal) Falcon-like pipe called The Normandie which to my eye is a delightful odd looking affair. I had to have one. Of course I can't check out without throwing in some tobacco, so I got an 8 oz tin of Hearth and Home Ambassador's Blend.
I got out of there with just over a hundred bucks worth of damage to pocket book and minor bruises to my self esteem. Not too bad.
normandie_zpsz2za5f8u.jpg

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
An interesting piece and don't be to hard on yourself. It could have been much much worse.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That is definitely an interesting looking pipe. I hope it's a good smoker!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Tuold: Oh, goodness, dear fellow, you got a mere nick. My PAD this month has been raging. You are not even close!
And, that is a really good looking pipe. I, too, hope it smokes well for you. That should heal any bruises you might have incurred.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If it's any consolation, I probably would have succumbed to that purchase as well. Very interesting and unique piece. I hope it smokes as good as it looks. Enjoy.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I dig it. It would be nice if you could get extra bowls for it for different blends or even a meerschaum bowl.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
jdhayes:
I dig it. It would be nice if you could get extra bowls for it for different blends or even a meerschaum bowl.
Yes, that would be nice, but I really doubt it's compatible with anything out there. I've got enough loose bowls (had to watch my typing there) floating around here from various manufacturers I can certainly see if any fit.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You know, it's not until you get this 4", 1 oz pipe in your hands that you realize exactly how small it is. It's good for a 15 minute sample smoke. It's nicely made and a bit of a conversation piece but probably not worth $75.00 unless you have use for this sort of thing. It will travel well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, don't jump to conclusions. Compact pipes can smoke for quite a while with flake/plug/rope, and are great for shorter smokes with loose cuts, sampling, or multi-course sessions. I have one Ropp, a red pipe with silver-tone band, a straight apple, that I was given for Christmas (though it isn't a Xmas pipe per se). Yes, yours should travel well as a pocket pipe, and it's unique design will make it a favorite, I'd guess. I'm never sure if I'm more pleased resisting PAD or caving. I'm haunted by a few pipes I didn't buy.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I appreciate the encouragement. I took the pipe out of its box and smoked some PS Turkish in it. Not bad.
I'm starting to build my next tobacco order so I'll try the SG rope. Never had that one. Pipestud's review said it knocked his boots off. Am I ready for that? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.