Will Missouri Meerschaum Bring Back The Reverse Calabash?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've been in love with the concept of owning one of these puppies if and when MM decides to make them again. Does anyone have any idea if they will or not? In my current searches I've found one on the Bay, but it's a little steep for my wallet for what it is. I hope they do make more at some point, as I'd really love to snatch one up.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
AD 2021?
Didn't they say in their promo video that they have to have special corn cobs to make those? Maybe that explains why they don't make them every year.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Maybe, but $50 is pretty high for a cob.
20180224_002736.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a real penny pincher as anyone who has been on Forums knows, but fifty bucks for a MM cob with some extra features hardly seems pricey to me. I've bought two of their special ad>/dition pipes, the Dagner and the Charles Townes, at about $24, with acrylic stems and distinct design, and I think this double calabash at $50 would be worth it. Cobs can last for decades or more. I no longer think of them as disposable per se. I've refitted several regular MM's with Forever stems. It just depends on your sense of what an MM cob is. If you still think of it as a sort of cheap and temporary, I wouldn't spend fifty bucks on one either. If you spend years with cobs that have done well and better than some briars, that makes a difference.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
They addressed the cost when they released them... After hearing what their costs were, they really don't make much money for the effort that it takes to produce them.
In any case, they are quite special if you can get your hands on one. The materials may not equal $50 in your eyes... but the craftsmanship and effort does.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I think they look great and would love to get a hold of one if they ever do another run. I missed all the releases since I didn't pick the pipe back up until about March or April of last year and didn't have a clue that they existed. If I had, I would gotten one for sure. I can see how much they would have to put into making them so $50 is more than worth it to me. Like Tom, I own two of their other higher end pipes, the Dagner and the MM Charles Towne Cobbler. I love both and smoke them in my rotation quite often. I might even pick up another couple of those some time in the future just because I like them so much.
I hope they make another run some time and I will leap at the opportunity to pick one up. Hell, even if they don't smoke too well, the design in itself is cool to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have yet to smoke my 2018, but my 2015 has been heavily and regularly smoked and is still in really great shape. Worth $50 to me, but many disagreed.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
LOL. I haven't smoked my 2018 either. Just dunno what blend would be best for it.
I'm also afraid to char the rim. Dunno why, but unlike my briars, all my cobs have ended up with charred rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.