PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Here is one you don't see very often. Will be interesting to see what it goes for. I wish the seller's pictures were better.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131247462482?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The seller may very well get that amount or something very close to it. It's not just an unsmoked Dunhill, it's the entire box and contents, including wrapping papers, envelope with tubes, etc. It's all just as it would have left the shop in 1925. While Dunhill wasn't a small operation in terms of number of pipes made, there probably aren't many complete sets around at any price. Collectors of vintage British pipes do pay these kinds of prices, and a hell of a lot more. They're not buying this to put a match to it. This is a different area of the "hobby".

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
+1 Sablebrush52-

Really hard to put a $$ value on this, could be the only one in existence! Agreed that its value is increased by having the box etc. still intact. Wish I had the $$$ :roll:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, one bidder expressed his opinion with a $0.99 bid but I'm with sable on this one. The set is complete and in great condition. How old is the briar in a 89 year-old pipe? Yes, I can see a serious collector paying this and more under these circumstances. We'll have to follow this to see where it settles out.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I'd light that baby up. My guess is that it will get a top bid of $600. and will not meet reserve. Anyone else have a guess at the final amount?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Maybe not $1200 but that pipe will bring quite a high bid I'm sure.
Pretty damn cool to see a Dunhill that old complete in box and unsmoked. I'd somewhere between $500-600.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'd light that baby up. My guess is that it will get a top bid of $600. and will not meet reserve. Anyone else have a guess at the final amount?
Nice find, and I agree, the photos are piss poor and IMO could hurt the possibility of a sale.
But I could see it reaching $1000. $1200 doesn't seem too outrageous to me. The seller obviously wants to earn as much as he can and would probably kick himself for selling it for $500 or even $800 if he can get more. Plus Dunhill has a mystique that many people appreciate.
My guess is that the reserve is $1000.
If it gets noticed, especially by overseas buyers in China, I could see it meeting the reserve (tho "reserve" prices always rub me the wrong way). Tho the buyer will need a US or Canadian address.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
To hell with collecting pipes for "show". I've only got one life to live and I don't care how rare a pipe, haha I'm going to smoke that shit!

May 31, 2012
Wow.

8O
He's got alotta rare stuff going up, and a boatload of shank logo Woodies.
The pix could definitely be better.
If it was a super gnarly 1925 unsmoked Shell I'd like it better!

:lol:
If I laid out that kind of bread, I don't think I could bring myself to smoke it,

good thing I won't have to worry about that moral dilemma! :?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013

Easily over 1200$, we've seen unsmoked dunhills go for more than that without the box. 1200$ is actually a pretty fair reserve for that. Whoever just buys it at that will pay cheaper than what it will go for.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm going to say 2,500$ if it goes to auction and someone doesn't buy it now. There was a group 1 lady pipe we saw go for 1200$, no box, unsmoked as well.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm guessing $1300-1500. That group 1 lady pipe was a rarity, one-off model. This one, IMO, is more common, but the original box et al makes it worth so much more. Really uncanny, when you think about it, how its survived this long, unsmoked and unmolested. Would be really neat if it had the original sales receipt with it. Wonder what it sold for originally? I have an unsmoked 1964 Dunny that sold for 40 dollars, egual to about 300 in today's money.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
$_57.JPG

The bottom pic it's hard to tell if that's a mark from being dropped or what or if it's just part of a bad picture.
$_57.JPG

Also there's that writing, it looks like it could buff right off but who knows?
And why hasn't peck bought it yet?

May 31, 2012
I'm no Dunhill expert, but I think perhaps the pipe is from 1924 --- the underlined 4 after the pat. would indicate so --- what's confusing is the 12 after England, which usually means 1932 --- is it possible that this pipe was made in 1924 and not sold (with the 12 being added at the time of sale) until 1932?!?!?!? Who knows?

1922 - 1925 - Date Code. From 1922 on pipes can be reliably dated based on the date code stamping that immediately follows either the "MADE IN ENGLAND" or patent stamping and is generally found either raised and/or underlined. "2" indicates 1922, "3" 1923, "4" 1924 and "5" 1925.

- John Loring
The early Dunnies can be confusing.
I have a Dunhill Bruyere with clear 1920 stampings (i.e. a "D" without tails rather then with tails) except for an equally clear raised underlined "1" date code. One could view this as simply an inconsistent "DUNHILL" stamp use, on the other hand knowing that Dunhill has long had a history of supplementary stampings dating back to at least 1922, it seems far more likely to me that this pipe was manufactured and initially stamped in 1920 but remained unsold at the time the one year guarantee was introduced in 1921 and received a supplementary date code stamp at that time.

- John Loring
I'm pretty sure that the pat. # here was used only up until 1926, so that verifies the early age, but the 12 after England is indeed an odd mystery...any Dunhill experts can get me hip?

...look for the date code--generally a small digit, which can be placed variously on the pipe on the right side (sometimes after "INNER TUBE", sometimes after "MADE IN ENGLAND", etc). If it is a single digit between 2 and 9, then you have determined the year of manufacture (2, for example, representing 1922 and 7, for example, representing 1927). If it is an 0, however, or a double digit then the pipe was made later. 0 would be the code for 1930 and 11 would be the code for 1931.

- John Loring
Looking at PipePhil reveals a lot, but I'm still confused! :oops:

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent1.html
If the 105 is the shape #, then it is a small pipe, a Grp. 1 size

65dh6.jpg

The seller should also have a picture of the box stampings, it's pretty incredible the difference that can be made if the box is original to the pipe (correct shape # corresponding to the pipe) --- if it ain't the original box, many collectors will discount and disregard it altogether in forming a threshold price...speculation on my part, but I believe this to be the case.
I await the day I make such a discovery - the chances are good because they made so many and they were often given as gifts which went into a closet or attic at some point --- this pipe was such a discovery and it has the same 4 after the same pat.#, but no # after England...

http://drgrabows.wonko.myfreeforum.org/index.php?component=content&topicid=3702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
...it's all very interesting ain't it?

:P

May 31, 2012
anybody real familiar with this fable?
He's just sprucing it up with a bit of hyperbole, the Bruyere finish was the most common they had, often a dark plummy deep red to emphasize the shape because many Dunhills don't really have extraordinary grain.
It is pretty damn cool though,

I've been looking for a grp.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.