Will Age Mellow Out the H&H Burley Kake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I've got 1/2 pound of Classic Burley Make, and the surprise it gave me wasn't a very happy one. Having experienced at the local B&M a few burley-heavy blends with black cav or Virginia's, I thought I understood the Burley animal. Those blends taste a lot richer than "flavored" blends, they are very mellow, and boy do they ever smell good! Maybe it's the Burley which I'm not used to, but H&H Burley Kake tasted overpoweringly strong and not quite pleasant. It tasted much more like anise or menthol than the "chocolate" and "maple" in the description. If you had a similar experience with this blend, did time in a jar fix it for you?

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
oOOPS!!! Stupid tablet thumbs while distracted again! What I meant to say is maybe the taste surprised me because I never tried anything with Kentucky before - can that give any blend a strong, sort of mentholated taste?

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I would guess that the anise flavor contributes to the menthol taste you're experiencing, but that's just a guess. What are other opinions on CBK? I'm curious too because it's on my list.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
I only smoke about 8 ounces of it a week, so obviously I think it is mellow enough. Never even a hint of menthol.
I do not age it other than buying it $100.00 worth at a time so I can get free shipping.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I really think that the enjoyment of burley blends is relative to the PH environment of your mucosa and that their flavors develop over time, as your palate adjusts.

This generalization can be said for any blend, I suppose, but for me, burleys are the most apt to start out with less than stellar results that become much better with practice.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I actually find CBK to be one of the mellowest, most velvety-smooth codger-style burleys I've smoked. I've noticed a light cocoa-ish, possibly slight anise hint to it, but never anything near menthol or minty. I have not aged any on purpose, but have not noticed any change with my open tins.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I love the flavor of H&H Burley Kake, but it bites me like a rabid dog. For me, it is the anise topping they use. It does not agree with my body chemistry. Too bad, because I enjoy the tobacco.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Well, since no one answered your question... I doubt age will mellow out a Burley. It never has for me.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
The responses in this thread are reassuring. I'm not sure what menthol flavor puffndave was getting but I'm ready to order some CBK for my recent burley phase.

I only smoke about 8 ounces of it a week, so obviously I think it is mellow enough. Never even a hint of menthol.
I do not age it other than buying it $100.00 worth at a time so I can get free shipping.

anarchisthermit, P&C has a deal going right now where you get a free lighter when you order a pound of H&H bulk. Could be useful to you. :)

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I like Classic Burley as well. I don't recall a menthol taste to either, but I suppose body chemistry could account for that. It's worth trying out. I have a pound and half myself.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I thought classic burly Kake was as smooth as a baby's butt. Reminds me of Graham crackers.
Maybe you need to clean out your pipe or something.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Short answer....YES it will mellow.. I got hooked on this a few years back when a friend sent me some to try that had been age for about 1 1/2 years.... Smoked it nonstop till I ran out. So I loved it so much I bought several pounds of the stuff. When it came YUCK! what was this stuff they sent me? It looked like it, but taste was off. Packed it away and tried about six months later, much better!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If it's too wet it will make a big difference in taste too, I've never had CBC but any tobacco I've smoked that was too wet was really harsh and gross tasting.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
CBK had too much casing / topping for me and smoked like an aromatic ... gave mine away.
If you want to explore Burley some more, I'll recommend a few from C&D:
Big N' Burley

Pegasus

Briar Fox

Old Joe Krantz

Morley's Best

Billy Budd

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Short answer....YES it will mellow
I agree with John. Cellar it up and give it some time to meld.

Status
Not open for further replies.