Will a Briar pipe gurgle less than my Brazilian wood pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I've tried ALL methods avaiable for it to stop gurgling. Filters, cleaning, smoking slower, some more, etc. and it's not really doing the job. It sometimes gets very hot!
This is the pipe (I don't know the kind of the wood, just that's Brazilian):
QsWpro8B840.jpg

I want to smoke more relaxedly.
Will changing to Briar (which absorbs less heat) help?
Thank you and by the way I'm Rodrigo Machado from Brazil, you can call me Machado or as you like. Nice to meet you.

The pipe has a bent stem, which could be the causes of turbulence, which could cause condensation inside the stem. Usually the causes of hot pipe and gurgle are smoking too fast and not drying your tobacco. Lots of people enjoy bent pipes, but they "can" be more prone to gurgle.
Would switching to briar help? Maybe. It really depends on whether your technique is the cause, or the pipe's design. However, I betcha if you did get your technique down to prevent a hot bowl and gurgle in this one, then you would enjoy a briar more. They can gurgle and get hot also, if not careful.
So, I will go on record as a definite "MAYBE" :puffy:

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I must also say that this was a very cheap pipe (around 25 dollars) probably made of very low quality wood.
The quality can't be good, can it?

Since it is not briar, it probably is a "lower" quality pipe. I don't always go by price alone, because their are some really good pipes sold very cheaply.

If you just want to get a new pipe, then by all means. It will probably give a boost to your pipe enjoyment. I think that the aroma of warm briar is something we don't talk about much, but gives us a huge percentage of the pipe experience as a whole. It gives blends that pipe-y smell.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Drying tobacco that doesn't have much humectant (so: no aromatics) will go a long way to solving the problem. Nice pipe! Can you ID the material somehow?
And welcome to the forum!

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I know that getting a new pipe will boost my pipe enjoyment experience. What I would like to know if it would maybe improve the gurgling problem...
As for my pipe, here it his a very similar model (couldn't find mine online):

https://loja.charutosecachimbos.com.br/cachimbo-bazzanelli-imbuia-28-p44414/
Thanks for the welcoming!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suggest you try a name brand straight briar pipe, to increase the likelihood that it will be a pipe that doesn't gurgle. Then dry your tobacco somewhat, and start with a blend that isn't particularly moist. A straight briar pipe doesn't need to be expensive. If money is an issue, try a MM cob; I like the ones that come with an acrylic stem. Most pipes don't gurgle, much or ever.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
mso409, I'm thinking of buying this one. It's a Savinelli of roughly 100 dollars and seems to be very cool-looking to me.
https://www.worldcigars.com.br/prod,idloja,12461,idproduto,5691007
What do you think?
I'm already drying the tobacco for my next smoke to see how it goes.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm also thinking about buying a corncob because of the price. My budget is limited.
Heat-wise, how are they?
Are they recommended to cool tobaccos or just cheap ones?
I'd like suggestions, please.
Thank you!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Savinellis are top quality. I don't think you can go wrong with them, even with their cheaper models. If you want something even cheaper, but still good, try looking for a Rossi, which is a sub-brand of Savinelli.
I was gonna suggest this one: https://loja.charutosecachimbos.com.br/cachimbo-savinelli-fuoco-rusticated-ks-315-p44750/
I will STRONGLY suggest not to buy chinese pipes. Unless you're buying a designer pipe selling for $800 dollars, the 'budget' ones are sinojunk. If you want a cob, then get a Missouri Meerschaum or Old Dominion.
I've also noted that pipes that are tapered upwards, volcano-like, tend to get hotter than those whose chambers have an even thickness ('parejas').
Do note that many Savinellis use filters (balsa wood filters), either 6 mm (most common) or 9 mm (most common in Europe). If you don't want to use a filter, make sure the pipe comes with an adapter or buy one at the same time you purchase the 'cachimbo' (funny name, I'm duly noting it ;) ). Then again, a filter might help with the gurgling problem if it's excessive moisture that's causing it.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I'm also thinking about buying a corncob because of the price. My budget is limited.
Heat-wise, how are they?
Are they recommended to cool tobaccos or just cheap ones?
Cobs are just like any other pipe. they'll be used to smoked. I'd say, go for it. It never go wrong with Corn Cobs. There's no problem about the heat. Sometimes, even my cob are cooler than my briar.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gurgling is not caused by the material of the pipe but more so by the shape and humidity, as others have already said.
Getting a good straight stem cob might be a good starting place for you.
Welcome to the forums by the way!

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Thanks a lot for the answers!!
I have 2 more questions.
1 - Does the heat affect the gurgling or not?
2 - Why not use a corncob if they are much less expensive than briar?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 on corn cobs. They are certainly not the be-all, end-all of pipe smoking, but they have their place and are a great place to start. I have a lot of corn cob pipes in my rotation. If you get a cob, be sure its a "Missouri Meerschaum" brand pipe.
One more point on the gurgle issue: Smoking Captain Black is certainly one cause of pipe gurgle. It's a wet, goopy tobacco. If you like Captain Black, then it would probably smoke better in a corn cob since they are so absorbent. On the occasion that I smoke aromatics, it's in a corn cob.

1. The heat and gurgle are related, because usually puffing too hard causes both.

2. not everyone likes the rotten corn taste of cobs. They look cheap. I hate the way they smoke. To some of us, they are associated with poverty and what people used to wipe their rumps with after defecating. There are so many more virtuous aspects about briar that makes it way more attractive to some of us. But, despite all of that, there are guys who don't mind smoking them. It's all about choice.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Cobs are also less durable. But they're so cheap, that they're nearly disposable.
Cobs vs briar is a bit of a can o' worms. Some swear by their cobs (just do a youtube search for 'aristocob' and you'll see what I mean: AFAIK the man smokes nothing but cobs), and some swear by their briars. The truth is that both have their own intrinsic characteristics and their own strengths and weaknesses. To name just one thing: the stem: cobs' stems are cheap plastic (though you can buy better ones, of course) whereas briars sport acrylic or vulcanite stems (more durable and easier on the teeth, respectively).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They look cheap. [...] To some of us, they are associated with poverty [...] There are so many more virtuous aspects about briar that makes it way more attractive

^^

This.
Cobs are apparently less prone to ghosting, so they should be good for trying out different blends. Personally, I don't care much about ghosting, and I don't dedicate pipes to blends, although I might do to genres. That being said, I'd definitely dedicate a pipe for lakelands.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Thanks for the answers again! So, if I use a wood or any other material that resists to heat better than my current one (like corncob or briar), there is a better chance of it resisting to gurgling?
Also, there's only one corncob pipe avaiable here in the shop I buy, this one:

https://www.worldcigars.com.br/prod,idloja,12461,idproduto,3652603,cachimbos-importados-corn-cob-espiga-de-milho-cachimbo-corn-cob-missouri-original

Is this one recommendable?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yup, that's the brand of cob you want. I have several of them and they don't disappoint (except in the looks department, but I don't wear a suit every day anyway).
Do note that even cobs can get hot. For that reason, I go for the models with the thicker walls. Again, if your pipe is getting too hot you're smoking too fast: slow down.
I'm a fast smoker, and I don't do breath method. So, my slow down technique is to take a sip and then count to 16, then sip again. No hot pipe like that, unless the chamber walls are too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.