PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
By McClelland

Highly Recommended

This one has lots of Richness and a depth of several different tobaccos going on in the mix

Comes off like a very savory English, but not overpowering

Seems to get better after having tried say 3-4x

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Now that you mention Legends, I found it somewhat harsh--much to my surprise. Was my experience my own or did anyone else feel the same?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hmm. . . I seem to not be on the same page.
After a whole tin of Wilderness -- which had three years of age on it -- I concluded that it was a light English with Syrian overtones, where the orientals were mostly background elements. The Syrian latakia rarely came through with the kind of high floral notes I expect from that leaf; I don't know if it was past its prime or just not that flavorful to start with.
In the end, I decided it was "perfectly acceptable" as a light English but that, for me, it was unremarkable. I ended up smoking the final bowls more out of a sense of duty than pleasure.
Bob

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I find it interesting that this blend is considered a light English by so many when it might well be the closest thing to a Syrian "lat bomb" on the market -- over 30 percent Syrian, which is generally considered a lot stronger than Cyprian. I love the flavor of this stuff, but it suffers from the same curse that virtually all McClelland's suffer from: it is WAY too mild. I've yet to find a McClelland English that wasn't far too light for me to derive satisfaction from, even though most of them are exceedingly tasty.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Syrian, which is generally considered a lot stronger than Cyprian"
By whom? The Syrian I've had -- from the pedestrian to the glorious leaf in Greg Pease's blends -- has been lightly floral and incense-like, with little of the "campfire smokiness" so often associated with latakia. If not handled carefully in blends combining both Syrian and Cypriot, it is easily overwhelmed by its darker, smokier cousin.
At least that's been my experience.
Bob

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Every written source I've ever come across, including GLP, refers to Syrian as being significantly stronger than it's counterpart. Of course, "stronger" isn't always defined. Does it mean fullness of flavor, nicotine, what? I'd wager that most of the Syrian blends on the market contain relatively small amount compared to what a comparable Cyprian blend might contain. I can't vouch for any of it, though -- I've never been able to blend with it, so it's all kind of academic. It's also kind of hard to tell exactly how much of what you're tasting is Syrian as opposed to the various orientals in a mixture. Wilderness has got six or seven different oriental varietals, some of them quite strong.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I think Syrian and Cyprian occupy different parts of the frequency spectrum. I think of Cyprian the bottom half of the orchestra, cellos, basses, contrabassoons, bass clarinets, tuba. I think of Syrian as a wind quintet.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I tried Legends first and it was fairly underwhelming, so I still have my trial tin of Wilderness in the back. When I finally kill the tin of Legends, I'll crack it.
As to the Cyprian v Syrian Latakia, I had always been told the shekk-el-bint tobacco of Syrian latakia starts out stronger in nicotine than the Smyrna that is cured into Cyprian Latakia. The Syrian always seemed drier, and really tastes like smoked Oriental tobacco. Cyprian tatstes darker and makes me think of the smell when you are digging in very rich dirt and moss, but with no Oriental note. But I have never been able to discern a noticable difference in nicotine between the two. Even if Syrian is 30% stronger, it's still pretty weak compared to others.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Is it mild in nicotine? I like anything from medium to full and have this detraction in my mind that McClelland's = mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.