PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My wife had a terrier that she just loved to death. Rebuilt its shoulders loved. Cared for it after it went blind loved. She was a sweet girl. She was put down yesterday due to cancer. So I took her out today to downtown Portland to Powell's books and out to eat after to take her mind off it.
RIP Sadie 2007-2017

Survived by:

Chloe the Chihuahua

Zeus the Brazilian Mastiff

Callie the Calico Cat

Thomas S. Magnum the cheeky Siamese Cat.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My condolences to you both. I was once adopted by a stray Rat Terrier, and he was the light of my life.
Such news always brings to mind the following poem by Rudyard Kipling:
“The Power of the Dog”
"THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day;

And when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
"Buy a pup and your money will buy

Love unflinching that cannot lie—

Perfect passion and worship fed

By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.

Nevertheless it is hardly fair

To risk your heart for a dog to tear.
"When the fourteen years which Nature permits

Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,

And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs

To lethal chambers or loaded guns,

Then you will find—it’s your own affair—

But … you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.
"When the body that lived at your single will,

With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).

When the spirit that answered your every mood

Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,

You will discover how much you care,

And will give your heart to a dog to tear.
"We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long—

So why in—Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
@huntertrw: That poem is wonderful and so true!
@wyfbane: I feel with you! I dare not to think about the day when the first of our beloved sighthounds will have to go.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
So sorry to hear this. I have been unable to get another four legged pal since my last one died, it was just too hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah critters. We take them on as "pets," but to them we are food sources and soul mates. They study us far more closely than we do them, and they weave their way into our minds and hearts with a steady determination and considerable delight. Heart wrenching as it is to lose them, I do not question taking on another. I used to think I was choosing them, but now I laugh at the notion. They know exactly what they're doing, and they do not expect or approve of us going without four-legged supervision when they're gone. When you get your "draft notice," just go to the grocery and buy some cans of food and get with the program. It's not really an optional deal.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The late author Gene Hill once wrote, "Someone said that the only place you can bury a dog is in your heart. That way you can call the dog in for a little chat now and then--teasing it about being a clumsy puppy and looking down at your old hunting boots remembering who it was that put the teeth marks in them. You can hunt a day or so again, together, when you need a certain kind of memory--another day you like better than the one you're living in right now."
Well said, Sir, well said...

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Always sad to hear the passing of a loved pet. They bring so much into our lives, almost as if they were our children. Their love is so unconditional. My condolences to your wife and family. Having the other pets will help to cushion some of the loss.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My condolences. As the Kipling poem Hunter posted expresses, dogs are heartbreaking.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am sorry to hear this. They leave their little footprints across our souls, somehow... amazing how much comfort and joy one finds in a spirited canine.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I feel for you brother. I to had to say good-bye to my last baby "Rebel" from cancer last year. No more for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Condolences to your whole family. We lost a dog one year ago, and the memory fades very slowly. We still have two, and are grateful.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I can't imagine the pain. I'm sorry. I can watch the starving kids commercials with out batting an eye, but Sarah Michelle Gellar comes on with those sad puppy dogs, and I have to change the channel immediately.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Sad news, my English Mastiff is an old girl, and near the end of her journey, so this is a time to appreciate time together.. Dogs make us better people.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Dogs are simply the greatest. I think as we get older we think we don't want to go through such loss again, but we should. When it happens to us I'll just go to the nearest animal rescue and get a dog who has some years on him/her. Even if it is for just a two or three years they bring such joy to your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.