PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevestikihut

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
Got a problem, perhaps you can help...

I just recently, February, picked up my pipe again and the first thing I tried was Frog Morton on the Bayou, loved it then switched over to McClellan 5110 which is close also smoke some Mississippi River. Tried a aromatic chocolate and everyone suggested Bobs flake, haven't got there yet.

My wife is throwing it down, she says it stinks so bad, it even wakes her up at night. She is pretty tolerant but she has drawn a serious line.

I will leave the pipe before I offend her, I hope to find a alternative.

I know the offending element is Latakia. I don't inhale so any lingering smell is not from the lungs, obviously a shower rids the bulk of it but she complains it's in my breath.

I tried some Old English blends, too harsh, I am not a fruit guy so Cherry Smash is not going to happen, I don't want a nicotine blast either.

Has anyone else had this problem and some kind of fix for it?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Find some nice non Lat blends for around the house and save the Lat for walks, camping, out with buddies etc etc etc. Shower and brush afterwards if you come home smelling of Lat. I don't know if anything else can help, some of the best tobaccos just don't have a good room note. Hope you can work out an arrangement that keeps you both happy. I recently got some Holger Dansk Original Mild Orange and the orange is almost imperceptible taste wise but seems to add nicely to the room note and sweeter smell of Virginias with a bit of Cavendish.

Mar 31, 2014
NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!
I love latakia and I've found some good ways to hide it, when I need to. Wear a long jacket just for smoking and it keep outside. If it's too hot for a jacket, may I suggest smoking in zee nude? Yes, it's best to follow with a shower.
For the mouth: I usually brush my teeth after I smoke. This has long term benefits to the smoke smell, if you do it every time. Add some baking soda to collect more of the smell, if necessary.
Your story is kind of the opposite of mine. I think part of my love of latakia is that it smells similar to my husband's body odor. Weird, I know.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia does have a somewhat cloying room note, and it doesn't improve when it lingers after

the smoking is over. Some blends that have a more measured amount have a better room note,

like Nat Sherman's 536. You might want to rotate with aromatics that have a distinctly good room

note. You might try Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge for that purpose.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Sounds like a problem of displaced anger rather than a latakia problem.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
For the most part my wife doesn't like latakia smell either. But for some reason she loves the smell of Blue Mountain, which is heavy on the latakia. She insists that I blow billowing breaths of smoke into my shirt while I smoke so she can smell if for as long as possible. Pretty floral. Maybe Frog on the Town? There's always 1Q...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Take up cigars for a short time and she may want the pipe smoke back. :mrgreen:
Btw ... welcome to the forum!
As for the breath issue, besides your teeth be sure to brush your tongue really well.

Tongue scrapers are a good addition to the smokers medicine cabinet and work better than a toothbrush.
I'm lucky ... my wife likes the smell of Latakia.

She says it reminds her of desert campfires burning mesquite wood.

I might suggest that if you just love the latakia, then maybe try GLP's Ashbury. It is a Cyprian latakia with some oriental that really gives it a great room note.

But, if that won't do, try some VaBurs, like Three Nuns, or branch out and try some Virginias or VaPers. For a great sweet smokey taste with a more cosmopolitan room note a stoved Virginia is worth a shot, like Dark Star or Virginia #27.

Latakias and aromatics are just the tip of the iceburg, there's a whole bunch of non-aromatics out there.
Or that smoking in the nude idea. Ha ha, me? I'd end up being mistaken for bigfoot, and the next thing I'd know I'd be strapped to someone's fender.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
It sounds like it is your bad breath (from the Latakia) that is causing her to complain? One other thing you can try, in addition to all the above, is mouthwash.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yep. Mine doesn't particularly like it either. Granted, I don't smoke inside, but she's not a fan. I tell her those blends which contain latakia, are blends for me to enjoy not for her to enjoy. Personally, I think it's better than cigarette smoke.
-Jason

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I would just explain to her how big a part of your life pipe smoking is becoming, and a part of that means trying out many, many different tobaccos. If Latakia based blends end up being some of your favorite, don't back down. Obviously don't smoke them all the time just to spite her, but she'll come around boyo, once she knows how happy the ol' pipe is making you.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
All I can say is that most women don't like the smell of Latakia.

My wife doesn't, but she tolerates it.

My buddy's wife actually loves the smell of Latakia, and much prefers it over Va's, Va/Pers, Burley, and even some Aros.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
You should try some Oriental/Balkan blends instead. Dunhill 965, Presbyterian, Balkan Sasieni, or if you want to go on the cheap - try the Stokkebye/Newminster English and Oriental blends.
Alternatively, in the old days, the affluent husband and wife always had separate bedrooms :)

Status
Not open for further replies.