PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Heads Up, yesterday my wife got a call stating that our BECU debit card had been compromised. Since we had been one of those affected by the Target ID thiefts, she figured it was possible.
She was asked to give the card number, which she did. A digital British voice repeated the numbers and then she was asked about the expiration date and pin number. Warning bells rang all over the place and she hung up and called BECU immediately. They instantly placed a freeze on the card (she has to go today and get a new one issued) and then they went over the last 5 withdrawals with her - got busted for the 4noggins order - thankfully she ok'd all of them since they were legit.
Evidently this scam is not only affecting BECU cards, but others as well. My wife was told that people's first reaction is OMG and don't remember that Banks and CUs don't contact by automation. When something like this happens, hang up and call the bank or CU immediately. Lesson learned.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's really an aggressive phone scam. They likely get a lot of people to give their numbers.

Another less adept scam is where the robo call tells you that your credit card is fine but they

want to talk to you about restructuring your debt -- it isn't your card, it's some loan shark outfit.

There's a scoundrel born every minute.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
All banks / card issuers will have all your card information and will never ask for it over the phone. I'm glad you guys caught on before any major damage could be done.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Speaking of telephone scams, I just heard about a new one on the radio and I figured I would add it to this thread. The scam apparently works like this:

You will get a call from a local phone number, but when you answer the caller hangs up. What they are hoping the person will do is call the number back. We've all received the call "yeah someone just called me from this number." Well, when you return this phone call, you are automatically directed to an overseas number, and depending on how long you stay on hold, you will received a bill for $20 or more in long distance charges. Basically, if you don't recognize the number, and they don't leave a message, do not return the call.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I live by Caller ID. I don't answer any calls that I don't recognize, just let them go to the answering machine. 9.9 times out of 10, they're robo calls or auto hang-ups. (And our answering machine includes my cell phone # in the greeting, just in case anyone needs to reach me immediately. So far, none of the scammers and junk callers have taken note and tried to reach me there!)
Bob

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I don't ever answer my landline either. In fact, if our lass didn't need it for being phoned into work, I'd unplug the sod and sling it in the bin. At least your wife caught on, unfortunately these things net a lot of elderlies living alone at home, they're always on the television being out of pocket to the tune of the rest of their pensions.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Scams abound. Never give out information. Call your customer service number on your card to verify.

I use my land line for DSL. I never answer a call on it. Anyone who has a legitimate reason to call me has my other phone number.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Some people pretend to be the IRS, say something's wrong with their return that was filed and ask for social security numbers and such... I've actually had clients who asked me if they should respond to those emails/phone calls or not.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I made a copy of this and passed it on to all my email friends. :puffy:

Thanks for the heads up. :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.