PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hello all,
During Thanksgiving I talked to my cousin about pipe smoking and over the weekend he ended up buying a Ukrainian made pipe at a shop in his city. He called me and asked if anything could be done about the narrow bowl.
The question is this, is it possible to widen the bowl of a pipe if there is enough wood to do so? If so, how will this effect the pipe and how can it be done safely?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I had it done by Norwoods, I had a big Moretti Canadian and had a lot of meat to do it, they did a faboulas job and it did not cost much. I was very satisfied.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I'd go with a pro pipe repair like Norwoods, who could do it right and spot any problems at the outset

in terms of the soundness of the briar (or other material). Also, they'd get the shaping of the bottom of the

bowl right, which is essential. Anyone could enlarge a bowl with a drill and/or a pocket knife, and with a

basket pipe that wasn't necessarily a keeper, it might work. But for a pipe you like, hire a pro.

dvorak

Lurker
Dec 1, 2014
If I recall correctly, a lot of pipes have a protective coating on the inside in order to prevent the wood from burning. You might want to take that into account if you do-it-yourself.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
A spoon bit on a lathe will do the job profesionally.
Of course, you can skillfully use a VERY SHARP adjustable reamer and some fine sandpaper on wooden dowel sticks but it might come out choppy and out-of-round if you've never attempted this sort of thing before.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I have done this before exactly as rcstan stated. A spoon bit on a lathe will take care of it with no issues. The key is to go slow and pay attention. The first one I ever did was a little nerve racking but now, given the right pipe, I would have no hesitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.