PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I have a problem where I smoke....constantly. Not many pipes in my collection and have never really...rested them much. Over the years, have had absolutely no issues, all of a sudden the other day I picked up each of my pipes and there are four that soured, each with a different tobacco smoked out of them. I keep them cleaned out regularly, so didn't see this coming. My main pipe is probably the worst, I know some may frown on it but I smoke Admirals Choice Vanilla Cavendish out of it several bowls a day. This was picked up from my 84 year old neighbor who smoked it bowl after bowl. I could understand the abuse I give that pipe ending up sour....but four at once? Even the meerschaum had a funk about it. Getting ready to do a bit more cleaning on all of them but a little frustrated with this and assuming I'll have to salt treat it if a good reaming and a long rest wont do. Is there any advice on preventing this in the future? Can anyone explain a cause? Now that I've started smoking again, it's thrown a stick in my spokes.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The only advice I can give is pay particular attention to cleaning the airway in both the shank and stem, bristle cleaners and iso, also the mortise itself where tars can build up. I usually use paper towel twisted and dipped in iso plus q-tips.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Can you pick up a brand new cob? if it still tastes sour, then t could be a change in mouth chemistry rather than a dirty ol' pipes issue....
Isaac

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I keep them clean,and have always payed particular attention to the mortise/stem because I tend to hold my pipe in my mouth. Was wondering if it could have to do with them being in the garage/change in weather. I'm certainly picking up more cobs, more cleaning supplies, and am going to remove all cake. The "mouth chemisty" makes the most sense. They are getting better, have stopped smoking, am trying to let them air out as well.
Thanks for the responses!

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
You have to let them dry (rest).If they aren't dry they will stink no matter how well you clean them.I put mine in the sun after having smoked them the previous night and few hours later i can not even tell what i last smoked in them.Salt treatment will probably cure it,but you still have to keep them dry IMHO.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I could understand the abuse I give that pipe ending up sour....but four at once?
Probably a shift in humidity. Fill each one with some whiskey and give it a break for awhile. It should clear out most of that scent, and give you a new lease on life. Also helps to swab the stem with a pipe cleaner soaked in whatever spirits you find most comforting.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Yeah....I think Wild Turkey 101 made it worse. Waiting on some cleaner to get here, going to try that before resulting to salt and everclear.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Just dawned on me something that needs to be invented if it's not already....and if it would work. If anyone out there knows what an Ionizer is....make one that can be contained to handle pipes. They work great for vehicles...though you can't be in them or it'll kill you.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Also, anyone ever try a desiccant to remove the moisture/maybe remove smells? like....the little silica packets or the cylinders you find in pill bottles?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In a packet you could try it but I've never had the need to dry pipes other than wiping out the chamber and giving it a few hours, usually a lot longer.
You may be smoking some baccy that is too moist going in. Dry some down a bunch and try it when you resume.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Pipe cleaners/paper towel after each smoke, and a bit of dry time is all my pipes have ever needed. I have few pipes but enough so they can all get a weeks rest before the next smoke, some here will say that's overkill on the resting time but you probably wont find anyone saying its a bad idea...
Isaac

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Just found out about http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/ozone.html has anyone tried this if I fail to remove the smell? It seems like an Ionizer and if that's so, it's essentially a guarantee

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'd try the salt first. Just filling the bowl with dry salt and letting it sit for a couple days may do the trick. I'm with the guys who suspect a shift in humidity might be your culprit. If you were having this problem with all of your pipes, I would suspect the pH thing. But four go rank and the rest are okay? Doesn't add up for pH problems.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Only ones that didn't were the corncobs and some weird...painted thing that is just...for looks and dunno what to do with. My pipe collection is very limited and found out the 5th soured as well. I ordered cleaning supplies and will update on how that goes probably this weekend. - Still have to get my hands on Everclear and Salt, but that will have to be later if this doesn't work.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Something similar happened to me and I asked for advice here. I was told to try a retort. It worked amazing and I have used it on a few other pipes as well. Cheap and easy to use. I will see if I can find the thread and link it here.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-couple-of-real-stinkers
I thought they still smoked OK but the ashy/cig smell drove me nuts. After the retort treatment they smoked much better. I guess that shows what you can get used too over time. :)

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I read a little about them, and it looks like a process, but a cheap and effective one. My curiosity is, did you use just 99 isopropyl alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.