Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Why You Should Be Happy That You Don't Live In Japan.

(61 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've lived here since 1972 and have never once seen a Japanese smoking a pipe.
    Here is probably why:

I know of only one pipe shop in Tokyo and although it carries a nice selection
    of pipes it doesn't carry a single tobacco.

The one place I know of in Tokyo that does carry pipe tobacco is the Smokeshop
    in the Imperial Hotel and it carries a grand total of TWO.

Given this dismal situation one must have recourse to ordering from overseas,
    preferably from the US because that is where the biggest selection is found,
    but this is where your problem begins because most US companies won't ship
    overseas and the shipping charges at those that do can be exorbitant. Here are
    typical charges for shipping a 2oz tin of tobacco to Japan:

$56.30 USPS:Priority Mail Express International
    $46.62 USPS:Priority Mail International
    $12.83 USPS:First-Class Mail International Parcel
    $2.92 Super Saver International

Those companies that do ship overseas will invariably charge the highest rate.
    Fortunately there is one company, the only company I have ever seen that does
    this -- Smokingpipes.com -- that actually offers the customer a choice of all
    four shipping rates and it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the one I tend
    to choose.

OK, so you've paid for your tobacco and shipping but what happens when it arrives
    in Japan? What about Japanese Customs? Well, when it's a question of tobacco their
    eyes must light up because when they spot it (as they almost always do) you will
    be hit with various duties and taxes and charges that run to 100% or more than the
    original cost of the tobacco.

So now, as a pipe smoker, you know why you should be happy that you don't live in
    Japan.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Japan is where they auction off a prize tuna for what would be hundreds of thousands of USD. No wonder they have an aging population. No one can afford kids.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

Have you tried using Google? There are several pipe and pipe tobacco retailers in Tokyo.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

2.92 international shipping??

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know many Japanese pipe smokers. None have ever mentioned trouble getting tobacco. This is intriguing news. I guess regional differences must be at play in regard to customs or something.

Neal
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surely there is more to do in Japan than smoking a pipe!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Prices tend to be very high over here. It's generally cheaper to order from
    overseas. The shipping charges I quoted are those listed at smokingpipes.com
    There is no trouble getting tobacco -- if you order it from the States.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Surely there is more to do in Japan than smoking a pipe!

Of course there is, but I thought this was a forum for pipe smokers and
    it is PIPE SMOKERS I was clearly addressing.

OK. Why As A Pipe Smoker You Should Be Happy That You Don't Live In Japan.

Happy now?

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Best wishes. I'm glad I don't live there. I wouldn't want to have to figure out what else I could be doing.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

oh well. Each country is getting tougher for sure.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thank you.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course it is. And, this smoker isn't sympathetic to your plight. But, your statement, "So now, as a pipe smoker, you know why you should be happy that you don't live in Japan" just strikes me wrong. I'm sure I could be happy living in Japan or, any place else I might select. I wouldn't live anywhere I couldn't be happy. The pipe is not my reason for living ... much as I enjoy it.

I do appreciate your warning though I suppose.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dang Tuff. I’m not your enemy. Please slow down and read the posts before jumping on a reply. I simply said I hadn’t heard similar comments and there must be regional differences in regard to customs. In no way was my post a personal jab at you. We are not out to snipe you brother.

Not quite sure what you're on about here. I do read posts carefully. It's not you
    but others who seem not to. There's a lot of negativity around here. Have you noticed
    any thanks for my having taken the trouble to provide detailed and accurate information?

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

$2.92 is less than what they charge for domestic shipping! I've seen pipe tobacco at several places in Tokyo, I believe the cigar store on the lobby level of the Conrad in Shimbashi sells various tins as well as the nice cigar store in Ginza (can't recall the name, having a senior moment).

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

$2.92 is less than what they charge for domestic shipping! I've seen pipe tobacco at several places in Tokyo, I believe the cigar store on the lobby level of the Conrad in Shimbashi sells various tins as well as the nice cigar store in Ginza (can't recall the name, having a senior moment).

Yes, it's amazingly cheap, but if you don't believe me you can check it out for yourself.
    As to other sources for pipe tobacco, I'm sure there must be but it's much cheaper and
    easier to shop on the internet.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

I was not implying that you are lying but rather amazed that it is so inexpensive.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was not implying that you are lying but rather amazed that it is so inexpensive.

I know you weren't. I wonder why, even when writing perfectly clear English,
    it's so difficult to make one's intention understood? More and better smileys might help.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought you were going to bring up fukishima. Do they even talk about the effects of that mess over there anymore?

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

CONCLUSIONS:

1. America is a shopper's paradise.

2. If you are a pipe smoker and visiting Japan it might be advisable
    to bring some of your favorite tobaccos with you.

Now let's see if anyone can carp about that.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are a pipe smoker and visiting Japan it might be advisable
    to bring some of your favorite tobaccos with you.

Now that I understand, appreciate and even find helpful. Thanks!

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You're welcome.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Except for travel to The States, it's always advisable to take your own tobacco to wherever you may roam abroad.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  23. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

Living in South Korea here.

Tins run anywhere from $16USD to $32USD for 50g. Depends on the blend. The B&M I frequent in Seoul has Dunhill left and pretty much any SG you want, at a premium price-- (Dunhill Flake 50g is running about $24USD and a 250g box of SG is about $70.) Also he has Rattrays 100g tins in stock for about $30USD.

I buy from overseas. I can import up to 250g or just under 9oz, so that makes it nice for me. Supersaver international shipping is about $10USD for me at 8oz. Takes about 2 weeks but it's worth it. I save more buying overseas plus shipping than buying 2 tins from the B&M.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some pointers from mrmotoyoshi here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tokyo-area-tobacconists

I would be surprised if Davidoff in Ginza has nothing.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The last time I was in Ginza there was no Davidoff but yes,
    they ought to have more than the two stocked by the Imperial
    Hotel which, if I remember correctly, are both Davidoff.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Yup; as tufftony says smoking pipes.com do offer really cheap international shipping - to Aus in my case; which makes it worth buying a single tin at a time.

Why a single tin?; 'cos if our customs people (or Border Protection Force as they are now styled) do intercept it the duty is aprox. 1000 AUD [710 USD] per Kg of tobacco (plus 10% GST on top of that - GST is bit like European VAT but essentially a sales tax in this instance). So when larger orders get spotted the import duty can be eye watering.

Buying domestically in Aus isn't much fun either; prices are high (round 90 AUD - approx. 65 USD - for 50g tin) plus only a very limited selection available and no (as far as I know) B&M stores in Sydney so I have to order from the 'net from out of state anyway! (It is possible to get a few OTC blends at convenience stores but they are IMHO pretty awful and none of the common US OTC blends are available.)

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I lived in a land surrounded by all those attractive women I don't think I would have time to smoke although I would happily show them my pipe!

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a Japanese guy stop me on the street during a mid-afternoon smoke/walk. He asked me where I got my tobacco and I pointed up the street and directed him to Peretti’s. He asked if they had Captain Black Gold. I thought to myself ‘why on Earth would you go to Peretti’s for CB instead of a house blend?’ Makes a little more sense after reading the OP.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I recall that Davidoff in Ginza was where I would go for pipe Tobacco, started on Momoyama there! There was a good selection of Dunhill tobacco also, about 1,200 yen from memory.

Maybe things have changed a bit recently with Davidoff in Ginza but I had a few places around Tokyo/Yokohama where I could get pipes and pipe tobacco.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I used to study and then work in Seoul - South Korea for almost 4 years. I wasn't a pipe but cigar smoker back then and don't recall seeing any pipe smokers around either. There were some nice cigar shops in Seoul, however I was mostly buying my cigars from duty free shops while travelling.

No wonder they have an aging population. No one can afford kids.

MSO got it right. I was visiting my parents after a full year of studying and amazed to see kids running around and playing. In Azerbaijan kids are everywhere; on the table, under the table, behind you, on top of your head, etc. You can't see that in Seoul, they were either at school or language course.

Living in South Korea here.

안녕하세요 Troy. You live in Seoul I guess.

Javan
    Posted 3 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yup; as tufftony says smoking pipes.com do offer really cheap international shipping - to Aus in my case; which makes it worth buying a single tin at a time.

Why a single tin?; 'cos if our customs people (or Border Protection Force as they are now styled) do intercept it the duty is aprox. 1000 AUD [710 USD] per Kg of tobacco (plus 10% GST on top of that - GST is bit like European VAT but essentially a sales tax in this instance). So when larger orders get spotted the import duty can be eye watering.

Man, that's criminal. Here I restrict my buys to just 8oz at a time and get hit with charges of Yen 3200 or close to US$29.00. Apparently if I received more than 8oz the rate would be much higher.

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. dukdalf

dukdalf

Login to Send PM

I believe the Pipe Club of Japan is still active, with a chapter in Tokyo. While they are more into CIPC-style slow smoking contests, they may have some tips for you? At the very least you'd be able to meet your first Japanese pipesmoker since 1972...

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I’ll add that hotel to my list of places I can buy pipe tobacco in Tokyo. Brings it up to close to a dozen, and I’m just there once a year or so. Imagine how many I’d find if I’d lived there continuously for over 40 years.

Posted 3 months ago #
  34. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, sorry to hear that. If I lived over there I doubt I would have ever started smoking a pipe in the first place. Did you start smoking a pipe before you moved to Japan or did you pick up the hobby there? If you picked up the hobby in Japan, why? Doesn’t sound worth the cost to start up a new hobby at those prices but that’s just me, I’m cheap. One of the things I like about this hobby is it’s relatively cheap compared to cigars, cigarettes and dip. If I was really doing it just for the nicotine I could get by with a few cobs and a strong blend for under $100 a year. But, I’m not in it just for the nic, I chase those amazing subtle flavors that one can only get from the pipe, I also enjoy variety, it’s exciting trying new things from time to time, I don’t even know how many blends I have in my cellar that I’ve never tried before but it’s a lot. Anyway, my suggestion? Move.

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

smokingpipes.com makes all they can in order to keep shipping costs at a reasonable level,in fact, They do charge in accordance with the current mailing tariffs, and most likely this Ups S Saver is rather special shipping method based on agreement on behalf with the UPS and SPC,Yet I must assume if the Smokingpipes wasn't this big operator they probably couldn't afford offering it, moreover shipping times do vary with this untrackable Super Saver option and can be anything from a two week up to a three months,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 months ago #
  36. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Anybody else receive a vitriolic pm from our new charmer?

Posted 3 months ago #
  37. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I’m the outlier here. When I lived in the Orient I had lots of pipe smoking friends, and a ton of tobacco availability. Granted, I got most of my stuff from various embassies, but damn, 1972 is 47 years ago - must not have gotten out much.

Posted 3 months ago #
  38. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but damn, 1972 is 47 years ago

yeah a lot has changed in the tobacco world since then.

Posted 3 months ago #
  39. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Maybe a typo on the original post?

Posted 3 months ago #
  40. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Anybody else receive a vitriolic pm from our new charmer?

Can you please PM me about it?

Posted 3 months ago #
  41. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to drag this one back up, but I’m still trying to figure how you don’t see a pipe smoker in 45+ years.
    Tuff Tony, Captain Terrible, or whatever your current name is, are you still here?

Posted 3 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I pay Canadian tax on tobacco it’s 5-10x the retail cost (depending on how inexpensive the tobacco is).
    Last time I ordered a pipe from the U.S. it got taxed as Tobacco.
    As far as I’m concerned the U.S.-Canada border is now closed to tobacco products of any kind.

Japan sounds like a very nice place to be a pipe smoker.

Posted 3 months ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sorry to drag this one back up, but I’m still trying to figure how you don’t see a pipe smoker in 45+ years.
    Tuff Tony, Captain Terrible, or whatever your current name is, are you still here?

Sure I'm still here. How could I drag myself away from such a friendly
    place?

But yes, it's true. Perhaps we move in different circles but in all the
    years I've been here I've never seen a single person smoking a pipe. And
    the only place I know that has pipe tobacco is the Imperial Hotel though
    you seem to have discovered more. Of course, I stopped smoking shortly
    after getting here and so haven't been particularly interested. And after
    taking up the pipe again it's a lot easier to go on the internet to order
    tobacco than spend an hour driving into Tokyo, finding somewhere to park,
    locating a shop that would invariably have a very small selection at double
    the price, and then spend another hour driving home. Smokingpipes.com is
    a terrific source with a selection of over 1000 tobaccos, all at cut price,
    and with amazingly cheap shipping that takes just around 3 weeks to get
    here. I don't mind the wait as long as I have some tobacco to be going
    on with.

Cheers.

Posted 3 months ago #
  44. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

Be patient with Tuff Tony. He has just claimed in another thread to be the oldest member of the forum. Maybe we should cut him some slack.

Posted 3 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

When I pay Canadian tax on tobacco it’s 5-10x the retail cost (depending on how inexpensive the tobacco is).
    Last time I ordered a pipe from the U.S. it got taxed as Tobacco.
    As far as I’m concerned the U.S.-Canada border is now closed to tobacco products of any kind.

Japan sounds like a very nice place to be a pipe smoker.

Given the nightmare that Canada seems to be I take it all back.
    I'd no idea it was so bad over there so, yes, I guess I'm lucky
    to be here. Tax runs around 100% but they don't always spot
    parcels and shipping at smokingpipes.com is incredibly cheap.
    I commiserate with you.

Posted 3 months ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Be patient with Tuff Tony. He has just claimed in another thread to be the oldest member of the forum.

No, I said I wondered if I was the oldest member. Frankly I suspect there
    are older farts than me around here but no-one has yet admitted to being
    older.

Posted 3 months ago #
  47. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen a pipe smoker in public for many years in Alaska. I think the anomaly is to see, public (not in a pipe or tobacco store), a pipe smoker. I've never seen a pipe smoker in Russia. I know they are there as I've purchased pipes and tobacco there. I simply don't think it strange not to see such. Hell, I've not seen a pipe smoker in Chicago. Excepting IRC's store. I don't even see a person sucking on a cold pipe in public any more.

In tufftony's defense, unless one hangs with other smokers, belongs to a pipe club or some such, a smoker in public society is probably a rarity to most people these days. Well, there is "tobacco country" (Cosmic Country?). If I'm out and about where there are people, I rarely see even a cigarette smoker on the street. I see them in their car but, not strolling the sidewalk. I honestly can't recall seeing another pipe smoker, except in a cold drizzly smoking area outside a pub in Ireland or England, out on the street in many years. Many of the members here only smoke at home so we wouldn't recognize them except by the reek of stale tobacco.

Posted 3 months ago #
  48. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use to manage the shipping department for a wine club in California years ago. Japanese business men would come in and drop $5K+ and have it shipped to Japan. We used a Japanese shipping company who would come and pick up these random orders. I believe it was Nippon? Had a cat carrying a kitten on the truck and label. Anyway, we always listed that the wine was intended as a gift to avoid paying duties. Maybe you can try requesting you next order be designated as a gift and see if that works?

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  49. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

Well I live in the city of Blatter & Blatter Pipes and I can't recall the last time I saw a pipe smoker in public. I guess if I camped outside their door I'd see the occasional one.
    For many pipe smoking also seems to be a more personal habit. I do most of my smoking at home, at our log cabin, or at another pipers home. I don't like to be distracted from the enjoyment of my pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  50. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

I actually saw my first pipe smoker (excluding me in a mirror of course) of 2019 just outside my apartment on Monday of this week. Funnily enough he was smoking on the same park bench that I tend to use; I popped out to say g'day but he had left by the time I got there. No idea if he is another local pipe smoker (I think there is one other around here somewhere - not seen since November) or just a visitor (the park is on a headland in the harbour so a popular spot for visitors).

Earlier this week I also had the rather unexpected experience of an American lady walking her dog coming up to me and telling me how nice my pipe looked as I was lunting.

Posted 3 months ago #
  51. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What blend were you smoking, Timelord?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

quint2

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 months ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen a pipe smoker in public for many years in Alaska. I think the anomaly is to see, public (not in a pipe or tobacco store), a pipe smoker. I've never seen a pipe smoker in Russia. I know they are there as I've purchased pipes and tobacco there. I simply don't think it strange not to see such. Hell, I've not seen a pipe smoker in Chicago. Excepting IRC's store. I don't even see a person sucking on a cold pipe in public any more.

In tufftony's defense, unless one hangs with other smokers, belongs to a pipe club or some such, a smoker in public society is probably a rarity to most people these days....

Thank you. Well, what I put it down to here is that Tokyo is such a hectic crowded
    place that if you went around smoking a pipe here, especially during rush hour, it
    would probably end up lodged down your throat.

Posted 3 months ago #
  54. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Yes, but you have great sushi!

Posted 3 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I use to manage the shipping department for a wine club in California years ago. Japanese business men would come in and drop $5K+ and have it shipped to Japan. We used a Japanese shipping company who would come and pick up these random orders. I believe it was Nippon? Had a cat carrying a kitten on the truck and label. Anyway, we always listed that the wine was intended as a gift to avoid paying duties. Maybe you can try requesting you next order be designated as a gift and see if that works?

I know the shipping company you are referring to but smokingpipes.com (the company
    I order from) don't use it and the company they do use doesn't make any provision
    for listing orders as gifts. And other companies usually won't allow you to list
    stuff as gifts.

Posted 3 months ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yes, but you have great sushi!

True, there's lots of great stuff here. The point of my thread wasn't
    to bash Japan. It was to remind US smokers how lucky they are to have
    no tax, free shipping (on large orders), and such a fantastically wide
    choice.

Posted 3 months ago #
  57. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was to remind US smokers how lucky they are to have
    choice.
    No tax for now.We shall see for how long...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  58. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

@Olkofri

It was Balkan Sasieni (the current STG incarnation) in a Peterson Aran Rusticated 69.

But I rather think it was the combination of the pipe with a full (grey) beard and a black Aussie outback hat (an Akubra Snowy River should anyone be interested) that caught her attention rather than the tobacco I was smoking (I know; I should have been smoking Black Frigate but I occasionally don't).

Posted 3 months ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It was to remind US smokers how lucky they are to have
    choice.

Another point to note is that, although a selection of US pipe tobaccos
    are available in Japan (Member quint2 provided these two sources: see http://www.tabako.co.jp/paipu_all/sa.html and
    https://www.kagaya-smokeweb.com/e-commex/cgi-bin/ex_disp_category/id/pipetob/jump/on/next/1/# ),
    prices seem to run at about 2.5 times the US price.

Posted 3 months ago #
  60. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Canadian members on here have said for a while now lucky US pipe smokers have it, with the selection, shipping, and price being so good. Occasionally I am surprised that there are places in the world where pipe tobacco costs more than Canada though.

Posted 3 months ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I guess the title of this thread should really have been Why You Should Be Happy
    That You Don't Live In Canada.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper