Why Wouldn't Anyone Pay $11.70 For This Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sometimes I just cruise the estate pipes in ebay. I'm not looking for anything in particular, just entertaining myself, and sometimes learning something.
Well I came across this pipe, stated to be a IRC Amalfi from Italy. The pics weren't all that great, but it looked like it might have some decent grain. After a few minutes, I realized that it was an Iwan Ries Co. pipe, and although it wasn't stamped Savinelli, it had the Savinelli shield with the S in it. After looking at it some more, I thought the pipe did indeed have some nice grain, and looked to be in good condition. The auction had about 7 hours to go, and the pipe had no bids on it starting at $8.99, with a buy it now price of $11.70! Why was no one bidding on it, or why hadn't it sold for the $11.70 already? I mean people are usually falling all over themselves trying to get a cheap Savinelli. I had just looked at one of the unfinished Savinelli estate pipes that already had bids going over $15.00 for it. Not that there is anything wrong with the unfinished pipes, but here was a really nicely grained hardly used pipe, that although it didn't have the Savinelli name stamp, it was clearly made by them. All for only $11.70! and the shipping was only $2.50 too! So I went ahead and used the buy it now option. I do believe that sometimes folks let a pipes name, or lack of one, get in the way of getting a very nice pipe.
When I got the pipe I was pleased to see the grain was better than I figured, and had been lightly smoked, with no stem chatter. A salt/alcohol treatment, a little internal scrubbing and cleaning, and some polishing and waxing and it looked almost like new! Ok, now the down side, well, not to me so much, but some of you would be put off by this, it had a lakeland ghost. For me, it just meant I now have a 3rd pipe to use for lakeland tobaccos. Yeah, it was still there a little even after the salt/alcohol treatment, but hey, no bother to me, and it's not like this was a fact known to the potential bidders on this pipe.
Anyway, I'm happy, loaded it with some Glengarry Flake and it smokes great, looks great, and I wasn't even looking to buy a pipe, PAD just happens sometimes... :puffy:
img_0269-600x399.jpg

img_0272-600x399.jpg

img_0276-600x416.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Digging deep into ebay is one of my favorite ways to pass some time and it sometimes pays off wonderfully as did your experiance. Why some pieces of junk get bid into the stratosphere while jewels like that are ignored is just one of those mysteries. Ebay is like a giant slot machine. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose! An $11.70 bet is a sure win.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great find, lovely pipe! Being a Savinelli, I'm sure it is an excellent smoker.
Dave

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Damn, @orley! If I had been looking I surely would've bought that.
I've mentioned my gourd calabash before, but that has been my sweetest eBay score for $40. I see them go all the time for $80+ ... so I feel very fortunate to have gotten mine for half the price.
Sweet score @orley, I love my Savs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great catch. Even for a Sav, it has an especially graceful and well turned shape. The seller gave

it away.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Wow, nice score, i'd have definitely done the same and pulled the trigger. Like i've said many times before, there are ebay deals out there to be had if you are patient and persistent. Congrats!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very nice! I have the 811 KS and it's a great smoker.

Found mine for $20 at an antique shop here in town. (top one)
p1010007-600x505.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.