PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well some time ago I got me this Old refurbished Estate Stanwell Regd nro mod 29 Handmade

stanwell-handmade-29-selected-briar-regdno2-600x600.jpg

there's no visible chamber burnout marks whatsoever, even I did apply precoating to prevent the chamber from overheating, outside:no fills, nothing, dense wood with nice grain,and despite all aforementioned this pipe tend to get considerably warm regardless of what cut of tobacco I'm smoking in it, though must notice,walls and heel of this very pipe are quite thin,yet its a lightweight to its size. Any Idea of how to proceed further with this pipe?Otherwise, It smokes fine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the light weight and the relatively thin walls of the chamber make it prone to heat up. I have a nifty little Chacom yacht that does the same but is a good smoker. I handle it by the shank when necessary and just enjoy it otherwise. I don't think there's anything wrong with your pipe, or mine. It's just a function of its design.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Build a good cake!!! I love cake in my pipes. I hate how hot new pipes get, because I'm a relatively fast smoker. I'm not happy till there's a good cake in it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The walls are thin, there's not much briar to absorb or insulate the heat. Some pipes also smoke hotter than others. As was suggested, perhaps it makes sense to build up a thicker wall of cake to provide more insulation. Unless it smokes really nice, perhaps it makes sense to throw it in the trash can. It's a decent enough looking pipe, I'd probably give it a reasonable try at building up some cake. I wouldn't smoke Va forward blends in it as they tend to burn hotter. If all that fails, then give it to a friend to try or pitch it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I once owned a Rad Davis Belge that had thin walls. Because they were so thin, I had to change my cadence and really had to pay attention to my smoking or it would get hot. I sold the pipe because I don't change my cadence for any pipe, even a Rad. I had a nice hard cake from Va flakes in the pipe but it didn't matter. Some pipes have walls that are just too thin.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few thin walled pipes that I smoke from time to time. I used them as a way to improve my smoking technique. I can enjoy a nice leisurely bowl without heating up any of them. A thicker wall may mask a superheated chamber, but that doesn't mean that the pipe isn't getting damaged.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks Gents for Your input,much appreciated,and yes,truly now when I'm smoking gravity filled bowl of Prince Albert in this very pipe,I'm noticing it won't heat up that much.Interestingly all my Danish made Stanwells and some British made estates as as well do have thinner walls than those of current era production pipes,yet,as a rule the older the pipe the lighter the weight,Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.