deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hgxgw8g.jpg

They ran out of Royal Yacht...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I actually have a first edition written a few year after the expedition- quite an ordeal!

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
An amazing story I read as a teenager. It was one of the many adventure stories that fueled my own passion for adventure.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Shackleton was amazing. Check out his help wanted ad for the expedition:
img_1787-600x347.jpg

And once the expedition got back to England, most of then immediately volunteered to serve in the trenches. They don't make then like that anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone for Mars? Live the next fifty years in an enclosure the size of a trailer and grow your own oxygen. However, the view out the windows, which will probably be rather small, will be spectacular, as long as you last. And you thought you knew how annoying other people could be.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Not Royal Yacht. But it did make me laugh! There are only two continents I have not been to South America and Antarctica. But I did do four years in Alaka with the 1/501 PIR. I know what cold, lonely, and far from help feels like! As such I can understand how rough the expedition had it and, by the Gods, how tough those men were. Cold is the worst possible enemy, it never gives up, never gets tired, and is relentless just beating you down. It is so very patient just waiting for you to make a mistake. Not to mention the extra calories required just to stay warm. I seriously admire those tough bastards!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Soap lmao!! No when fuel is at a minimum you cannot waste it on warming ice cold water up. And using freezing water to bathe works in temperate zones, but getting wet at -70 F is just a great way to be dead. Heck in Bosnia with the greatest military in the world, US Army, we did not see a shower for over a month and clean uniforms hahaha. So imagine being in that time period. No deorderant either back then. Tough old birds they were!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's crazy what Hurley had to do to get those pictures including dumping surplus food.
Using flares for light like in this picture
shackleton-9.jpg

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
It's a well known fact in English polar exploration circles that the Norwegians cheated by using skis.

Status
Not open for further replies.