Why The Pipe? The Age Old Question For All Pipesmokers (Long Winded)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
The other night while I was sitting and cleaning a pipe my daughter, who is 18 now, came in and watched for a little while and finaly asked me "Why do you love the Pipe so much"? I thought about it for a moment and although I am not one that can put my thoughts into words easy or elegantly I did the best I could and this is the answer I gave her.

" It is hard to explain but I know you and your brother probably think I am crazy because I have so many and have collected pipes since before you were born and I continue to collect and smoke a pipe to this day, but for me pipes are more than just an object to put tobacco in or to fiddle with to pass the time. I love every aspect of the pipe. I love the beauty and art of the pipe. The different shapes, sizes, finishes, blast,stems, old designs, modern designs, it really doesn't matter, oh I have my favorites but overall they are all special in there own ways. I love the history of the pipe in itself. When you look at old photographs as far back as you can find you will see at least one lady or gentlemen with a pipe, sometimes more.

I love the mist-eek of the pipe , the fact that it is a symbol of the distquished lady or gentleman and yet the symbol of the coutriest of country boys, from Kings and Queens of England to the likes of my very family, Hillbillies from Southern Missouri."

This exclusive club I belong to is HUGE and yet very small in the grand sceme of things. I love the complextity of the pipe. Anyone can pick up a pipe and light it and make it burn but it takes skill and finesse to actually be able to "smoke" a pipe, to keep it lit, to actually taste and enjoy the aroma of the tobacco, to being able to smoke it, savor it for long periods of time and not throw it down in disgust with an aweful tongue bite."

I love the way a pipe smells and can bring back memories of days gone by , memories of loved ones who enjoyed the pipe and always pop into your head when you smell a certain blend or aroma. I love the looks and comments you receive when smoking a pipe, some in disdain and disgust at the very nerve of you smoking that nasty evil enemy "tobacco", but mostly how from the young and old alike," My Dad, Granddad, Uncle, Aunt, brother someone special to them smoked a pipe and Oh it smelled so good , thank you for the Memory".

I love the fact that pipe smokers know no prejudice, white, black, brown, yellow, red, green, old , young, male, female, it doesn't matter for there are pipes for everyone and every budget, from the cheapest Cob to the most expensive briar or Meer! There is a pipe for everyone that wants to partake in this age old ritual".

Then there is the history of the brands and makers themselves that call to me, the Old makers and the new alike. The history of a Brands such as Kaywoodie, Yello-Boles, Grabows,Bertrams, Arlingtons that at one time dominated the pipe world and then fell to the lowly status of "Drug Store pipe". The history of the brands who have been there, are here and will be here no matter what. Dunhills, Barlings,Charatans,Comoys,GBD,Peterson's,Castellos, Savinelli. The artisans themselves,whose list is to long to list here or discuss in such a short time."

The different countries that offer these works of art ,France, Italy, England, Denmark and the United States and countless others. All have had their " King of the briar" at one time or another and still offer a rich history to the world of pipe making."

Then finally the fact that unlike a cigar or cigerette , when you pick your favorite pipe to smoke your favorite blend , you can sit and relax and as you enjoy the tobacco , you can relish in the beauty and work of art you hold in your hand or clench in your jaw. The lines, the shapes, the grain, the sandblast, the nicks , the bruises, the history of that pipe and what it means to you and only you brings out the richness of the tobacco even better. Simple to say I love the Pipe and all that it intales".
She probably was not expecting such a long and drawn out answer but that is what she got. She smiled and in her quite soft voice said " I understand now". I have collected many things in her short life, Guns, Cars, motorcycles, boats, guitars but all have come and gone except the pipe. It has been my mainstain, my rock, my fall back on when things where good or bad. It has always been there, will always be here ! It has never let me down nor will it because no matter what! Every time I smoke it I sit with Kings, Queens, sailors, soldiers, statesmen, rich people, poor people , Grandfathers, Fathers, sons, daughters and everyone in between and although I usually sit alone I know I am in great company!! Happy Smoking to all and to all Happy smoking!!! :puffpipe:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Gary--that's absolutely beautiful-thank you so much. I hope the mods will take it and make a sticky out of it, because every pipe smoker needs to read it. And it should be printed and distributed at pipe shows and all those places where pipe smoking is discussed--whether for good or ill. I wish I had written it--but don't worry, some day I will claim that I did. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That would be a good reading at pipe clubs. People aren't always patient with things read to the group, but I bet they'd like that one.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A great explanation Gary! Well thought out!
Strangely, I've yet to have one of my children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren ask this of me. I guess they just figure it's something that I do, and it is of no great concern to them. I have offered explanations at times, more it seems to put their minds at ease about the fact that I use tobacco, but also to educate them about pipe smoking in general, its history, and how it's different from cigars and cigarettes, and less likely to be much of a health hazard. My adult children and grandchildren have never scolded me or warned me about the evils of tobacco though, so maybe they're wise enough to think it through for themselves, rather than buy into the anti-tobacco hysteria. So I guess, no complaints here. :puffy:

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
very nice, BRAVO. Probably very hard for a non pipesmoker to get a lot of this.... Been piping for 48 years, and the pipe has always been there. A good friend....

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
@ snagstangl- I know very little about Arlingon Pipes but here is what I do know. They were formed around 1919 in Brooklyn, New York as Arlington Pipes. They produced a pretty decent grade of pipes up until the late 30's,early 40's when they were taken over by a gentlemen named Rosenberger and they changed the name to Arlington Briar pipes Corp. At this time they stopped making pipes with the Arlington name and they became a sub-contractor for other brands making pipes up till around the early 70's when they went out of business completely. I have three Arlington pipes , two Pokers and one bulldog that are all good smokers. :puffpipe:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I'm so gonna memorise that. So far, my generic response is "I smoke pipes now, pipes are cool". Your response leaves mine in the dust.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Very well said! There goes my idea of writing a book on the Mystique of the Pipe. I never enjoyed cigarettes the way I do a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.