PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I was 16 when I got my first Dr. Grabow and a bag of Captain Black at my local drug store. As to why, that would take too long, but I'm sure it has to do with what I perceived to be a symbol of wisdom and manhood.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
As a kid, whenever I saw tobacco pipes, and/or smelled pipe smoke, I was drawn to it for some reason. I guess it just smelled good. Most of the people I saw smoking a tobacco pipe, had a smile on their face. A while ago, I was in a mall, walked in front of a tobacco shop, it smelled good, so I ended up buying some tobacco and a pipe. Gave up early due to lack of knowledge such as packing, tamping, bite, burn, etc, but when I started up again I stumbled across this site, so now I think I'll be smoking for a while. There is a wealth of information here.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I always liked the smell of pipe tobacco and I always admired the artistry involved in Meerschaum pipes. Each one is unique. I only bought a briar so I would know how to smoke my meerschaum when I finally got one. Then I found that I liked briar, PAD set in and I was screwed!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Two reasons:
IOGHl.jpg

1odVo.jpg

Pipe tobacco is just much, much better.

apuy

Lurker
Sep 5, 2012
Hello Friends ... i want to buy Peterson pipe at a price between 50 to 60 USD . Do you have information about the shop who can shipping to Indonesia and suggestion what kinds or type of the pipe ...

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Grandfather and Father. Used to go into my Fathers pipe cabinet and loved the smell. I used to watch him as a kid fish and smoke his pipe and it was just amazing how relaxed he seemed. ( even when the fish weren't a biting ). I think he smoked Briggs and he had a bunch of mediocre pipes, save one Dunhill.Now, my grandkids are horrified as to my pipe smoking. There is also just something about the pipe itself that has always intrigued me. So solid and longlasting in this sketchy world. :puffy: Hey welcome to our Indonesian friend who just posted.....

apuy

Lurker
Sep 5, 2012
Thank you ...... i start pipe smoking 4 months ago the first tobacco is captain black and others aromatic tobaccos like erinmore , 7 seas and the first non aromatic tobacco is Dunhill mixture . I feel the different sensation between aromatic & non aromatic tobacco ...now my tobacco are 7 seas royal blend , Mac Baren HHVS and The Bankers .......in my pipe smokers community we have the slogan " Healthy Longevity " ..... Happy smoking

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Boy, Indonesia, not sure if the American vendors would ship there, possibly. Are there any shops out of Europe that cater to that area of the world?

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I remember seeing pipe smokers when i was a kid. In the street and in films.

I didn't think it was clever but they all seemed to be enjoying it.

It smelled great and kinda looked fun.

Fast forward 25 years and i have forgotten all about the pipe and i never started but i am addicted to cigarettes.

One day i am looking on a forum of ppl trying to quit smoking and someone mentions smoking a pipe. All my wants of smoking a pipe as a child came flooding back, so i dumped the nails and here i am.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
A family friend smoked a pipe when I was a child, and my father smoked one on ocassion.. I have been using one form of tobacco or another since I was nine years old thanks to my grandfather who was a trucker and biker.. I find that the pipe is relaxing, and I don't inhale them like I did cigarettes.. I smoke cigars as well, and have given up the cigs, chewing tobaccos and snuff for the pipe and cigars..

Aug 14, 2012
I found a dried up tobacco pouch and crappy pipe in a closet at home when I was 14. My father had tried and abandoned it maybe 15-20 years before. It wasn't very good. Eventually I got the cash together to get a good pipe and some fresh tobacco. It was Edgeworth, not great but not bad. For some reason my parents did not try to stop me. I enjoyed it and was hoping it would stunt my growth. At 6 feet I towered over my friends and didn't want to become freakishly tall. I don't know if it worked, but I didn't get taller. A close friend wanted to try it and he became a pipesmoker too. On weekends we hung out, and were well known at the major NYC tobacconists: Dunhill, Petersons, Lane Ltd (where a gentleman named Val demonstrated and explained tobacco blending to us) and Wilke. Wilke was run by two delightful old Ladies that were almost like grandmothers to us. We later found out that they were the aunts of the artist Hannah Wilke. On the subway down, we played mental chess. A few years later I got a summer job at Petersons, across from Grand Central Station. It is now called Barclay Rex, or something like that. Most of our pipes were Wilkes. They were completely unfinished, high quality, and you could get a great pipe there for $20. Dunhill had a large store on 5th Ave, opposite St Patrick's Cathedral. It was a tobacco & pipe shop that sold some clothing upstairs. There were individual cigar humidors upstairs where, free of charge, they would unwrap the cigars and age them for you. My humidor was next to VP Nelson Rockefeller's. (The cigar smoking came a little later.) They also mixed tobaccos to order, which they called My Mixture. The most popular was #965, which is still sold, canned. I bought my first Dunhill there, a panel, which cost $22. Even a high school kid with a nothing job could afford a Dunhill in those days. Now Dunhill has moved to Madison Ave and has become just another clothing store.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I started smoking a pipe in college because I thought it was part of being a "college man". (This was many years ago.)

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Good post!!! I was battling a 20 smokeless tobacco addiction with nails and didn't like nails. Then I saw the word Cavendish on a bag of RYO tobacco and investigated. It sounded good so i went to P&C and saw a picture of a medallion of MacBaren Dark Twist Cake Roll and ordered it. It just looked good. It burnt the hell out of my mouth, abd I gave most of it away only to find that now I love the stuff. lol I just didn't know how to smoke a month ago. lol

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I was looking for a way to smoke my cigar nubs and thought a pipe would work. Wrong. I decided I'd try the pipe smoking the right way and now I smoke it more than cigars. Although I do still like cigars.

This was a year ago, now I have 16 pipes, 12 versions of tobacco and still buying more.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I can say that I've been a smoker of some sort all of my life. I actually had my first cigarette at age 10, smoked another substance at 13.
I smoked cigarettes off and on for years - never more than a pack-a-day kind of thing. Eventually quit, but smoking is in my blood I think. As Cosmo Kramer once said "it scratches me where I itch"
H50Ob.jpg

The idea of smoking a pipe just popped into my head one day and I went out and bought a cheap pipe and some tobacco and the rest is history. :puffy:

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
For the same reason that I traded baseball caps for stingy brim fedoras (thanks, Ken); Bogart wore them. And the boy in me, the boy I am at heart, wants to be just like Bogey.

http://eyecafe.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/why-i-started-smoking-a-pipe/

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
As a child, I remember that the story characters that intrigued me the most were pipe smokers...Santa Claus, wizards (e.g. Gandalf), the wise professors, the adventurers, the explorers, the detectives (i.e. Holmes)...so I said to myself, "that's who I want to resemble".... pipe smoking lingered in the back of my mind until college. In college, I sought the pipe.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Had been a cig smoker since I was 15. Had tried a few cigars here and there. Then my girlfriend brought me from Cuba the Piramides seleccion (Montecristo, R&J, Partagas, Cohiba and Hoyo). Excellent cigars!! So I went to Blatter & Blatter to buy more cigars. Being there a few times, I thought I should try the pipe. Been hooked since! My cigar consumption went down ($$ saved) and I stopped cigs and even the marijane (more $$ saved).
Plus I like the 'ritual' around pipe smoking.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
A number of people throughout my life smoked pipes, a friend's dad in particular. I enjoyed the smell, the look, the quiet sense of peace that seemed to accompany it.
Finally, one day at a Tinder Box, I bought a little basket pipe. It was all uphill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.