PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithrys

Lurker
May 8, 2010
Hi, I have been smoking a tobacco pipe for a few years now, and started to wonder why I chose to smoke a pipe. I like the briar and meerschaum pipes and some of the designs of handcrafted pipes. In this sense the pipes are like works of art and make nice collectors items. I also like the “idea” of pipes, their history, and the people that have been associated with them, fictional and real. Pipe use typically requires a relaxing atmosphere and ample amount of time to really be appreciated, in my opinion.

They are initially expensive, and there are certainly easier ways to consume tobacco.
What about you, what got you interested?
thanks

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
The smell of the tobacco burning... When I was a kid I just loved the smell of my Dad's pipe. One I tried it myself I discovered the taste to be to my liking. The day I discovered Captain Black I thought I had died and gone to tobacco heaven, you see I loved the flavor and girls loved the aroma. Now as an older man I really enjoy the time it takes to smoke and enjoy a pipe, the stress release I feel while smoking a bowl is worth whatever it cost me in time or money.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto on JC's last couple of thoughts. But one of the most attractive features of pipe smoking

is the astounding variety of tobaccos available in this format.

Tobacum longa, vita brevis.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Because after Herself quit smoking, I wasn't allowed to smoke cigars in the house anymore.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Now I like me some cigars but the ones I like get darn expensive .With a pipe you get a lot of flavors to choose from and a little baccy goes along way making for a economically viable habit . That is unless you get a case of PAD .

mithrys

Lurker
May 8, 2010
How about when you think back to what initiated an interest in pipes?
I was a fan of the Hobbit and Sherlock Holmes when I was in high school, and bought by first pipe when I was 18. It was a meer (a cheap one) carved into an eagle claw which I thought was cool looking, but I was crap when it came to knowing how to smoke it properly. Since then my smoking was sporadic, I only just got back into it a few years ago.
thanks

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16.

I suppose that I came by it honestly, my Dad, his Dad, and probably his Dad smoked pipes.

I did the coughin' nail thing because they were convenient.

Now, I'm in to inconvenient, too many things are too easy these days.

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
I was drawn to the history of pipe smoking going all the way back to the late 16th century. It also gives me an excuse to use my flint and steel for more than just starting camp fires. I think I will have to post a video of how I light a pipe with a flint and steel and charcloth....

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I'm just kind of drawn by it.
I'd like to think I'm contemplative, but maybe I'm not...So, I smoke a pipe and think about it.

snapperg

Lurker
Mar 23, 2010
I have always had trouble slowing down and relaxing. A friend suggested the "ritual of pipe smoking". He told me that to smoke a pipe properly and get the most out of the tobacco, you have to take time. By taking time you will be rewarded with great smoke and you will inevitably be relaxed. He was right, I'm in!

maduroman

May 15, 2010
smoked cigs for years, 5 packs a day at one point. chewed tobacco, did nasal snuff and smoked pipes & cigars.
now i smoke a pipe and cigars because i CAN.
i enjoy both of them, they MAKE me relax.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
there were times i had a lit cig and a chaw of redman at the same time...

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
The history behind them and the value. If you compare pipes to cigars or cigarettes, I know in my case I save alot of money. Still use dip though.

Status
Not open for further replies.