PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, I took my friend who lives in Richmond to the pipe show. I was pretty excited. He had no idea what was going on. I think after seeing me oogle pipes and try new blends, he wanted in on the fun. So, we went to the Missouri Meerschaum table where he got a tutorial on Corn Cobb pipes from the Morgans. He selected one he liked and then we went off to find something to fill it with. He kept asking me what to try. We narrowed it down and he wanted to try an English Blend (my kind of guy). I think it was the smell from the Magnum Opus that Russ let me try that sold him. He asked me where to begin and I looked at him and asked him, "Why are you asking me?"
So we went to the Pipes and Cigars table. Russ talked with him, explained different blends to him, let him smell all these different types, and helped him pick a good one to begin with. Then Russ taught him how to pack a pipe and properly smoke one to enjoy the flavor and nuance. I have to admit, I was soaking it in and learning so much too! I kept thinking to myself, how often does someone get in to pipe smoking by meeting the maker of his pipe and then learn to smoke a pipe by the master blender who made his tobacco? How lucky is my friend? How lucky am I to witness that? How awesome is Russ for taking the time to do all that?
Russ, thank you so much for your kindness, your patience, and your wisdom. You made the show truly memorable for at least two of us and I can't thank you enough for being just an awesome guy!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing quincy - that sounds like a great experience, you and your friend is very lucky indeed.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Quincy, thanks for sharing that story with us. Your friend is lucky you chose to bring him along, and it sounds like you both took value from his experiencing our hobby with fresh eyes. I can't wait to get to my first show. Chicago is definitely on my list for 2014. The only question for me is whether to go down for the pipe making workshop and the show, or just the show.
Glad you had a good time, pal.
-- Pat

Jan 8, 2013
That is a great story, quincy :) And that is why I will continue to buy Black House and likely try some other Hearth and Homes blends soon (weird that I like BH so much but haven't tried any others). That sounds like a pretty memorable experience. I'd have felt like a kid in a candy store, I'm sure :)

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Yes good question Rothnh inquiring minds want to know! I love a good mystery!

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Can you believe my friend doesn't remember what blend it was??
Papipeguy, I'd like to take credit for picking the Magnum Opus, but Russ picked it for me after telling me all about it. So, it was his great taste and not mine. But, holy cow! It's nice!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Great story, Quincy!
I'm sure Russ could use the kudos after dealing with the shipping dept. Even though I can't buy his tobacco (WA) I wish him only the best. You & your friend are lucky fellows.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I do find it interesting that when somebody posts something negative it blows up on the forum with 50+ replies, but when somebody posts something positive not so much... It isn't a comment on the forum so much, as it is with life or human nature. Look at the news too. We as human beings seem to gravitate to the negative and then complain that nothing positive is going on. Oh, if we had eyes to see and ears to hear...

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
We had a saying in our medical office " It takes 7 good visits to erase one bad visit for a patient". I am not sure whey negativity lingers much longer than the good.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You have a point, quincy. It's like when you go someplace where people from the same company are there and all they do is bitch about the place. Misery loves company and, for some, other's happiness is an affront.

I like being happy and when I have a good experience with someone I tell them and thank them.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for sharing Quincy, sounds like the perfect way to introduce your friend to our hobby (now his hobby). I hope that he stays with it and joins the forums so he can share his growth and experiences with us ;)
We were actually talking about this topic at Morely's Pipe Club in Philadelphia last night. It is a shame that Russ has to take the brunt of our displeasure at P&C. He isn't the Shipping Mgr, he isnt the Ops guy, nor is he the QC guy. We transitioned this scenario into our own professional lives (and a nuclear issue I have going on with Lowe's and a LOUSY kitchen floor install) and we all came to the conclusion that it is refreshing when someone takes ownership and accountability for "the company" and tries to do the right thing for the customer. I have yet to have a bad experience with P&C from a piping standpoint and CI is my main stop for cigars and accessories.
So Quincy, the positive here is that you had a wonderful time with your friend, he dove headfirst into this great hobby, and you both got to meet a good man that showed you some things that have advanced your smoking pleasure. Sounds like a win/win to me :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Frankly, I've come to expect nothing less from Russ based on what we've all seen him do for us. He's always been a complete gentleman to all of us, more times over than can be counted. Russ spends more time doing things that are outside his purview than befits his job description. He's not getting paid for that extra work he's doing on our behalf, and he's obviously not concerned about it. Little things, big things... it doesn't matter. Russ has been there for us time and again, and not just because it's good business for P&C. He does it because he cares, and we are the lucky beneficiaries of his devotion to the pipe smoking world. In this day and time where job quality seems not to be the priority it once was in the world, Russ repeatedly shows that it does matter to him.
It probably sounds like I'm trying to canonize him, but we need to let Russ know we don't take what he does for granted, and that he's appreciated for continually going above and beyond the call of duty whatever the size of the problem is. Hope you know that, Russ!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks everyone for being so generous. I'm only giving back to the community in return for all the friendship and enjoyment I've gotten from it. I know what it was like when I first picked up a pipe (with disastrous results), and know how much it meant when a few kind souls offered me advice that allowed me to enjoy pipe smoking as a pastime.

In the last nine years, I've become closely associated with the PipesandCigars.com and Hearth & Home brands, so when anything goes awry, I take it to heart. Even though the reason I jump in when there are problems is to help our customers, I'm also being a little selfish to take pride in what we do.

Quincy, it was great meeting you and your friend and thank you for your kindness.
Russ

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Way to go Russ, but I'm not surprised. Your friend chose well, Magnum Opus is one of my favorites, in fact, I'm going to pack a bowl right now! I've been fortunate and had the opportunity to interact with Russ in NY at the old location and various pipe clubs, he is a true ambassador for the pipe community.
The whole CORPS show as to me, a fantastic event. Many big players in the pipe community were represented, and no one I met disappointed (one day I'll get to meet Kevin). Show traffic on Saturday seemed strong with a lot of young pipers walking around. This year, I took the time to talk to several of the CORPS members, who were also fascinating. I spoke to several, young and local pipers and urged everyone to take advantage of such a wonderful club.
Later in the day, I ended up at a table with Les, Neill and the Philly club. They always make me feel welcome in their group and those fellows have a ton of pipe knowledge to offer. All I have to do is listen. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.