PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Recently I was searching through eBay for a replacement for my "car" pipe and found this interesting pipe. It was a modest Peterson billiard, nothing unusual about it except it was a typical unadorned pipe, not even a Peterson band. In fact, the pipe was a Reject. Tossed in a bid then went to bed.

I was careless about my bid in placing the decimal point; this nondescript pipe had 17 bides on it, and because of my bid, I won! At $60! But why? What made this this flawed pipe so expensive?
s-l1600-5-600x428.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Actually I think I was going to bid $30. I was very tired, so I mistyped something. But still $60 is a lot for a factory reject, don't you think? I was attracted to the pipe because it didn't have any decorative bands (I know, that sounds strange coming from someone who always hails the virtues of Peterson). It makes me wonder if I accidentally picked up a collector's item.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I do think it’s a bit high but it got that high because people get caught up in the bidding process. I’ve gotten Peterson’s and Savinelli’s on Ebay for much cheaper. Moral of the story? Be fully alert when bidding on a pipe. I think we’ve all been there though... I know I have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's the same guy I got my Fiamatta 904 for $26. If you see something else of his, throw him an offer before anyone else bids. He's very fair.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
I paid £30 plus postage for my first Grabow which i now know was a bit on the high side.Its a classy pipe to me so i am happy.There are lots of reasons why something becomes a reject and somethimes it's neither here nor there and rejected items sometimes become expensive because of the fact it's a reject.I quite like the look of the pipe you posted, wether it's worth $60 i don't know, hold on to it for a few years and you might be surprised howmuch it's worth then.
Wiz

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had no idea that you could buy a pipe that wasn’t broken for less than $60. That is the price of bucketpipes that I’ve seen.
All but two of my Savinelli 904 collection were under $50.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Timing is everything with auctions. If you happen to be bidding when there’s a “I just Gotta win !” guy out there, things can get ugly fast. In various auctions (not just pipes) you see winning bids can be all over the place for the exact same item.
I’ve really got more pipes than I need. I try to only buy when it’s a super bargain. But, I’m not always successful doing so.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
If he had it listed as a Peterson, that's why. Although...I'm surprised that the bids went that high for a Pete reject.
I am friends with the seller - Peterpipes. He's a great guy, and as fair as they come. His name is Herman...tell him JoeMan sent you. 8)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I had no idea that you could buy a pipe that wasn’t broken for less than $60. That is the price of bucketpipes that I’ve seen.
Michael- You really need to get to a pipe show. Swarms of good pipes under $50.00
And my last basket pipe was ca. $30, a Parker that's a beauty. (Though sorted through 50 pipes in the basket, and the airfare to London was not figured into the cost)

I've been to two pipe shows. I also visit every pipe and cigar shop from sea to shining sea.

I'm not saying that there aren't pipes out there for less. Although, I never see them or even look for that range of pipe. "I" would just expect a pipe that cheap to be something no one would really want. When I go to a pipe show, I don't go looking for used swap pipes. Other people can go for their own reasons. I just go looking for pipes that fit my collections.

Everyone is different. I think I preach that more than most on here. But still. Can I not be shocked that someone thought that $60 was way too much? It cost me $60 for one meal at a meat and three. ...ha ha, sure, sure, some people may find a dive for serves meals for four for way less than that. But, to each their own. :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"What made this this flawed pipe so expensive?"
You did by placing the highest bid.
For what it's worth I have several Peterson 'Reject' pipes are they all smoke great.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Can I not be shocked that someone thought that $60 was way too much? It cost me $60 for one meal at a meat and three. ...ha ha, sure, sure, some people may find a dive for serves meals for four for way less than that. But, to each their own. :puffy:
Yes, and understood. But that shock does not gainsay that there are tons of good pipes available for well under that amount at the WCPS and the Chicago show. (only ones I have been to)

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I agree with Cosmic in that...if you have the means to purchase mid-level and higher pipes, and prefer to stay there, that preference is just as respectable as someone who either lacks in budget, or simply prefers to spend less and knows he can get a pipe that smokes just as well. And Cosmic isn't looking down on the cheaper pipe...he just expects that a cheaper pipe is likely less desirable in one or more ways...and that's ok. And trust me...there ARE cheaper pipes which are poorly made and smoke like crap. We've likely all seen'em.
I currently have about 250 pipes in the collection...from corn cob to Grabow to Peterson to Caminetto to Dunhill. Guess what? I have a $6 Grabow from the 1950's that smokes equally well as ANY pipe I own. I'm 5 years into running an estate briar table at pipe shows (Chattanooga, Richmond, Raleigh to date)...and I've had many a pipe snob (especially in Richmond) walk past my table mumbling something about "I'd rather have one $300 pipe than ten $30 pipes" as they walk by. To each his own, and I respect your preference. I'd rather have the pipes which fit my preference (and my budget)...and while I have a few expensive ones (and have had & sold far more than I own), I typically camp out with pipes ranging from $20 - $80...for the most part...because those I have smoke just as good as much higher-dollar briar.

Right on, if it weren't for the swap market, most of us wouldn't have a rotation. I started with a Savinelli made Piuma for $80, and then gathered a dozen or so refurbs and bucketpipes. But, I was finding $60 to 100 pipes were about the status quo, Colding, Oldenkot, etc... As I built my rotation, I had to ask myself why I "needed" more pipes. I developed a map for myself that involved saving up to buy a pipe, or with my favorite pipeshop that I had a relationship with, I set up layaway for pipes that I would never have the walking around cash to buy. I get maybe two new pipes a year, sometimes just one. So, I don't usually check out swap tables (and by swap, I mean refurbs and the like, not a dis at all) or look for cheap on ebay. Thus, my surprise at the OP question.
If someone wants to continue just collecting as many pipes as possible, that's perfectly ok. I have a few buddies in my pipe club that play by the quantity over "quality" rule, however you want to define "quality."
Seconds can sometimes attract a certain trend. There are folks that desire the Seconds over the name brands. This might explain the bids. I've heard that sometimes someone can get a Dunhill at $5 from a newbie ebayer and a lot of luck. But, expecting such a nice pipe as is pictured for less than $60 just rang my bell, considering my ignorance of that under$60 market. My initial thought was that $60 for such a handsome pipe was very reasonable. You've got a very nice pipe there, Sparrow. I hate that you feel like you got a bad deal there. That can sometimes ruin a pipe for one. I had to let a beautiful Ser Jacopo go at a loss, because of some bad blood in my initial deal. I just couldn't look at the pipe, much less smoke it in front of my wife who wouldn't let me forget the bad deal, haha. So, I understand the feeling. I hope you grow to love that pipe. And, I for one thank you got a square deal. Maybe when you get it in hand, some magic will happen and every smoke will be a twinkle in the stars for you.

Happy smokes :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.