PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I was born in 1981. Like so many here I am looking for a birth year pipe so I'm always checking around to see what is available. Dunhills can sell for so much but the one's I have seen from the 80s are a fraction of what others sell for. I understand that 1960s and earlier Dunhill’s are sought after etc but the 80s really seem to take a price fall. Is it just the pipes I have seen available or is there something lingering about this era I am unaware of?
Now before all you old gents rip into this young whippersnapper I warn you! I am paying you Social Security and will soon be visiting you in hospice care so be nice. Actually I am very fond of the forum members and I have learned more about pipes here than anywhere else. Men need mentors in all walks of life (or at least so I believe) and I thank you all for your insights.
j/B

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I doubt there is anything "wrong" with pipes of that era to the casual smoker. It's more than likely just a collector thing. Older is always better, right? Heck, a Dunhill is, after all, a machine made pipe. Besides, "old" guys are looking for birth year patent era Dunhills! Be happy your birth year pipe is affordable and get one before 81 Dunills are the old pipes. That would be my high school graduation year pipe. PS. Thanks for paying into Social Security! :D
Mike S.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Supply and demand perhaps. A lot of those pipes from the 60s have been smoked to death, literally, whilst the ones from the 80s and newer haven't (yet) been.
Locating a birth year can be challenging. I'm still trying to locate a 1977 that doesn't have a huge bowl, a funky shape, or has been smoked to a char. Any leads on, let's say, a well-cared-for Group 3 Liverpool or a Group 2 Billiard ?

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I'll be looking for an '86 soon. Nice to know they'll be nice and cheap(er)!

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Why do you think dunhills are machine made?

http://youtu.be/BcmBL9bv_0I

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Hey there's an AWESOME a 1967 DR up now for auction!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361140557509

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hark back to the recent post of the 1967 Peterson catalog that featured two Dunhills, one for

$35 and another for $40 (I think it was). Imagine that. Even corrected for inflation, I think that

is considerably less than today's new Dunhill prices. Time does strange things.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
@mso489

The inflation rate (according to the US inflation calculator) makes that $35 from 1967 into $247.46, in current money. That's about the price one pays for a '67 Dunhill in good shape nowadays and about 1/3 of the price for a new one. All we need is a time machine.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
US inflation calculator is a very inaccurate tool. There are better calculators there computing by real earning values etc. But that overcomplicates things and will take this thread in a very different direction.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
I recently found a birth year Dunhill on eBay, a 1972 Red Bark: apparently the inaugural year of that finish. It'll be my first Dunhill pipe, as well, so I look forward to seeing how it feels and smokes.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I was born in 81 as well but with my limited budget I find it hard to find a 81 for a price I was willing to pay.

That's how I ended up with a 61 shell and 34 Bruyere (with a replacement stem)

I think its just a case of the earlier ones pop up on eBay more often as pipe smoking was more common in the 50's and 60's compared to the 80's where it seems to me in my limited knowledge thats when the cigar boom? or that was the 90's not sure.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I am always on the lookout for a 1978 dunnie that i fall in love with.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
personally I own Dunhill pipes dating from the early 1900's to current day. They are all very good smokes IMO and the quality has been excellent over the years. The ONLY difference IMO is from the collector's view. Like someone said, "older is always better" from a collector's viewpoint. Right now the 1980's Dunhills are a bargain from what I see. Buy low, sell high. :D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why do you think dunhills are machine made?
It's not exactly a secret. Some are still handmade, but in the late 1960's Dunhill let go most of its hand making department and brought in replicators. We had a thread on this a few months back, which was taken down. The details were explained my a member who was one of Dunhill's top dealers. All things considered, it was a smart move.
There's nothing wrong with a pipe being machine made.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I was late to the Dunhill party because I just did not get around to them, but all ten of mine which are all post '67 have been great. Thin comfortable bits, lightweight, and fun to smoke. They are all '70's to '90's estate Roots or Bruyere's.

Status
Not open for further replies.