PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That's me. Pretty chill I suppose. I just realized I look like a frat brother. Just so you all no that's not me at all.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I guess I gage "smart" differently. Education level is not a good measure. I know many very educated people some very smart some not so much. Like wise I know many who are not educated beyond high school and again some are very smart and some not so much. The level of education dont seem to have any bearing on the matter.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There is a difference between "education", "intelligence", and "wisdom". Intelligence is the only one of the three that we are born with; the others are all acquired with time. A 16 year old can be quite intelligent, but has not had the life experience to acquire wisdom, nor a long enough life to acquire much education - which explains why teenagers do some really dumb stuff. :D

Things that over-emphasize on rigid thinking - rote learning, subscription to dogma - can stifle the mind, restricting the use of intelligence and preventing the honest thinking that is required to acquire true wisdom. An open mind is crucial. :puffpipe:

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I can say for sure, I was not born with much intelligence. It has taken me years of self examination to realize this (i.e. wisdom). I have education now so that I teach college science classes. There are students in my classes that have much more intelligence than I did at their age and some more than I do now. Sometimes their questions and answers baffle me - I admit my feeble mind at those times. What I was born with is a sense of responsibility and a zeal to do my best - those characteristics have carried me through.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
i_see_stupid_people_organic_kids_tshirt.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I got both the bat and the ball, and the lily pad questions correct lol.
Not sure how anyone could get those wrong :crazy:
Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
When I was young here in the south.A great many folks had little school learning.They were very good though at living off the land.I guess one could say that their ability to survive in their environment made them smart.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Why the SAT is not a great measure of Intelligence
http://www.sat-tutors-blog.com/2009/02/14/why-the-sat-is-not-a-great-measure-of-intelligence/

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I guess I gage "smart" differently. "
Apparently not by spelling. Sorry, I couldn't let that one slip by.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
While I don't see standardized testing as a way to gauge intellect; I do believe education is the route to gain knowledge. Education could be a college, trade school, or even your dad teaching you how to use a bench grinder. Something can be learned from anyone regardless of a person's age or education.
Oh and personal attacks don't show your intelligence. :lol:

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
"I guess I gage "smart" differently. "
Apparently not by spelling. Sorry, I couldn't let that one slip by
No, spell check didn't fail. My grammar however, did.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Oh and personal attacks don't show your intelligence."
No personal attack meant by me. Just a weak attempt at humor. No offense meant.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
storient - I replied: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/zanthals-avatars
The title of the article actually had me thinking it was going to be an opinion piece. What I found interesting about the article is that it gave some acknowledgement to the fact that conflicts challenge us to think in new ways.
Seems to me that the SAT is a big of an oxymoron. It's a Standardized test, hence the name, but they have to change it regularly in order to keep people from cheating, right?

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Come on guys...haven't you seen Forest Gump?....stupid is what stupid does...duh... :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.