Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Why Read "What Are You Smoking" Thread?

(21 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why read the "What Are You Smoking Thread?" Some members have mentioned that they usually don't read the thread, which is renewed fresh each month. I am a crazily curious guy, sometimes driving my wife nuts with my questions, like living with a nine-year-old. So perhaps I'm not the typical case. Despite being a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day, with days off, I often post on the thread. I thought I'd offer a few reasons I read the thread, and see if you have other reasons.

My reasons are: 1) To be introduced to new blends, or reminded of other blends I have looked at or tried. 2) As a bit of amateur marketing research to see what people are buying -- the genres of tobacco, aromatic versus non-aro, and so on. 3) To see what pipes get smoked and how people match up the pipes with the blends. 4) To catch the occasional comments and mini-reviews by various members. 4) To marvel at the quantity, variety, and accompanying food and beverage enjoyed by master reviewer jiminks who is a Forums phenomenon. 5) To feed my driven curiosity about nearly everything, not just pipe smoking.

How about you? Do you read the thread, and why or why not?

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I look for inspiration when I can't decide what to smoke and it's the only way I might ever catch up with your post count...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I don't read it...and that's what attracted me to the title of your thread That said, I can certainly see why it exists for all the reason's you gave. For me, I'm just so settled in with just under ten different blends that I would just be repeating myself over and over again if I posted on it, lol; but I do think the thread should provide quite a bit of benefit especially to those new to our hobby/habit.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always like to see what Jim is smoking. I don't really know why, I just do.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to read what Jim is smoking because we also get a snapshot into his life.

Plus it gives me ideas when/if I'm in the mood for something different.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all about checking in on Jim (I have even copied his food recipes from prior posts). And I like to see what others are smoking and drinking to pass the time. This section, for me, is fun and entertaining in a personal way. It is different than just looking at pictures on Instagram.

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy getting to know certain people's smoking habits, and if I find (through 'What are you Smoking' or other posts) that someone has similar tastes to me, I like to keep tabs on what they're smoking, as odds are I'll like that too.

I also really enjoy the posts with pictures. Npod and Piffyr among them, but there are several people who accommodate my desire to look at dozens of pipes each day.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't read through the entire thread like I do others. I skim through it occasionally out of curiosity to see what others are smoking. I enjoy the posts with the pictures...I always read those.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the pictures

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

econ' and others, I'm not sure I'd skip posting because of self-repetition. I do change blends, but it takes me a long time, so I do some repetition over a three/four month period. But even if you smoke only five blends, or three, you are part of the mosaic, and it's significant to readers that you are happy over time with those, maybe. Also, pairing with pipes is another dimension.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I look for blends that several people smoke regularly so I don't miss a great smoke.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 6 months ago #
  12. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I don't know why I look through it. Boredom? To waste time? Curiosity?

But I do enjoy it for whatever reason.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Kevin gives me a free subscription to the e-Zine in exchange for keeping an eye on The Weez's smoking habits.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Why do I read it? Because just about everything else around here is, as Cosmic would say, jibber jabber. I post on it because what I smoke and what I smoke it in, is about all I really know for sure.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thank you folks for the kind words. I greatly enjoy the thread to see what others smoke and what pipe they use, pus whatever comments they care to make. I enjoy the company. It's the closest thing I have to being with fellow smokers, unless I go to a convention.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

But even if you smoke only five blends, or three, you are part of the mosaic, and it's significant to readers that you are happy over time with those, maybe. Also, pairing with pipes is another dimension.

Good point mso!

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a lot of folks, it's not really about what anyone's smoking so much as it is a way to interact with other members. Other threads usually have a very specific topic, and if you don't have anything to add, then there's no way to interact meaningfully with others. But anyone can contribute to the What are you Smoking threads. Kind of like IRL - all those old men hanging out at McDonalds at 6:00 AM aren't there just for the coffee.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^This^^^

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I like to read it because no one is bitching or arguing or trying to be cute or trying to impress everyone with superiority in the ways of pipe smoking. But maybe that’s just me.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its a great way to check in on Jim!

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a kind of infotainment. Lots of blends get mentioned and occasionally rated, Jim and others give some nice little snapshots of everyday life, and some members post beautiful photos of pipes and stuff. I like it.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   spartan99, bayareabriar, smudgersmissingleg, frankrem, pitchfork, rodo, ashdigger, cshubhra, oldgeezersmoker, 3rdguy, marc75