PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I love plug tobaccos like Peterson's 3 P's, G&H Dark Plug, Jacknife Plug, SG Plugs. I am curious why the brands mentioned in the thread title are not sold here in the USA? Or are they sold in the USA but hard to find?
Love the ritual of prepping plug tobacco, and usually deeper fuller flavors.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Could be a marketing thing. While these plugs do have a small, dedicated following in the States, there probably isn't wide enough demand to begin exporting full-scale.
Sadly it works both ways - most of the great American brands (McClelland, C&D, Sutliff etc) are almost totally unavailable in Europe. I've got to order from 4noggins if I want any diversity of selection beyond the ubiquitous Peterson and Dunhill catalogues.

K

klause

Dryseason, have a look at Danpipe in Germany - it will change your world and spare your pockets.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
While these plugs do have a small, dedicated following in the States, there probably isn't wide enough demand to begin exporting full-scale.
That makes sense. At the same time maybe they only have a small following and demand because it's not readily available. People don't have a chance to try it, don't know where to get it or not willing to pay extra to purchase it. Like you said it also works both ways with blends that are only available in the US.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I believe it was Marty Pulvers who spoke with the distributor of Escudo when it had been discontinued. IIRC (it's in his pipesmagazine.com interview) the entire sales that last year was some fifty pounds of that blend. Marty said, something to the effect that he must know everyone in this country that smokes Escudo! I also think you can't discount the threat of lawsuits in our lawyer laden Republic too. Think Amphora. All things being equal, I think the number of blends not readily available overseas dwarfs those unavailable here.
Mike S.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Part of the problem is that the European distributors and manufacturers may not have the rights to the brands here in the US. We're doing what we can to resolve some of these issues.
Russ

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A friend of mine went to Ireland last year and brought some Mick McQuaid's Plug back for me. After he came back, I got curious and emailed the Peterson shop in Dublin. They claimed that (unlike shops in the UK) they can take credit card orders from the USA. If so, presumably James Fox can as well. I have not ordered from either, so I can't say for sure. Between the two of them, a lot of those plugs should be available.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Darwin- Unfortunately GQ won't. I had a field day filling up my cart till I clicked on the shipping page and read
"Sorry but do to restrictions we can not ship Tobacco, Snuff or other Tobacco leaf products to The United States of America."
I cried somewhat.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Well I just got the second order I've made from GQ and both had tobacco in them. That warning is indeed on the site but just ignore it and order away. I also ordered a number of U.K. pouched tobaccos from Mr. Snuff with no problems.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I would think it would have something to do with international sales or laws in either country that make it to expensive to ship to the other countries

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Actually the UK tobaccos are expensive there as well as here because there are taxes that have to be paid before it ever gets to the retailer and consequently we also are forced to pay the same price as they do in the UK, adjusted for the currency valuations. We actually pay less because we don't pay the retail VAT they have to pay there. International shipping is more expensive than normal there so we do get gigged for that. So cheap it ain't but at least it is available on these shores.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have supplied Condor and a few other plugs to people on the forum. In fact I have back orders to fill for people on here as I use a supplier in Spain and I still maintain a UK bank account. I just don't do massive quantities of this stuff otherwise the US tax people would be all over me! You can certainly add your name to my list by PM'ing me but it will be a few months before I am caught up with everyones elses desires. The thread is called Universal Imports so it will give you some ideas.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Condor you clearly are in need of an orange 69 Charger with a big 'ol 01 painted on the side so's you kin run from the revenooers.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A friend of Andre's used to buy cigarettes from a company in Switzerland for a few years until he got a tax bill for $2000 so I tend to be very cautious and rely on Duty Free/visiting friends and other sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.