Why my Saturday morning was better than yours...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Barling Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjohnny

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
I slept in until 0800 amazed that I had slept at all given the number of bad anniversaries I suffered this week. Then I brewed up a nice strong pot of Trader Joe's New Mexico arabica blended with toasted pinion nut into which I added just a fraction of a gram of cinnamon. While this percolated in my Old-School blue and white enamel ware coffee perc on the stove, I popped open a fresh tin of Sutliff Private Stock "Black Swan" burley and let it breathe. Once the coffee was done, I poured a steaming dose of onyx black joe into the hand thrown stoneware mug I fabricated over the summer. Then, I retired to the back patio with my cup, my pipe, and the pugs. Each of the three dogs picked out a tree-filtered sunbeam next to the koi pond while the worlds most useless cat played with snails on the sun-dappled waterfall. I carefully did a final thumb tamp on my Mr. Brog ChoChla and started the initial toast burn. Finally, to the sound of the songbirds, waterfall, and snoring pugs, I put my feet up on the limestone wall of the flowerbed and enjoyed my coffee and smoke while I read through the night's RSS feeds on my netbook.

Everyone was asleep but myself, the wild birds and the cat. The neighborhood was free, for once, of traffic, aircraft and children. I tossed some chow to the koi and watched them apprehensively steal individual nuggets from between the golden sycamore leaves that had fallen into the pond overnight. A cool breeze filtered through the yard, barely disturbing the potted ferns and late season iris flowers. A single male oriole waited in the mulberry tree over the upper pond for the cat to slink off deep into the variegated hostas to hunt crickets. Po-dog stirred only to climb up into my lap to sleep in that boneless, shapeless mass only a 45 pound giganto-pug can. I dozed on and off for a bit, my pipe going out, my coffee gone cold.
And that, my friends, is just the sort of reason I left all that stress and union bulldookey behind and started college this late in life. On mornings like this one, you quickly realize that none of that work-related insanity is worth it, a new career is. Sunbeams and a good smoke are too, even more so.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Very nice, I can picture the scene well. I've enjoyed a late Saturday morning/afternoon in a similar fashion:
After brewing and enoying a pot my favorite Starbucks I cooked some eggs and had them with Tapatio hot sauce, toast and orange juice. After cleaning up the kitchen I retired to my patio as well to smoke a bowl of Autumn Evening in my meerschaum. All the while Eastwood and Van Cleef in "A Few More Dollars" played in the background on AMC. I love Saturdays! :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Very nice, I can picture the scene well. I've enjoyed a late Saturday morning/afternoon in a similar fashion:
After brewing and enoying a pot my favorite Starbucks I cooked some eggs and had them with Tapatio hot sauce, toast and orange juice. After cleaning up the kitchen I retired to my patio as well to smoke a bowl of Autumn Evening in my meerschaum. All the while Eastwood and Van Cleef in "A Few More Dollars" played in the background on AMC. I love Saturdays! :puffy:

sailorjohnny

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for all the replies! I have over two years of manual labor into creating the perfect outdoor relaxation area.

9I try to take as much advantage as possible of the little good weather we get in Nebraska...) My only regret is that I wish I had some better tobacco for such a morning. My carefully rationed stash from my favorite tobbaconist in San Diego ran out earlier this summer and sadly I haven't found a really good local one willing to order bulks for me so I can blend my own. Haven't had good luck with online suppliers so far, but I freely admit I am new to having to buy pipe tobbacco online. I really do not care for Sutliff Black Swan, but I have been burning that up to help conserve the one tin of AAA Virgina I found hiding in the back of the case at the local shop.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
Well I went to work and spend pretty much the whole of it listening to people tell me how nice it is outside or complaining how I can't let them parts on a weekend when the branch in their small town is closed... I love my job, but some customers suck. That is quite alright though, tomorrow I'm going to spend my one day off getting ready for Vegas and buying some more tobacco! Congrats on everyone having a good day though, knowing other people had a good day lets me know that I will have my turn soon :P

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It does sound like it was a nice morning.
Here's something to consider -
cam·er·a   [kam-er-uh, kam-ruh] plural cam·er·as for 1,2, cam·er·ae  [-uh-ree]

noun

a boxlike device for holding a film or plate sensitive to light, having an aperture controlled by a shutter that, when opened, admits light enabling an object to be focused, usually by means of a lens, on the film or plate, thereby producing a photographic image.
from dictionary.com

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
You had a MUCH better morning than I. I arose to face the aftermath of a leaking water line that damaged our spare bedroom. Had to cut out carpet, padding, tack strips, underlayment, drywall, and insulation. Called a plumber to fix the line, on overtime, continue the clean up, and think about the repairs to bring it back to livable. Will be several days before it's usable... Even with all that, I could not have been as eloquent as SailorJohnny in describing an idyllic morning... Jealousy raises her tempting but ugly head....

mikros

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
Darn nice morning there sailor :) Sounds great, nicely shared!

My morning was nice too in a different way, I went to my Saturday morning weigh-in and hit both my 85 and 90 pound loss mile-stones. :)
For the pipe-world... I took a real nice walk tonight around the neighborhood with my corncob "general" pipe loaded with Dunhill London Mix. Was awesomely relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.