Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Why Is Your Stash The Best Of All Possible Options?

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by deathmetal
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just reading Tom Wolfe on his idea of the "fiction-absolute":

Even before I left graduate school I had come to the conclusion that virtually all people live by what I think of as a "fiction-absolute." Each individual adopts a set of values which, if truly absolute in the world--so ordained by some almighty force--would make not that individual but his group . . . the best of all possible groups, the best of all inner circles. Politicians, the rich, the celebrated, become mere types. Does this apply to "the intellectuals" also? Oh, yes. . . perfectly, all too perfectly.

This led me to wonder: do I do this with my stash? Do I look at what I have cellared, and justified it as the best of all possibilities of tobacco that I could have stashed? And if so, what am I missing?

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have a little of everything, plus some discontinued blends, and tobacco going back to the late '90s. I'm satisfied.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My stash is not the best of all possible stashes. I know that for certain.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. okiebrad

okiebrad

Login to Send PM

A person's cellar would not be the best. However, at the moment of purchase it would be the best of all possibilities.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only perfect stash would be all possible blends past and present, available at all possible times. Clearly, it's never going to happen. Even if I worked at the SP warehouse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My stash is close but I really needed more Wilderness. I thought I had time, then the Sryian Lat ran out

But I have learned to live with disappointment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think my stash has as much as I will need/want in the event of being caught in a terrifying tobacco shortage or massive price increase etc. In fact some of the blends I'd like to put away in my stash (but have yet to obtain) include some of DM's own personal blends, some HU Tobacco burleys and some more day to day blends.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicbobo

David

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as I love the "poofy" flavors I am hoping to stack up a few drugstore blends, like Granger, Velvet, a few match blends. I have read that the match version of CH is better than CH. While I am waiting out Armageddon having a tub of each would be nice.

Be that as it may, it probably never was...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know about ol'Tom but I love the hope and excitement that comes from striving for the new. In such case discovery of the best will arrive at precisely the same time as discovery of the end. Aspiration trumps satisfaction. In other words, theres always a better tin out there waiting to be cracked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I am not pining for x or y or z blends, except for Bengal Slices, my stash is near perfect.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm good for about 20 years, which means that there's nothing I need to buy and plenty of options from which to choose. That'll do.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@thomasw -- thank you for the mention of the metal mixtures. If you ever need some, let me know in advance and I'll make sure I have them brewed up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My stash is deep and fairly wide. I've only purchased about 20 tins this year, along with some odds and ends and it's deeply satisfying to have completed a goal I set.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I exercise my curiosity and then my free choice, but after that what turns up is the scenery on a journey, some better than expected, some not, some worse. I'm not after a Platonic vision, but I try to take note and linger when something wonderful surfaces. Since I smoke moderately, and use the stash slowly, my modest trove looks wide and various to me. Right now I'm sipping Semois in a tall poker, a bowl which improves as it goes. As I've mentioned, I appreciate blends and leaf that is not a project to find and purchase. I consider availability a way a blender honors the customer. If I have to chase a blend across the internet or the landscape, I'm none too pleased.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's hard to equate a selection of items to a selected value system.

I just finished two months of "crash course" cellaring.

Although I'm just two months in to the pipe, I was schooled on the FDA deeming issue as a vaper.

My preparations have been splitting hairs to balance quality to budget. Additionally, I'm employing a good bit of speculation, lacking first hand experience with many of the acquisitions.

As we say in the surplus rifle/ammo world, "Buy 'm cheap and stack 'm deep."

Now that I have a small foundation to my cellar, I can slow down and be a bit more selective.

All that considered, my values do color my purchases.

You're not likely to see me in line for overpriced unobtanium, nor will you find me loading up the captain's grape....

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. glassjapan

glassjapan

Login to Send PM

I'm in the process of weeding out the blends that I wanted to like, and stocking up the ones I know I love. I'm getting to the point of less is more when it comes to how many different blends are in my cellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I long ago rejected any notions of absolutism and adopted Charlie Papazian's motto of "the best homebrew is the one I'm drinking right now". Although I've given a good deal of thoughtful condideration to building my cellar, compromises had to be made due to time and money. However, I refuse to let the absence of Unicornium deter me from full enjoyment of my pastime. To do so would be antithetical to the pursuit of happiness.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some good thoughts in this thread:

I consider availability a way a blender honors the customer. If I have to chase a blend across the internet or the landscape, I'm none too pleased.

Pragmatic pipesmoker here also. It makes sense to find things you can relatively easily obtain and enjoy them, instead of turning life into TobaccoQuest.

My preparations have been splitting hairs to balance quality to budget.

It's that balance that makes a blend enjoyable, in many ways. It's within the range of normal and sensible, yet a pleasure that fits your needs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

My preparations have been splitting hairs to balance quality to budget.

This is a hard time for the new guys. I'm in a fairly comfortable place after cellaring for a few decades, but the FDA has incited panic buying among the new smokers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My stash? A few, five or there about, tins of the half dozen blends I rely on.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wolfe's point of view, that the egoism of one's view is the egoism of the group to which he belongs is, I think, the more interesting question when compared to the more general question posed by the OP. Given that the laws of the antis have made smoking at the B&M and pub a practice past, the forums have become the group. Though there is a group culture, no one opinion rules the selection of either pipes or tobacco, but I would say that many of us have been diligent consumers of the best pipes we could afford and are biased toward tobacco without aromatic additives.

Egoism as the elevation of one's view at the expense of oneself and others, is the sad lot of humanity, especially this poster. There are far too many members of forums to identify the views of egotistic groups, but from time to time I do see such in specific threads.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

My stash is the best option, because I am guaranteed to enjoy every bowl. The simple life.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even if you could pin down some kind of XYZ coordinates for the ideal cellar, ACTUAL cellars also exist on the time axis; and what was ideal at one point on that axis might be no longer. Some of the tobacco I have, I bought because I wanted to expand my palate and broaden my knowledge and my taste. Some of those blends I tried, and don't much like. Here's a bad analogy--if my cellar is a DNA blueprint for the kind of future I'd like to have in smoking, then some of that DNA is "junk". It is noncoding, nonfunctional ballast. Vestigial.

That tin of Lakeland you keep moving from house to house is so much genetic drift!

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only after following your link, deathmetal, do I realize how on-the-nose that analogy turned out to be!

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. wy2w

wy2w

Login to Send PM

When the light of a thousand suns shine down upon my home, and the contents of my cellar are instantaneously vaporized I shall inhale deeply knowing that I am dying a happy man. Yes, I have to beat it to the punch, though. Ok, now I can’t leave my cellar! Well, so much for showers, and such. Hey, pass me that piece of flint; I need to fire my pipe…

@elbert - The string theory of tobacco - I like it!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@elbert:

Good theory. Fits all the facts. I also suffer from the presence of some blends that are not really to my taste. I tough it out. The Lakelands are stored in a custom-built cellar 400m from the house, however, and I can still smell them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fun article.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That tin of Lakeland you keep moving from house to house is so much genetic drift!

Tin? I have close to twenty pounds of various lakelands.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have close to twenty pounds of various lakelands.

Lakelands are measured in grandmas (a unit corresponding roughly to 98 lbs, dependent on humidity and altitude). You have 1/5 grandma of Lakelands.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, cdmjr, jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, jiminks, danimalia