Why Is Moretti Overlooked?

(50 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hoosierpipeguy
  • Latest reply from ak200p
  1. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've purchased 9 Morreti pipes now on eBay direct from the pipe maker. I have to say I'm shocked but pleased at the prices I've been able to buy those at. I've broken in 5 of them pretty good and they smoke as good as any radice I have owned or presently own. Every one effortlessly passes a pipe cleaner and all extremely well. They tend to be light for their size. They most remind me of Le Nuvole which I consider high praise. Marco is extremely responsive, ships immediately after the auction, they have always arrived with 2 days.

Is there some history I'm unaware of? I'm just vey puzzled by what I've seen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one. For me it is all timing. I just never seem to see an auction going at a great price when I am ready to pull the trigger. I have one, but I could just as easily have 20 if events had transpired a bit differently. They are that good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a set of three Rhodesians (Olivewood, Briar and Morta, same pipe/different materials) and you are right, they smoke as well as any of the Italian brands. They are still a good buy but have gone up in price over the last couple of years. The nice thing about Morreti pipes is that he will make you any pipe you would like for about the same amount as his current EBay price and the turnaround time is several weeks at worst. Good smokers, wonderful workmanship and priced to be a great value.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It must be something with the name "Moretti". Moretti beer is absolutely fabulous, IMO far superior to Peroni in every way. And yet, when Americans think of Italian beer, it is almost always Peroni.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do you think that they are overlooked? Is it because it is not discussed on here much? I think that some Italian pipe-makers just don't get much attention on the forums. But, here is a Moretti for $2000 - Moretti

But, keep in mind that there are tons and tons and tons of Italian pipe makers, so we can't give them all attention on the forums. Stefani, Armolini, Croci, Don Carlos, Jacano, Grigoriv, Baldi, Anatra, Ascorti, Bacigalupi, Brebbia, Rinaldo, I could go on and on and on... Apparently you can't swing a dead cat in Italy without hitting a pipemaker. I think that it's law there that every one who smokes a pipe must have their own personal one on one pipemaker.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. filmshooter

filmshooter

Login to Send PM

Ive seen these on there and would probably have one except for a grabow collecting frenzy I've been on recently. However, I never understood why the US seller that has so many of these listed is charging so much more than the Italy based seller. It made me wary of the actual origin as it seems the US seller has many to sell, at high prices, but offers little description for each. Meanwhile, the Italy based seller has a detailed description, offers them at low prices and starts auctions at a penny.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're correct about all the Italian pipe makers. When I said overlooked, I didn't mean here, I meant the market. Yes, I see he has a $2,000 pipe listed but the vast majority of his auctions go for $90 to $115.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It made me wary of the actual origin as it seems the US seller has many to sell, at high prices, but offers little description for each. Meanwhile, the Italy based seller has a detailed description, offers them at low prices and starts auctions at a penny.

I don't go to the grocer with my wife. She embarrasses the crap out of me with coupons and arguing over the price of every little thing. Me, when I see something I want, I get it. If I pay a little more than what I would have gotten if I had of spent hours researching and hours squabbling like a girl over 5%, then the price is worth not having to shop like a little old woman. Sometimes, I don't even look at prices.

But, I bet the differences in prices are the cost to the middleman that gets the pipes here, distributors.

Yeh, pipe sellers that don't supply sizes and weights are lazy Stronzo.

But, probably the key reason for the lack of attention to certain Italian makers is due to lack of distribution and representation. A good middle man beats a big drum. But, if you can buy directly from Italy and get the pipes for cheaper, then if I were the middle man, I would avoid the freakin' hell out of that brand. Only a complete moron would represent a pipe maker that allows his pipes to be sold directly to the customers. If you have to compete with the maker, then you are playing a losing game.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

I like moretti pipes. I have 3, and I even visited him in his shop a few years ago. Grain is good and shapes are nice. Mine all smoke well. Only thing keeping me from buying more is I find the bits to be thicker than I prefer. That being said I'm sure I'll get another one at some point to see if there is any change.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

There have been a few Moretti discussions from time to time. I have one of Marco's freehand magnums that's a great smoker.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a dublin Moretti. Not a bad pipe at all.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've seen too many Morettis that are too influenced by the Italian aesthetic that large is better and clunky allowed. Castello follows both of these standards with more restraint, yet both also make many pipes that are saved from both. Morettis are often inexpensive, and as I mistake this for being cheap, I don't take the brand as seriously as I should.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The thomasw, love that dublin shape. Is it heavy, or would it make a good clencher? After hearing "clunky" I just wonder if I get one, is it going to be like clenching a crowbar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

A pic from a few years back. Moretti magnums take jaws of steel.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, Duane, I bet you could take a bite out of a car tire.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Nothing like Goodyear doughnuts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bradley makes it look easy; Duane, you look challenged.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that's, what happens when you try to clench an 8 ounce pipe without dentures in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So you were gumming it? That gets you extra credit!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yep. It had just arrived from Italy, and I was too excited to wait.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are brands of pipe I really enjoy that don't seem to get any follow-up after I mention them in Forums. I take it that people don't know of them, don't own them, or don't like them. Mostly I let it ride. One carver is just difficult to shop or buy, so it's kind of fun to own a true outlier. I think you've brought Moretti to our attention effectively. I bet you've even sold one, or several, with this post.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have purchased 9 of his pipes now but none of the magnums. His regular sized pipes tend to be light, typically 1.4 to 1.75 ounces. He makes a number of those magnum "nose warmers", definitely not my cup of tea. Here's a pic of the 3 most recent purchases:

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the shape and contrast on the bottom pipe, Hoos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bradley makes it look easy; Duane, you look challenged.

Everyone aboard the Black Frigate is challenged....

I like his take on the Dublin shape. I'll probably pay more attention now.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cosmic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The medium size lighter weight look more appealing to me, like something I'd smoke more often.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cdmjr

cdmjr

Login to Send PM

I just purchased a Moretti Morta Freehand on ebay. Immediately after I paid for it Marco Biagini sent an email telling me when the pipe will arrive(about 3 days via FedEx).

If his pipes are as great as his customer service I have much to look forward to. The bid started at .99 and I got it for $82.00. With over 29 other bidders to compete against, I'm not so sure Moretti Pipes are overlooked.

CDM Jr.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don’t worry, his pipes are as good as his service. I think they’re either overlooked or it’s just that most of the ebay crowd won’t pay fair pricing. His pipes are as good as other brands that cost double. I know when I was selling refurbs on eBay I decided the ebay buyers all wanted a deal to the point it wasn’t worth it. Whenever I’ve wanted anything on eBay I’ve made a fair price bid and won 95% of the time.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the pipe will arrive(about 3 days via FedEx).

Please (please) message me when you get the pipe and let me know if you had any trouble with FedEx and U.S. customs. Recently there have been major issues with FedEx importing tobacco products from Italy. I posted my own horror story recently. I hope all goes well for you and if it does I'd like to know. I group of us are tracking the FedEx issue from EU/Ital closely.

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  30. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

I was hoping Moretti would be just a tad more overlooked so I could nab a nice one a bit cheaper

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I was hoping Moretti would be just a tad more overlooked so I could nab a nice one a bit cheaper

Afraid not, many of us have had happy dealings with Marco.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. cdmjr

cdmjr

Login to Send PM

Just received the Moretti Morta Freehand Smooth. The quality of this pipe is second to none. Goes great with my G.L Pease Navigator. Highly recommend.

CDM Jr.

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just landed one of these beauty's!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  34. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its super lite and a hell of a smoker.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Well, took the plunge and nabbed a nice Magnum Chimney. Payday was on the 15th
    I blame Embers for making me want one so bad.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Thank you all and especially Hoosier for the original post. I saw this thread and checked out Moretti pipes I have wanted a Morta pipe for a while. Price is really good. Super stoked to be able to communicate with artist and pick out the pipe I wanted. What a nice guy Marco is. My tall billiard almost stack will be shipping tomorrow. Can’t wait. First artisan hand made and morta with a little personal touch from its maker. Pipes and pipe community is cool!

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

And here it is. I am so happy with it. Marco was a pleasure to do business with. My first inspection everything lines up beautifully. Finish is great. Most sriking is I typically only like pipes that are at least 6" long. I don't know why, it's just the way I see them. This one is 5.5" and was a bit worried. But, the carver knows his craft. The proportions are very pleasing and I don't have any complaints on the length (Yes, you can act like a 7th grader and say, "that's what she said" I know I would;-)

What to smoke for it's maiden voyage? Black Frigate? White Knight, Balkan Sasieni, Froggie, And So To Bed, or never tried Margate?

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me too - like I needed another pipe, yet this thread pulled me in and there was a package for me a few days later. Maiden voyage - Director's Cut

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  42. alsatmem

alsatmem

Login to Send PM

Can one of you guys confirm Moretti’s eBay Id as: bima1960. PM if this is not allowed please. It seems buying direct is definitely preferable.
    I have been looking for a great pipe for my 50th in a few weeks and like the designs.
    I was narrowed down to another something special from Stanwell, Castello, Savinelli or maybe a commission piece.
    At Moretti prices I may get several!
    I have commissioned a pipe cabinet that holds 35. I currently have 27. I’m too OCD to have empty spots for very long!
    Currently have about $500 to “invest”
    Thank you for the introduction!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  43. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@alsatmem, I commissioned a pipe from Marco and it was truly a highlight of my pipe collecting. HIs email is available through his website and he can be found directly through Facebook if you're on there

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 4 weeks ago #
  44. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Here's a shot of mine...thing is so big I may have to use 2 hands!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  45. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He is bima on eBay. One of the best values available.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  46. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

We have worked with Marco on some projects and haven't been disappointed in any aspect of our dealings.

Russ

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  47. alsatmem

alsatmem

Login to Send PM

Now that Russ O. has spoken, I must acquire a couple. Snow Drift and Pirate Cove will be first! Or maybe Nations Capital... Too many fine choices from P&C

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  48. jttnk

jttnk

Login to Send PM

Email Marco through his Site is probably easiest. Communication was great. Shipped immediately arrived in two days. First bowl was with Frog regular. Then Balkan Sasieni. Really liking the morta. It’s true about it’s quick cooling dry smoking properties. I will for sure seek a few more when able.

Good luck and enjoy.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  49. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

I really like the stains on some of the morta pipes. Beautiful.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  50. ak200p

ak200p

Login to Send PM

Mark is right on about Moretti pipes. Excellent quality, great value, and Marco is a pleasure to work with. I have several including a magnum. My morta is among my absolute favorite pipes.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper