PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Every group seems to develop it's own language?

Here in this forum we talk about "PAD" & "TAD", about "room notes" & "cellaring" instead of just writing "I like to buy pipes" "this tobacco smells good" or "I stock up on tobacco"

Every forum has a "sticky" with commonly used abbreviations.

Is it to create an aura of exclusitivity? To feel special? To impress others?
I owned a collection agency for many years & meeting clients across a broad spectrum of industries it struck me that every person , without exception, saw their problems as unique to their industry when in fact there was nothing at all unique about them.
I'm just wondering why we ( human beings) feel the need to do this & since pipe smokers, by stereotype anyway, are perceived as being more intelligent and thoughtful than non- pipe smokers, this seemed a good question to pose here.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For the same reason we use LOL and abbreviations, to save time and convey a message more easily. All language is indirect symbolism and often, an idea needs to be explained thoroughly to be accurately conveyed. After all, if I say rock I might be thinking of a boulder while you envision a pebble. How many times can you type Virginia with Perique before you start to wonder if there is an easier way. Vaper conveys that same thing but is much easier to type and read.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Because developing a lexicon within a social circle is part of the 'belonging nature' in man. We develop an identiy within the common dynamic of language, feeding our need as social creatures. My $.02

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Mostly because we're lazy? Or is it because we're efficient? Everyone likes abbreviations which is why acronyms are everywhere? Think about any close friend you have that has a more than one syllable name. Anyone have a friends name Christopher that you know of, that never gets called Chris?
I took this into account when naming my two boys. We originally were going to have their official name more than once syllable, but we going to call them by the shorter more well used one syllable name. I said..Let's just use the shorter name on the birth certificate as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I give points to writers and speakers who adhere to standard English whenever possible. A little insider

language arises in any group but soon becomes heavily cliched. What sounded really with-it last week

is a weary old bromide this week. "Back in the day." "We'll revisit that." Starting sentences with "So...."

"Like..." "No problem." Same with coined acronyms and insider slang. I sort of like PAD and TAD, my bad.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
In the communications works, it's called "high context," where a great deal of meaning is conveyed with a few words or abbreviations. Families often make use of this tool, as in our family, where the expression "fire truck" means: "you just said or did something very stupid." The opposite, low context, means that a full phrase, often accompanied by some explanation is required. (Damn! I knew those two doctorates would come in handy sometime!)

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
IDK, but FWIW I suggest PAD and TAD til the wheels fall off because IMHO, YOLO.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
since pipe smokers, by stereotype anyway, are perceived as being more intelligent and thoughtful than non- pipe smokers, this seemed a good question to pose here.
I'm a pipe smoker, which proves that stereotypes are rarely correct.
As for jargon, others have answered this quite well. Every field has specific vocabulary that can become quite cumbersome in the course of conversation. Abbreviations help to avoid that.
"I need an RCP" is faster than "I need a registered contact print." Plus it rolls more trippingly off the tongue.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have never given this much thought. Granted I tend not to use the TAD and PAD terms as it requires me to use my brain and remember what they mean but some very interesting questions have been raised here. I shall go and smoke a bowl and think about this in great detail.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Every field has specific vocabulary that can become quite cumbersome in the course of conversation. Abbreviations help to avoid that.
This. Ask any IT guy. Jargon makes communication easier within a designated group, while making it somewhat opaque to those not in the group, which sometimes allows for things like the infamous I-D-Ten-T error designation. :D

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I thought about this and have arrived at the following - please enjoy
The mindsets champion expediently facilitates a forward planning. A siloed system carefully prioritizes consistent issues.

The enabler generates a hyper-hybrid, right, process ahead of schedule. The team players facilitate structural, performance-based, requirements; this is why wide-ranging low hanging fruits inspire the clients from the get-go. Shareholder value, target and priority empower the profit-maximizing mindsets using our fairness. Controlling should manage our strategic core meetings by thinking outside of the box, while the standard-setters streamline our hyper-hybrid, balanced, big picture. The Chief Management Office Officer generates seamless, agile, action items. As a result, our top-level mission standardizes high-quality evolutions.

The enablers integrate cascading, nimble, portals.

The enabler prioritizes consumer-facing insights, while an operating strategy leverages our outside-in excellence. Ecosystems incentivise the Chief Customer Relations Officer, while the resource institutionalizes the objective. The enablers technically innovate our solid and targeted potentials. Culture and idiosyncrasy foster carefully thought-out paradigms.

Our gut-feeling is that our talent carefully influences the business leaders. We've got to focus on vertical Management Information Systems going forward. The key people accelerate a big picture. In the same time, paradigms swiftly prioritize our organizational, intelligent, outsourced and high-performing learnings. The clients reach out a systematized delivery framework, whereas our credibility synergizes our risk/return profile.

The thought leader embraces organic projections, while a collaboration strengthens the customer centricity champion.

The paradigm champion 200% facilitates a core best practice. The team players avoid the weaknesses at the individual, team and organizational level.

Our organic growth prioritizes market-changing trends. The clients establish a replacement credibility. A flexible value proposition 24/7 incentivises the Chief Business Operations Officer, while time-phased value propositions motivate the enabler. The sales manager seamlessly incentivizes client needs. Targeted efficient frontiers consistently enable the standard-setters. Strategic staircases genuinely transfer the business leaders, as a Tier 1 company, whilst our high-powered self-awareness strengthens the well-implemented and genuine action item. The project manager accelerates our corporate low hanging fruit throughout the organization; nevertheless challenging dialogues motivate the group. Goal-directed shareholder values promote the Chief Customer Relations Officer within the matrix, while the Chief Client Relationship Officer cautiously pre-prepares our informed roadmaps. Our gut-feeling is that the resource adequately visualizes improved delivery frameworks. Our future-oriented delivery frameworks incentivise the powerful champion on-the-fly.

The market environment empowers the sales manager.

Our granular skills transfer an accurate synergy. As a result, the Chief Visionary Officer conservatively fleshes out a win-win solution. A growing bottom line technically incentivises the key people, while the stakeholders empower our interconnected enhanced data captures, as a Tier 1 company. The customers take a bite out of a goal-directed channel. Our gut-feeling is that we continue to work tirelessly and diligently to enforce an architecture.

The vertical targets generate inspiring, results-centric and goal-oriented workflows, while the generic technologies synergize the Chief Internal Audit Officer, relative to our peers.

The present-day and innovation-driven concept standardizes value propositions going forward. The team players strategically optimize a best-in-class, leveraged, cross-enterprise and in-depth market practice. The resource fosters a collaborative, consumer-facing, end-to-end and underlying ecosystem.

The Chief IT Strategy Officer influences risk appetites, whereas a prospective resiliency genuinely enforces a breakout efficiency gain. An one-to-one sign-off drives a motivational transformation process. The community transitions a forward planning within the silo. The human resources 200% address the barriers. The President of Operations develops the blue print for execution. Systems transfer superior requests / solutions.

Long-established industries empower the key people.

We continue to work tirelessly and diligently to culturally broaden improved alternatives across the spheres. Lessons learned prioritize the gatekeeper.

The calibration synergizes the gatekeeper in the marketplace.

The key people right-size our key case studies. Collaborations synergize our balanced, siloed, self-efficacy. The key people envision strategy-focused, bottom-up, top and improved attitudes, while the resources conservatively leverage trusted, established, forward plannings. The resources whiteboard our end-to-end targets, while the enabler synergizes skills.

Established, differentiating, compliant and accepted synergies significantly synergize our productive and/or overarching knowledge transfer.

The sales manager avoids unfavorable developments. Market-altering potentials result in policies; this is why the supply-chain champion enables fact-based platforms.

The human resources generate our future-ready, unique, dotted lines, while the structural visions transfer the team players.

Future-ready value propositions generate our brand identity as a consequence of upper single-digit growth, whereas the resources engineer a white paper ahead of schedule.

The clients organically build win-win solutions.

Success factors enable the thought leader across the matrices. The partners empower a sales target, whilst the stakeholders mitigate our weaknesses. Low-risk high-yield footprints promote the resources, whilst the lever strengthens the customers.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
LOL ... this just came over the intercom at work:
WE NEED THE ABG ON THE CODE BLUE ASAP!!
Response:
I'M TRYING TO GET THE QC WITHIN 2SD!! THE CBC AND CMP ARE ALREADY VBT!!
Healthcare and Military are both notorious for acronyms.

Status
Not open for further replies.