Why is Everyone Trying to Change Me! (RANT)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Today I went into the store to get a new cell phone (mine broke). And I spent 25 minutes trying to make this guy understand that I do not want to realign the plan[e]ts with it. I want a phone that actually calls/texts people. I dont facebook,twitter,bank,watch movies, or really anything else. But he kept pushing saying that I have to get out of the stone age.
Go to work and the younger crowd calls me the old man, cause I smoke a pipe and tell me how bad it is for me. While they are looking for the next pot march to go to.
I just turned 40, like smoking my pipe, love PBR and Miller, know how to get somewhere without GPS, open doors for women, can shoot a dime at 40 yards, kiss my sons boo-boo, tell my wife I love her, actually know who Stonewall Jackson was, know when the war of 1812 was!!!!, and think John Wayne is still cool!
I just wish all these people would stop trying to change me!!

Aug 14, 2012
Well said. People don't understand why I don't text, get phone messages or have apps. Don't want to get sucked into that pile of muck.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Dr. Watson, I think we're twins separated at birth. I'm 40 and have most of the same complaints. My response to the cell phone problem, though, is not to own one. That cuts down on the bother a bit.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Considering the exponential rate of technological change, and change in general, the people who are currently into all of the “smart phone” stuff, etc., will feel the same way in the near future.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Makes you wonder where we're going as a country, don't it? Welcome to the age of moral relativism, and political correctness. I call it the age of grey, where all absolutes have been relegated as extreme viewpoints, and the proper course is to blindly embrace the future without consideration for the past. An apologists idea of utopia.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There's an awful lot of people who know how to lead my life.

I've been comfortably retired since age 55, and most of them don't have a pot to piss in.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Doc, you made an observation I have been noticing for a while now.
Go to work and the younger crowd calls me the old man, cause I smoke a pipe and tell me how bad it is for me. While they are looking for the next pot march to go to.
As part of this younger generation I see that hypocrisy all the time.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
DrWatson - just wait till you're in your 60's. It gets worse. I'm called Gramps by snot nosed kids that can't wipe their own butt. I call them Sexual Intellectuals (F***** no-it-alls). They're too stupid to even know it's not a compliment. This is what happens when society falls apart.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Damn, I get called an old man for smoking a pipe and drinking my whiskey neat, and I'm not even 30 yet hahaha.

Sounds like you had a kid who was more interested in hitting a sales quota then actually providing customer service. I fully grasp your frustrations!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Look I'm only 27 but I totally get you and respect that entirely. I have an iPhone but hate texting. I love social interaction it better in so many ways. I smoke my pipe and my friends tell me I shouldn't while they smoke pot, cigs, hookah and drink there livers dead it drives me crazy. Most people my age nowadays couldn't hold a conversation in person let alone start one. I was always the kid with the older friends I enjoyed a more mature crowd then the folks my own age. I guess that's why out of my friends I'm the first to get a real job, get a real woman, marry her and buy a house. Ok so I just piggy backed your rant even though I don't fully fit the profile I still fully understand it and respect it.
And a dime at 40 yards is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.