PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Looking at multiple places the absolute cheapest for a 50g tin is still $16 and some change. Why is this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because they can. That's the free market. If you can get $16, and sales stay brisk, that's your price. If sales slack off, the price goes down.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's were the dart landed.
:rofl:
If you've ever actually worked for a major corporation, you know that's closer to the mark than the Econ 101 stuff people take as gospel. Almost as important as darts, of course, are the egos of c-level execs. If Ludvig Bigshot decided 16 bucks was the price to go with, it might be a long time before he admits this was a mistake or anyone dares tell him.
Not my 16 bucks, either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If Ludvig owns the outift, or has the board's ear, he gets to name a price. But if too many of his prices are wrong, either he gets canned, or docked, or the firm goes under. But yes, many Ludvig's make many miscalculated decisions for decades ongoing with no accountability, not even by the accountant. Never underestimate the prevalence of damn foolishness, this is true. The dartboard would probably make better choices sometimes, if only we could get Ludvig off this swivel chair to shoot a few darts.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I know someone who has smoked 3 Nuns exclusively for the last 40+ years. He knows it's not even remotely the same blend as it once was, and that there are other fine VA-Per blends that are much closer to the taste of the original 3 Nuns, and cheaper than the current one. Still he continues to smoke it exclusively. With that kind of blind, irrational loyalty, it doesn't surprise me they price gouge.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Good points, all.
Almost as important as darts, of course, are the egos of c-level execs.

I have found this one to be very true the more I work with c-level executives.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I know someone who has smoked 3 Nuns exclusively for the last 40+ years. He knows it's not even remotely the same blend as it once was, and that there are other fine VA-Per blends that are much closer to the taste of the original 3 Nuns, and cheaper than the current one. Still he continues to smoke it exclusively. With that kind of blind, irrational loyalty, it doesn't surprise me they price gouge.
^^^This says it all.
"Welcome to the land of flame and fizz...where you will learn that packaging is all that heaven is." -- Don Henley

May 31, 2012
They ain't gonna get my sixteen dollars either,

the bastards!
I think the price point is ridiculous, absurd, and infuriating.
An even worse offender is Salty Dogs,

wuddup wi dat?
:evil:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
All Macbaren products went through the same price increase, about 5$ per 50 gram tin. 3 nuns was around 11$ before the price jump, luckily I got some tins when it was on sale for 8$.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I was going to ask this exact question! When i saw it, i couldn't remember when I posted it.

In any case, the answers here are as I suspected.
Sydney Frank, who invented Grey Goose vodka, was asked what is the difference between premium and ultra premium vodka? His answer was: you can make $10 extra per bottle. He eventually sold Grey Goose to Seagrams for $2B.

Status
Not open for further replies.