PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Many of my favorite Tobacconists, like Gus' and Copley's, have long since departed and not too many are still around here in LaLa land. But one of my haunts, The Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks, is still going under new management after nearly closing last year. I decided to pay a visit as it had been awhile, and to my joy, the previous owner Larry Wagner, was in the shop, marketing some cigar lines that he now represents as well as representing Ser Jacopo. He gave me a very warm welcome and introduced me to some of his other old time clients who had stopped in the shop to see him.
One of these gents was a collector of Charatan, with almost 200 in his collection, going back to the 1920's and who also was sitting on what I was told were several shelves of Balkan Sobranie in the 4 OZ tins that he started cellaring in the 1960's. When I told him what people were paying for that stuff on eBay his eyes widened and he smiled, then said "Good to know that people are crazy". He then told me that a number of his tins still bore the price tag of $2.67. (He's not selling any. He likes to smoke it.) We talked about Charatan, its history, about Herman Lane, about other makes, including Upshall and Ashton, tobaccos and other such pleasant topics.
Larry asked me to look at and evaluate a seven day set of unsmoked Barlng Brigadiers, as well as GBD Uniques, and some other rare pipes that he was going to place in the store. It was all great fun, and a nice break from the rat race. I also found a few tins of old stock, including a 20 year old tin of McClelland Bombay Extra, that I picked up for a very reasonable price.
You can't get that from an online store.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm so glad that these B&M experiences are available to at least a few.
If I had a good one, with focus on pipes at least as much as cigars, I would be all over it.
Congrats on that Bombay Extra ... sounds delicious!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
And the myth of the Balkan Sobranie grows...
Also, I did get a pre-relaunch Capstan Blue from my B&M.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jesse, it sounds great! I bet it was a blast talking Charatan's with the gentleman there!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I had an outstanding time. The Charatan gent and I also discussed cigars. He has, by his estimation, about 1000 in his humidor. I had mentioned that Flor de Cano was possibly the best Cuban I had ever smoked and he knew exactly which shape I was referring to, the Rothschild. The guy obviously has means for his toys, and knows what the good toys are.

I'll be meeting up with Larry again in the near future as he wants me to evaluate a pipe collection that the new owner bought. That should be fun, and informative.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing the story. I am blown away by this forum and my new hobby,Pipes & Pipe Tobacco.

Information, experiences, philosophies, goodies, and camaraderie. My life has changed for the better in recent weeks in large part because of my new 'obsession'.

I found The Briary after smoking a pipe for about a year. I had visited another B&M closer to me, but the owner was a a very old cowboy type that seemed more into cigars and cowboy regalia, of which I used to be a re-enactor. So, I tried to forgive his lack of pipe knowledge. Then I found The Briary, They sell cigars too, but The Briary has a huge showroom floor dedicated to artisan pipes, very few factory-mades. Plus, they have a wall of tins from floor to ceiling, with boxes and boxes of bulk in the humidor room.
I was a little intimidated at first with a lounge full of men smoking their pipes and cigars, and obvious regulars trading their pipes up for $1000 purchases and just buying tins and tossing them on the tables for everyone else to try. I was afraid that some of these guys would notice my "style" of piping as that of a newbie, so I was a little intimidated. But, the owner quickly made me feel to be a part of the furniture, and I quickly started to feel like I "belonged" there.
I've been able to try tons of different blends and brands. Plus, when it's slow, he'll let me scrounge around in the boxes of old tins that no longer merited wall space, or for whatever reason got tucked way. Also, it is the sort of place, where visiting or local celebrities will drop in. And, hosts some of the most interesting people I could imagine, lifelong smokers, pipe enthusiasts, pipe makers, hard core collectors, doctors, lawyers, artists, writers, construction workers, politicians (right and left), and just guys and girls wanting to see what this artisan pipe thing is all about. There is also a room with displays of old historical pipes dating back to a time when men adorned their pipes with feathers and beads, ha ha. and old clays, meers, very old pipes.
Here in this part of the world, pipes are still seen out and about. I don't feel like the only guy for miles smoking a pipe as some have stated here. I can see pipes in cars, out walking, setting on their porches, restaurants, etc... And, it may be in large because of this place. Sure, the tobacco is a tad bit more than buying from online warehouses. And, when I buy bulk to set back in the cellar, I buy online. But, I buy boxes of tins from them, because the price is only a few dollars more, and I feel like this place is worth supporting. I will also go through them to get most of my artisan made pipes.
I do feel a bit of guilt buying anything online now. But, I do try to go through The Briary for most of my pipe needs. I understand if others live somewhere that doesn't have retail or they hate the retailers, but I know that because we have a place like this, pipes will remain an integral part of our culture. Because of this place and the support that we all place in this place, I can set at a restaurant with my pipe and meet new pipers every time I go out and invite them to my table to smoke. I can be setting at the stoplight with my pipe, when the guy next to me holds up a tin of whatever he's smoking to show me that he is a pipe guy too. I can catch the whiff of a cherry aromatic while walking my dog at the park and know that there's another pipe somewhere close by. I'm not alone. I can go to a pipe club meeting where we have to bring extra chairs to fill the place with members.
I love my B&M. I don't drink alcohol, so I'm not comfortable in bars. So, The Briary is a place where I can go after work (or take a break from work) and go talk about pipes and tobaccos with guys who I probably wouldn't have much else to talk about. It's like this place, except you can see their faces because they aren't hiding behind pictures of dogs or cartoon characters. And, I an patronize their businesses, because I know them from the lounge. Heck, I met a guy who repaired my air conditioner there for a great price.
Every town needs a Briary, not some cheap ass set of factory made pipes and cheap ass tobaccos marketed to the poorest common denominator, but a place with artisan made pipes and a wall of quality tobaccos. Sure, they all have to have cigars, but at least at the Briary, the cigars are just one small room. If you have a quality pipe shop, they will come. And, maybe you guys won't always feel so isolated in your pipe hobby. :puffy:

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Sable and cosmic
Great stories and I agree that if one were to find a tobacco establshment or a bar that somehow got past the new draconian rules and allowed smoking, I would recommend patronizing that place because most likely, their days are numbered.
I have my calendar marked for the second Tuesday of each month for the NYC pipe club meeting where at least twenty or so fellow enthusiasts get together to share rare tins, unusual finds in pipes ( whether artisan or ancient estates ) and exchange happenings in the pipe world
It is one of the highlights of the month for me.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Count your blessings. I have only found one real tobacconist in my entire state, and their selection is not great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gotta support these places or they can't last. The pressure from online is just too strong. I don't do enough

to support my great little down-home pipe shop, with wide plank floors and dart boards to boot, an ample

selection of tins and bulk, and a good wall of pipes. I think I have five or six pipes I bought there, some going

back to their opening in the seventies.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
ae1pt, try Smoker's Haven in West Seneca, NY, near Buffalo. Brian, owner and pipe maker, is informed and friendly.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
The second thread I ever started on this forum was about my an eye-opening trip to my local B&M. Georgetown Tobacco Is such a great store, and their house blends have to be some of the best in the country - not a bad estate collection either. Of course they have an extensive cigar collection, but you still get the feeling that the store is really for the pipes and the cigars are just there to make money.
Plus, they have several good pipe guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.