PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a lighter someone gave me as a gift, but I still nearly always use matches. Zippos and

other lighters are wonderful objects, nice in the hand and cleverly designed and kind of

delicious with their chrome cases, etc. I just feel more control with a match. Sure they are

annoying, sometimes not striking properly. Then you have to dispose of the used match,

and they add an additional dimension of fire hazard since they aren't always out when you

think they are, or a live end breaks off and goes glowing to the carpet, etc. I don't like the

smell of lighter fluid confounding the scent of the tobacco. I don't like the sometimes

excess flame of a lighter and the hazard it poses to the finish of the pipe, or the inside of

the bowl if it is really too intense. And I like the historical quality of a match, very Nineteenth

Century, or earlier. I like the sound of a striking match. I like the delicacy and control of

a match flame. I just can't break the habit.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 MSO
The flame is softer and more easily controlled.
Also, I usually have a candle going nearby which allows relights of match sticks.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I forgot to refill my zippo last week before a field op and I ended up using the matches from an MRE. I really like that the matches don't burn the tobacco as hot as a lighter would. It allows for that "sweet spot" to come out much earlier in the smoke. I'm sold!

I love matches too. I sometimes find myself musing to myself about how the pipe keeps us close to the magic of fire, that power that elevated us above being a bunch of animals hanging out in trees. Rubbing sticks together, the awe of lightning storms, smacking different types of rocks together... Fire gave us tools, metals, food, warmth, fabrication, fire makes the engine run, fuels our iPhones, computers, etc... That smell as the match gets scratched to a sizzling life of light and heat. I love matches. But, I also smoke great deal in the windy outdoors, so my Zippo is usually close at hand.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
struck the match towards himself, and the flaming head of the match welded onto the head of his...
Like with knives ... always away from the body!
Hope he didn't cauterize his one good eye closed! 8O

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
@TrailBoss, come on man, I'm at work and it's unseemly to laugh out loud at this.... :)
On topic, I've recently discovered matches and I like them better for all the reasons stated. I seem not to be able to get a good relight far down into the bowl, however, so I keep a soft-flame lighter around too.

Status
Not open for further replies.