PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I want to start by appologizing to those of you waiting for me to post my recipe for toasted Stokkebye Flakes. I have changed jobs in the last month and the transition hasn't been the easiest. I went from a fork lift driver 40hrs a week to meat production (sausages, hams, bacon, varuoius cuts of smoked meats) 60+hrs a week. I've been dragging my ass for last two weeks and finally getting used to the long hours and heavier fast paced work. This is what I've wanted to do for quite a long time and now I finally get my oppertunity. I'm very happy to be done with my former employer as my stress level went from extreme to nil. I try to log on when I can but that proves more of a challenge some days than others.
Here is how I toast my flakes: Oven to 180F, put flakes in a Mason Jar like you would for cellaring, place the snap lid on the jar but not the ring. Place in oven and bake for 3-6hrs or until your desired taste is met. The last time I baked flakes I did 180F for 7hrs and they were very toasty and turned a nice dark colour and gave it a fantastic nutty flavour as well. I did speak with Rich from 4noggins and he suggested trying 180F for 180mins. I did this method and found it didn't give me what I wanted in flavours but this might be right for you. Try it out with a few flakes in different jars and take them out at different intervals to see where your flavours at with the different baking times. I really enjoy toasted flakes now and I don't smoke them now unless they've been baked. I can honestly say since I figured out how to smoke flakes and cube cuts properly I am enjoying my pipes and tobacco more and more with each bowl.
Toast up some of your favorite flakes and see what you get, you just might be surprised as to what you can create and discover new tastes. :puffy:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
As someone who produces "sausages, hams, bacon, varuoius [sic] cuts of smoked meats" for 60 hours a week, I am inclined to accept your expertize.
Congratulations on your advancement to "...what I've wanted to do for quite a long time..." and assume the extra 20 hours of work a week has its positive reasons.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm pretty sure my stress level will remain nil. The extea 20hrs a week is a bonus as well as anything I want from the cooler. I'll make another thread and post a few pics when I get the chance to take a few

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Congratulations on your new job. Plus anything you want from the cooler? Now there's a perk. I'd put bacon on everything!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks again all! I've taken some pics and I will post them either tomorrow or saturday. I know theres gonna be a lot of drooling lol

Status
Not open for further replies.