PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
For me pipe smoking is rooted in nostalgia. The image in my own mind is very important. When it comes to cobs, I can't get past the image of Mammy Yochum and banjo players from incest friendly backwoods. A classic briar, be it bent or straight, rusticated or smooth brings to mind intellectual thinkers or avuncular seniors. I like a simple clay that reminds me of sailors on square-rigged ships from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Nope . . . I'm sorry. A cob will never be part of my repertoire.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
The only cob I will ever smoke is my Jack Hackert cob with a antler stem... It smokes wonders!!

I have tried other cobs and there just not for me.

If others enjoy them, good for you!!

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
My MM cob has the best draw of ALL my pipes. Even though I don't smoke it except on the rare occassion, I think its a great pipe.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
So you're more concerned with how you appear to others than your own pleasure? Sounds like you're in it for the wrong reasons.
The real lithmus test for a person making a statement like yours...how would you treat a person who DOES smoke a cob?

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I tend to think the same as jayh. I smoke for my own pleasure and could not care less about other people's impressions. I do not smoke cobs all that often these days but do enjoy them when I do. Great smokers.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I love my cobs. Probably smoke one of the several I have several days a week. I always have one in my truck. Years ago I may have turned up my nose to them, but I enjoy them sometimes better than my higher end briars. Kinda like dating a trampy woman, alot of fun, sometimes it just tickles your fancy and who cares what someone thinks. :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
antipodesman makes a good point: at some level nearly all we do is freighted with meaning and a message

we wish to convey; and I think we can all agree that to some extent cobs project a homely image. I think even

cob-smoking men of genius like Twain and MacArthur were channeling their inner rustic. If the images that pipes

convey were completely irrelevant I think there would be far fewer pipe shapes, and the surviving variations

would merely reflect functional practicalities.
Since I do nearly all of my pipe smoking in private I have little concern for the "message" I may be sending;

but like antipodesman, I do identify with my pipes and the images they evoke, and that informs my choices.

This sense of identification is probably true for everyone, and the disparagement of our pipe choices becomes a

personal affront.
Although I'm notorious in these precincts for deprecating cobs, my beef with them is merely the slight off-taste

of corn which I find more distracting than unwanted tobacco ghosts. I find the chintzy plastic stems uncomfortable;

and I can do without the flavor of burning pine at the bottom of the bowl during "break-in".

Other than that I'm fine with cobs :rofl: If ya like 'em, smoke 'em. :)

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Mammy Yochum and banjo players from incest friendly backwoods.
I'm so ashamed,.....I happen to enjoy smoking a cob and I wear overalls too.

And woo-hoo, you oughta see my hot cousin!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
God awful stems and gobs of glue , no thank you . Terrible tactile feel of the cob itself . I suppose it has it merits , what else would we do with left over cobs with the invention of toilet paper and all . :rofl:

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I like cobs for driving to work in the morning. I can leave them in the car all day, and not care about it being 130 degrees, or the sun beating down on them. For less than $10 they are hard to beat, and I have yet to hear one gurgle.
Like most others I don't like the stems either. I am thinking about getting some replacement stems from:

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/cobs___stems.html

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
i own some beautiful briars, gorgeous meers, clays, and McQueens. They all smoke well, either according to general genre, or, in the case of one or two of my most finicky briars, a single blend. But... there's something peaceful and simple about PA in a cob that I just can't beat at times. I enjoy my cobs, too. So, I guess I'm saying, enjoy your image, but enjoy what you smoke, more. Briar, cob, moon rock, wherever you find your best smoke.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Didn't mean to disparage someone's pipe. I'd take offense too if my pipes had been insulted. Apologies to MacArthur and Mark Twain and all lovers of cobs. It's just how I feel about cobs. It's not rational. It has nothing to do with what others think . . . or does it. Who knows.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I really wanted to say "I refuse to smoke clay pipes because of the image of them being smoked by Drunken Sailors buggering Cabin-boys on wooden ships in the 18th and 19th centuries...." But I suppose I'll keep that comment to myself, since you went and apologized :mrgreen:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm staying out of this one :D. I'll just say that I don't own any cobs although I used to have one and it smoked pretty well.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I prefer briars but do smoke a cob now and then as well. I even have been known to smoke a meer while wearing my bib overalls.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I enjoy cobs, I enjoy Briar, not to fond of Meerschaum, never tried a clay. For me my Briars are for relaxing and cobs are for working. Where I would never feel ok about destroying a cob, if it happened to get under the mower or feel in a bucket of paint, hell insert any mishap here. I would be unhappy but would only be out a few bucks. Now drop a Nording or Peterson under the Mower and I would be crying for the money lost into bits.
If I am seen with a cob and I am perceived as a backwoods hick, well get me my Banjo. I have given up on people now a days anyway, so the more that stay away from me the better in my eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.