Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Why Don't You Smoke Meerschaums?

(103 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most Forums members seem to own and smoke at least a few Meerschaums, and some smoke them almost exclusively. Others may own them but don't smoke them, and others don't own them at all. I don't own any, and maybe I'll explain further down the thread, if there's some interest here. But if you don't own or smoke Meerschaum, why not? And if not, what do you own and smoke, mostly? At the outset, let me say I admire Meerschaum pipes and respect those who smoke them; I'm not anti-Meer. So what's your non-Meerschaum explanation? (Or praise 'em and explain why they're excellent.)

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have meers and smoke them but they are all aged already broken in pipes. I find that new fresh meerschaum has a soapy taste that I don't really like. Still I want a fresh one because they are so beautiful and I like the coloring process. The dilemmas of smoking.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy the aroma of warmed briar, and what it adds to the blend. That is the pipey smell that I look for in a smoke. Plus, when I smoke, I may bang a pipe on something from time to time, empty it by banging it on the heal of my boot. Briar just takes more of a beating than a piece of soft rock.

I love the looks of a meer, and the way they color up, but they seem awful fragile. I've had one, but it broke rather quickly. I may get another one day, to smoke while surrounded by pillows and wearing soft gloves. But, I am in no hurry. They are cheaper than most pipes, so it would be nice to have at least one in the collection.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find that new fresh meerschaum has a soapy taste that I don't really like.

I agree with you Shaintiques, but as the break in, I really enjoy the clean flavor that you don't get from a briar sort of like a good clay tavern.
    I bought this Tekin (with the help of Meerqueen) which he carved fresh for me, and I do love it. I especially like how light it is for clenching.
    Also being able to smoke without resting has it's perks. I need an updated pic as it has colored nicely.

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I acquired some clays really inexpensively and really only enjoy them as taster pipes for new tobacco and the occasional historical sentiment. I have no problem with meer, I just don't own one. I love briar so much that when I have pipe money, I tend to buy another briar pipe. I do have a raw block of meer that I may carve one day. I'd be interested in trying a meer, but the seeming fragile nature and price push me back to briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I have 3 meers. The one I smoke almost exclusively these days was a Christmas gift from my dad, over 50 yrs. ago. It has colored so slowly that I don't want to devote any smoking time to the other meers and not see any of them fill in with color. Hopefully, this one will fill in before I see my dad again.

I hold little hope of ever seeing this figural color in.

As for the taste differences between meers and briars, the latter seem to have more character -- often a pleasant musty quality compared to meers -- but the meers are entirely satisfactory. Like Cosmic, I'm constantly aware that the meers are more fragile; and more than once I've considered what a tragedy it would be if, after all these years of patient coloring, the meer slipped from my old, arthritic hands, and shattered.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're going to pay a similar amount for a quality Meer that you do for a quality briar. I think briar smokes better. The Meer gets hotter to the touch. And the Meer is fragile. I would not be happy if I dropped a $300 Meer and looked down to see it in a dozen pieces.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had two of them in my past , one of which was a real curb Calebass, both performed nicely but somehow the smoke itself tasted ,yes dry and cool,but at the same time it felt kinda weak, perhaps I oughta have stronger tobacco in them.One day I will get a new one once again,yet I'm a bit apprehensive in regards to standard mediocre looking stems on Turkish made Meerschaums.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke one simply because I don't have one at the present and short of a gift shop meer I picked up in Turkey as a child, I have never owned one. I have been meaning to get around to getting one since I took up the pipe but it kept getting knocked down my list for whatever reason. It's firmly the next acquisition on my pipe list though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I have two meers and one calabash that is a meer bowl insert. One meer is shaped like a sailor face and the other is a flower that looks like a tulip maybe. The carved face feels odd in the hand and how a pipe feels in the hand is important to me. The tulip isn't as bad and actually feels fairly comfortable in the hand. They smoke ok but I really don't like the delicacy of them. I smoke the calabash more than the other two meers combined. I really like the way it smokes. Meerschaums are handy if you really want to taste the tobacco without the chance of ghosting and just getting a more true flavor. But in the end I just love briar. I love the feel in the hand and I love a nice grain.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

Meerschaums...ahhhh..the lovely carved meerschaums...

I don't smoke them. Ever. I have had three over the years. They were lovely and smoked well, but, they are just not sturdy enough. I broke all three withing a few smokes and realized that I am just too rough on my pipes to be a successful meerschaum guy.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love mine. I have one I smoke about once a week. Others about once a month. I do smoke some blends exclusively in them. No ghosting.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

Just have not found one that really says yep I think I'll buy that one. I'll probably get about two or three and have a glass case made for them but right now still searching.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meerschaums are handy if you really want to taste the tobacco without the chance of ghosting

I often wonder how true this really is. I have encountered tobaccos that I feel certain would out-ghost a crematoriums furnace. It's is going to be the very first thing I test when I get one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO you've piqued my interest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I need to smoke mine more. No reason not to...

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

Poverty, mainly.
    Half-kidding aside, I do have one pressed meerschaum pipe and it isn't a bad smoker. Being that a solid block should give a superior experience I plan to get a proper one in the near future.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

I do smoke meerschaums, Missouri Meerschaums. I am a low maintenance guy, I guess. I love clays and hardly smoke them anymore. I've gotten used to a pipe I can stick in my back pocket while doing yard work.

My most used briar right now is one I put together from the best parts in a bin of trashed briars. I have an I-phone one and don't care *too* much if I drop it. I've got expensive knives and carry budget knives.

I like more expensive stuff at home, but stuff I carry around is usually inexpensive value. I don't want to sweat it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

mithrandir

Login to Send PM

I just have one it is a great smoker but It stays in the house because I'm afraid of breaking it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my meets, but don't smoke them as often as my briars.

And taken within two minutes of the first one:

Anyone guess as to why they're different? (Damn, rotation not my idea. They show right side up on my desktop. And the aspect ratio has been messed with, so they are stretched a bit on one direction. (or compressed on the other!) (Ugh.)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same. Love meers, but smoke briars more. For me, I think there is the idea of them being a bit more fragile, and I am clumsy, so it detracts just a skosh from the stress reduction of smoking a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

Bought a new gourd calabash of highest quality 30 years ago but only smoked it occasionnaly 'for fun', since it felt like too much cool air, like smoking cigarettes through a very long cigarette holder tube, if you imagine what I mean. But fortunately I still have it and later found out that especially some english blends are very enjoyable and not just 'fun'.
    I have since also bought some meerschaums of various names, such as Bauer, Koncak and Manx but I felt that the 'design' and amber/lucite stems were not up to par with similarly priced briars; too fat and I better like ebonite. Somehow I have also come to enjoy the taste from quality briar more. So all in all, I am still trying to learn to appreciate meerschaums and will smoke them again this year, when the temperatures are getting above zero outside, since I no longer smoke indoors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently bought my first quality Meer which is an IMP. The first blend I smoked in it was some 2007 Stonehaven. I picked that blend because I am so familiar with it. My first impression was that the flavors in the Meer was thin somehow. I have 2 pipes dedicated to that Stonehaven and both had more richness and fuller flavors than the Meer had.

Another blend I tried was Butera Dark Stoved and that tasted fine. I think the more I try different blends the more I will get used to the Meer. One thing I do know for sure is that the pipe doesn't smoke as cool as my briars which all have about a dimes worth of cake in them. I rarely ever have to put my pipe down to cool it, but with the Meer it was noticeable.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

tom12

Login to Send PM

Cost mainly, I will at some point get a meer bowl for my falcon pipe but I need to do some research on whether they are made out of a whole block.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny, I have always seen meers as being cheap (or at least affordable) pipes, much cheaper than the nice briars. I was in a pipe shop when I heard a guy telling his wife that Meerschaums were the most expensive pipes ever... while being an arm's reach away from the Formers, Eltangs, and Beckers. I guess it just depends on what part of the pasture your standing in as to where you see the greener grass.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

tom12

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't spend more than around £50 - £70 for a briar but that's just me, so if I can get the effect of a meerschaum for £29.99 then I'm all for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have an IMP and AKB that are mostly for days off. The bowls are over 2 inches deep and I prefer to smoke them when I have enough time to devote to them. I've taken them to work many times, but they are just too much pipe for break times.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

My first impression was that the flavors in the Meer was thin somehow.

This will improve once the pipe becomes saturated with tobacco oils.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a very simple old Peterson Meer that I really like. Dublin shape. All dank looking and amber. Luv

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

I have two estate meers and they both smoke too hot to the touch so I have to hold them by the shanks. I have a porcelain calabash with an unglazed chamber that smokes cooler, but I prefer to let them sit looking pretty on a shelf and smoke my briars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

80% of the time it's a meer for me, 15% a MM Cob and 5% a briar. I tend to smoke plug/rope tobacco more than anything else and to me it tastes better in a meer...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just picked up this IMP beauty but have not had a chance to smoke it just yet

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

i occasionally smoke a Kiko meer from Tanganyika. It's actually a meer lined leather covered briar. It was handed down from my grandfather to my father to me, UNSMOKED! So I just had to give it a try. I also just finished cleaning up a solid block Jambo, an African meer, and will be firing it up in the next few days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a long time I didn't buy one for fear that my clumsiness would finish it after a short use. Now that I am less clumsy I haven't gotten one because there are so many briar pipes that slide in front. One of these days. . .but I'm very happy smoking briar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Upnorth- Photos of those treasures would be greatly appreicate!

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

The site's album is also a good choice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

I'll try to post pics soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one of them push/screw tenon pieces, and I am not liking the smoking experience. I will give meerschaum another chance as this summer I am on a quest to find a good meer in turkey. Quite frankly, I appreciate the art work on meerschaum, but if I were to be honest with myself, I do enjoy my tobacco on the moist side. So probably that's why I own only one churchwarden, and only one meerschaum. I own about three cobs, but don't smoke them on a daily basis.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

This thread has made me think. I had forgotten how different some blends taste in different pipes. If you have something you are less than enthusiastic about in a cob, it is quite possible it will taste good in a briar, or a clay. I should probably look at meerschaums to give yet another option.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. rajangan

rajangan

Login to Send PM

I love meerschaum. I smoke it at home more often than briar. I rarely take them out. I figure if you didn't smoke in your own house, you might not want to pull the meerschaum out at all. I smoke briar at work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I absolutely love meerschaum pipes. Over the past 2+ years I went from owning 2 meerschaum pipes; to currently having 15, with another two on the way (a gourd calabash with meerschaum bowl, and an H. Cor Hawkbill). Over the last 2+ years I went from smoking them about 10% of the time to the 90% of the time. I love the look, the feel, the way the pipes smoke cool and dry and the taste of the tobacco during the smoke. For me it doesn't get better than a meerschaum pipe.

For those that believe they're to fragile; I smoke mine outside, on the go, and I travel with them. I handle them like any other pipe, and don't have any issues. Yes, if you drop it on the hard ground it will most likely break, but if you drop a briar pipe on the ground it can also be damaged. Chances are it won't be in pieces though. The figural pipes are going to be a bit more delicate depending on the carving, but the classic shape pipes are pretty solid. As for durable, when it comes to smoking them they're more durable than briars in my opinion. I can smoke my meers all day long every day of the week without issue, but I can't say the same for my briars.

It all comes down to preference, and they're not for everyone but I think they offer the best pipe smoking experience. With that said, the month of March is March Meerschaum Madness. Its a chance for those that rarely pull their meerschaums off the rack to smoke them more and really experience the pipe. So get out those meers and smoke them!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

I can smoke my meers all day long every day of the week without issue
    I just recently discovered the same thing. I've been smoking the same pipe (the claw posted above) 4, 5, 6 times a day, every day, for about the past 2 months, and every smoke is great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cortez - Yep, you can't do that with a briar pipe unless you're trying to kill it. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I don't like the screw in tenons of most meers so the two I have are Petersons which have a nice push in mouthpiece.

The carving is simple and the pipes are robust so they have never suffered any damage. Once broken in they taste very similar to briar to me.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. michaelmirza

Michael Mirza

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only meer I ever had had an unpleasant clay/mineral taste to it, even after many bowls. It reminded me of the sculpture kiln from my elementary school art class.

Sometimes I take pictures: http://instagram.com/michael_mirza
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Michael- Could that have been a pressed meer?

In any event this thread shows: Diff folks, diff strokes. (once again)

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

I have two no name Meers that I liked, but didn't love. The biggest draw back (no pun intended) was was the push pull/ screw in tenon. The draw n both was like a cocktail straw.
    I smoked them but rarely.
    I read on Walker Pipe Repair's site that he would fx the problem. I sent the two pipes off to him. The difference is like night and day.
    If I were to find another Meer to purchase I would either look for an open tenon design or if it had the push/screw tenon spend the extra few bucks and have it fixed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, here are my reasons for NOT smoking a Meerschaum, which echo some of those already on this thread. 1) I don't want to start a whole new pipe acquisition disorder (PAD) spree; I have many/too many pipes, I enjoy smoking all of them, and I don't want to accumulate more. 2) I really do enjoy the smoking characteristics of briar (and a few other woods) and cob pipes, like the way they wear and age, the warm feel of the bowl material even with a cold pipe, and the flavor. 3) I feel mixed about the way Meers color; some of them are exquisite, seeming to "paint" the carving with different hues, but many more just look, well, dirty or stained, to my eyes. 4) Meers are really meant to be kept in their cases, and I like pipes that can live on racks or in cabinets, which you can do with Meers, but then the cases are a separate storage issue. I think Meers really do best in cases, and I'm afraid I'd tend to leave them there and go for a briar off the rack. My favorite Meers, if you can have a favorite of a pipe you don't smoke, are the moderate sized traditional shapes in smooth or small geometric pattern. I raise a bowl of tobacco to Meer smokers and their grand tradition, not my tradition, but a fine and worthy one, and good smoking to you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the push pull/ screw in tenon
    I thought they were mutually exclusive, i.e., one or the other. At least my meers are that way. Photo?

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too am confused by this push pull/screw tenon. Meerschaum pipes only come a couple of ways: old style with metal screw in tenon (looks like a stinger), plastic screw in tenon, a push/pull tenon, and a standard tenon to mortise (ie Peterson and newer meerschaum pipes).

I have pipes with all these different varieties, and I don't have a problem with any of them. Since you're only sipping on the pipe, I don't understand why people need such an open draw like a corn cob pipe. The push/pull tenon meers I have smoke wonderfully and I never have an issue with the draw. The meers I have with the metal stinger style tenon are the only ones that won't pass a pipe cleaner, but with a meerschaum pipe it isn't really necessary until after the smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

The push/pull tenon meers I have smoke wonderfully and I never have an issue with the draw.

This has been my experience as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I thought they were mutually exclusive, i.e., one or the other. At least my meers are that way. Photo?

Some have a mortise that screws into the meerschaum and a tenon that screws into the stem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. My favorite , Friki Baki Picasso owned once by Fred Bass, I love this pipe.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some have a mortise that screws into the meerschaum and a tenon that screws into the stem.

I guess maybe that's what twangthang was referencing. I just think of those as push pull myself. I have several like that and those too smoke perfectly fine for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

I have several olde thyme meer lined briar estate pipes that smoke wonderfully. I really wonder why they fell mostly to the wayside by manufacturers. You get the best of both worlds. You get the sturdiness and coolness of briar in your hand and a dry cake-free smoke from the lining...that is until the shank starts getting soppy wet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bradley, cool looking pipe, definitely fits you.

Probably the biggest reason I went with the IMP Meer was their high grade delrin push-pull, tenon and mortise system, plus they drilled the pipe to 4mm.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do and don’t smoke my 3 Meers daily.

Explanation ... I take one out with me almost anytime I smoke my briar pipes. I fill only a pinch with oriental tobacco and puff here and there. Why? Just to help them color. I am impatient and want them to get activity. So I puff a bit here and there simply as a means to get them some smoking time.

And I love my little 19 gram meer for walking the dog. So lightweight. But if I drop it it’s gone forever. I’m ok with that. Hasn’t happened yet.

Meers are great for guys with back problems! Why? Because if you drop one you don’t have to bend down and pick it up.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jpmcwjr chasingambers uploaded a picture that matches the system I own. Not a particularly good smoker ... somewhat restricted draw, makes me puff harder which in turn heats the pressed meer bowl, which in turn messes with the tobacco taste.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

With that tenon setup, try a looser packing. My AKB claw is like that, and smokes fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

I have pretty much the same beef as Madox07. Makes me think many most of the master carvers don't smoke their own pipes. Fred Bass said he never had a problem with those tenon-mortise systems, but for me they're a PITA.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Because I don't own one yet

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  61. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like meerschaums and have 9 of them that I have smoked at least once. Four were brand new and the other five are estates.
    One of them is a very large estate pipe carved to look like a lighthouse by Akdolu. The top of the lighthouse comes off so you can pack the bowl and serves as a windcap. It is an estate pipe and I have smoked it a total of three times since I bought it. It goes with another estate pipe I acquired of a sailing ship, under full sail, carved by Bolgi, and my U.S. Coast Guard pipe carved by Servi. I smoke my Coast Guard Meer probably twice a month.

I also have a Servi Churchwarden my wife bought me as a gift 4 years ago and a CAO figural Cavalier she bought me for a Christmas present in 1984. I smoke both of these regularly, also. The last meerschaum I have and smoke regularly is a CAO carved to look like an ear of corn. The bowl is the cob and is wrapped with the leaves, the stem is the stalk.

The other three are estate pipes that I don't smoke now. I have an Saxophone Sultan that was unsmoked when I bought it but after smoking it once it developed cracks around the bowl. It's nice looking so I keep it on display. Another one was also unsmoked when I bought it and the stem cracked when I cleaned it with a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol. It is now a display pipe. I examined both of these carefully with a magnifying glass before purchasing and didn't see any cracks. The third is a Gourd Calabash with a meerschaum bowl that I rescued for $35. I have smoked it, but there are three cracks in the bowl so I have it sitting in my display case also.

I view meerschaums as smoking pipes and as works of art. The artistry that goes into carving the figurals is amazing.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  62. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve never gotten a good draw from a Meer and they aren’t as easy to modify as briars are. After seeing Harris last Meerschaum I’m feeling like I’m ready to give a Meer another go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I'm sure you're all aware; each pipe has its own characteristics, whether its a briar, cob and/or meerschaum. With each pipe you learn what tobacco's it smokes best, and which packing method works best, etc. With that said, if your meerschaum pipe has the push/pull style tenon mentioned above with the "restricted draw" then as ChasingEmbers stated; try packing the pipe differently or try smoking a different cut tobacco.

Like I stated earlier; I have several meerschaum pipes with that style tenon and I don't have one issue. Heck, one of them with that setup is my favorite meerschaum pipe and one of my best smoking pipes. You just need to learn how to smoke that individual pipe to get the most out of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can appreciate the beauty of some figural meers. Have only owned 4 meers in my 40+ years of smoking. Had a large gourd calabash. Am not rough on pipes and the bowl eventually cracked. The gourd also accumulated oils to the point of blackening unattractively. Had a large meer billiard. Also cracked. Had a screw tenon Peterson pressed block meer. Threads eventually stripped. Still have a Peterson African block meer in what they call the aboriginal finish, a faceted one. Functions fine but as mso49 noted, it has not colored attractively. It simply has "dirtied" taking on ash gray coloration along with some tawny color. Generally, however, prefer the look and taste of briars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pappymac - that is a beautiful carved meer! Thank you for sharing that!

I just have one, a Straumbach bent billiard with a conventional push in stem. It's a pressed meer, but it smokes wonderfully, nice and cool, and for whatever reason, I hardly need to relight it. I don't get any weird taste from it, and smoke every blend I've tried (albeit not that many) in it.

It feels nice and solid too, I'm not afraid of it breaking randomly. I always smoke outside as week.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pappy, very cool looking Meer.

hawky, the drilling at 4mm is fine but the stem is a tad constricted in comparison to my artisan made pipes. A fluffy BJ Long tapered pipe cleaner is a pain to get all the way through so I use Dill's pipe cleaners on my Meer. I am thinking of getting either Zack or Walker to open up the stem for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. 9mmpuffer

9mmpuffer

Login to Send PM

I have 5 meers and a calabash but I only smoke the Calabash often. I prefer 9mm filter pipes and all my meers are non filter so they usually just sit. I really should sell them and acquire some 9mm meers at some point, I'm just not a fan of eBay and there really isn't anywhere else to get market value for great pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum! I think you might get a fair deal on selling your pipes right here, but you've a ways to go as to time here and number of posts before you can put them up. There are also a number of good sponsors here that handle sales. I won't mention any for fear of leaving someone out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

If not he could always contact pipestud.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. 9mmpuffer

9mmpuffer

Login to Send PM

yes, I forgot about pipestud, thank you for the suggestion.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   grilledokra, ashdigger, redglow, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, anthonyrosenthal74, cigrmaster, redone, newportpipe, donjgiles, jeff540