Why doesn't the pot shape get much love?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
With just a slight drop every now and again I took a chance to head out with the Dunhill DRR C-EE Grade pot shape from 1948 the last year the DRR designation was used as it was changed to DR in 1949 with a letter designation after it from A being the lowest to F being the highest, sure wish I could decipher the C-EE designation used on this pipe.
I don't care how many times I take this pipe out for a smoke I just get lost in the beautiful angel hair grain. Keeping it smokey with the last of the tin of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.

banjo
35782138925_770db93475_z_d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The simplicity and short bowl makes it homely to some, but I think it is often elegant, like your Dunhill, and I think maybe my Sav Aurelia. I have an Amadeus red stain that is plain but honest. The broad bowls on many pots makes them ideal for more complex blends with five or six different tobaccos, giving them plenty of room to burn at once in harmony. Maybe pots are an acquired taste. Try one, you might really like it.
Then there's the Sixten Iversson designed Stanwell pot, that looks like a fusion of a tomato and a Dublin. It's a nice take-along pipe, sturdy but graceful.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I had a pot as good looking as that one, I'd smoke it! As is, my one pot sits at the bottom of a pile. Don't like the shape of the bowl and don't believe in the tasting of separate components of the blend.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have a few pot shapes, and love smoking them. I always thought they looked boring, like a pipe that just couldn't make it as a billiard. Now I've grown to love the shape and the great smoking qualities they have. Just don't tell people that you're going to smoke your pot pipe! :mrgreen:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My local Tinderbox carried very few pots during the years I was actively buying. I was always unhappy with my collection of them, but I picked up three nice ones in Chicago in May (including a pre-transition barling EXEXEL), and feel better about their representation in my collection.
Among other virtues, the pot shape aids in recognizing complexities in blends due to a wider burning surface area, and I really like the styling.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I just bought savinelli Porto cervo 122, and I'm kicking myself for not buying a pot earlier . It smokes flakes and meatier tobaccos like a dream

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Among other virtues, the pot shape aids in recognizing complexities in blends due to a wider burning surface area, and I really like the styling.
Well stated. A straightforward, unpretentious, effective, no nonsense smoker. I enjoy my pot shaped pipes regularly. I consider the pot to be a slight variation on the billiard with right-angled bowl walls and I have always enjoyed the simplicity of the style.
That dunhill pot is a beauty.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The first pot shape I ever owned was from Erlich and I still have it and it's a fine smoker.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I almost forgot to mention, my first pipe bought in the late 1970's was a Tinder Box St. Ives, possibly a Chacom, bent pot sitter with an interesting vertical saddle stem, not an expensive pipe but somewhat distinctive and attractive. I forgot to mention it because its stylishness makes it seem less like a pot. It's still cooking along and smokes as well as ever. If you're not fond of the shape, also look at bent pots -- that gives a whole new vision of them.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Wide and squatting bowls are like women with wide and squatting butts, not too visually appealing..lol. But like the movie Caddyshack, when Rodney Dangerfield said " Looks good on you though"..lol

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have a couple of pots, and have loved them from the start. But nothing like Banjo's! That is just one gorgeous pipe, Banjo!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have only on;y true Pot, it's an Old Ant. 55 and I love what it does for complex blends. I am probably going to have one made for me. A 55 but with the older, less jutting, more rounded chin.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Banjo, that pipe is amazing!
As for pots, I like them. I tend to look for them when getting expensive pipes, because you can get a pot shape from an expensive carver/ company cheaper than other shapes. :lol:

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
The pot is a classic shape.
I love the "pot" shape. It's among my favorites. I like the wide, shorter bowl. It gives me a more powerful / intense smoke and I like that sometimes.
A long stem on a pot make some of them almost look prince-like.
I think they'd get more love if they had a cooler or more pretentious name.
MMM... what could we call the "POT?"

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I do believe it may have gotten the name from the shape looking like a long handle pot, here is a better view of the 1948 Dunhill DRR C-EE.

banjo
34965740294_9e65e549c6_o_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.