Why Does SmokingPipes Take so Long in Transit?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have 2 orders in the mail right now. One from SmokingPipes and another from 4Noggins. The SP order was placed October 26th, and cleared customs in Canada on November 6th at 2PM, still have not received the package. My 4N order was placed November 6th, cleared customs November 10th and arrived at my door today. I do not understand how a package that clears customs 4 days after the first package, can arrive first. I know this has to do with mail, and not SP. Anyone out there know more about mail deliveries and can help me understand this?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sorry, no help for you. I personally haven't had any issues with Smokingpipes, my orders usually make it to me within 3-5 days. But then again, I'm in the US, so that might make some difference.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Maybe it was how the customs declaration was filled out and mail delivery guy noticed what is in your SP package and is sampling it for you??? :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I live the next state over from smokingpipes.com, and I joke that they have the order here before I

click the final icon on my purchase. They work hard at working fast. On the other hand, I have shipped

things for work between the U.S. and Canada, and this always required a customs agent to see it through.

And it was always a cliff hanger if we could get the material (publications for scientific meetings) to the

convention center in time. I think it is bureaucrats at the border crossing that are responsible for delay.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The part that really confusses me is after the package has cleared customs. 4Noggins takes 3 days to make it to my place after customs has been cleared. Where as Smoking Pipes takes over a week once customs is cleared. Both ship from the East Cost, 4Noggins being further north, thus quicker delivery to the boarder. But once it is too the boarder, SP always, without fail will take 1 week to arrive.

Again, this is by no means the fault of Smoking Pipes, it must have something to do with where the package crosses the boarder. But I cannot wrap my head around the delay.

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
if you have a USPS tracking number you can enter it into canaposts tracking site and track the package once it has arrived into canada posts system. my recent order from 4 noggins cleared customs 24 hours after it was shipped by Rich * cant say enough good things about Rich and 4noggins super fast shipment and service* but was 6 days going from canada post inbound sort facility in montreal to my mail box here in nova scotia.
canadapost tracking page

just enter the usps tracking code in the tracking box and click the track button

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e1s1

Dec 24, 2012
Neil, it's no different here in Ontario. 4noggins shipments get here blindingly quick. SP stuff takes forever. When I look at the tracking for SP, it often says it is in the "Miami clearing centre". Good Christ. From SC to Canada through Miami? In any event, it always gets here so I never worry.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
In my experience, smokingpipes.com orders take so long to get here because I live in Montana, and everything takes a long time to get here.
Patience is a virtue, and one that pipe smokers ought to know well.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
Not sure why it's taking so long.. My last order from SP was shipped USPS, and made it to my mailbox in 2 days.. I was extremely surprised..

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Another one of the most ridicuous delivery times that ever was....this gig

Is it really that difficult to fill and ship out this kind of order?

I have to wonder about the leadership and what kind of directives are at large if any.......

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd contact SP and see what's up. SP's customer service people are really good. They should be able to point you in the right direction and get your order tracked down and to you.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Everything I have ever got was 2 days, 3 at most. Sounds like there is a customs agent somewhere with your stash.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hey Starcat, I was impatient when I started this thread. There is no question SP has super fast delivery within the US. If you're located in Canada, and choose the cheapest shipping option, it takes 3 weeks to receive the package. That is just how it is. I have not tried one of the more expensive options, that might offer quicker shipping times.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
SP.com ships UPS
4Noggins ships USPS
I have ordered from both, 4Noggins arives in 3 days, my last order for Smoking Pipes took 10 days, it was placed on Friday and shiped on Tuesday. I live in Idaho. I also get my orders from Pipes and Cigars quickly, plus they run great monthly specials.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
It is not SmokingPipes.com, it is UPS.
I live in Portland, Oregon and if you follow the UPS tracking, the package takes TWO days just to get out of North Carolina, then UPS uses an old Southern trade route and the package takes another FOUR days to meander its way to Portland, OR.
If I purchase a pipe, and SmokingPipes.com ships USPS I receive it in HALF the time.
SmokingPipes.com ships FAST, the blame lies with the carrier.
True that.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
LeastSame thing here Niel, SP takes at least 2 weeks, 4noggins, just over a week to Ottawa...no idea why thats necessary....

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
One of my sons attended University in BC. We would mail him parcels three weeks apart and he would get them on the same day. Transit time was three to six weeks. Part of that was the mail room at UVIC, but the constant was Canadian posties.

Status
Not open for further replies.