PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Like many, I started with aromatic blends, and I've found a lot that I like, particularly Lane 1Q (my first) and Lane BCA.
I dealt with tongue-bite, improved my technique and can, generally, smoke without bite. (Except for anything cherry flavored, but that's another issue entirely)
I'm also quite successful with a lot of the "codger" blends like Half & Half, Prince Albert and Velvet, but they don't really "do it" for me in terms of flavor. Maybe it's my uncultured palate, but they just taste bland to me.
I see myself smoking English, though. No real reason. Sherlock Holmes, I guess, but I wanted to be an English smoker before I'd ever tried an English blend.
I'm also an ex-cigarette smoker, so I need nicotine!
With all this in mind, I bought samples of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap. Immediately, I fell in love. Almost as immediately, my mouth felt like it had been set on fire and then sandblasted!
Every few days I tried again, with different pipes and different techniques. I'm quite successful with the Early Morning Pipe, but the Nightcap still burns me badly! But I still love the Nightcap.
Any ideas as to why the Nightcap is affecting me so harshly? I know - "Technique, technique, technique!" But I don't feel that's the problem anymore. I'm convinced that there's something in the tobacco that I'm having an almost allergic reaction to. Help, please!

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Have you smoke anything with perique in it other than Nightcap. Perique for some people will have a "black Pepper" sensation to their mouth and nose. Also Nightcap is very high in nicotine so you may be having a reaction to nicotine. I know you smoke cigarettes but you have to remember that it would take about 10 of those to fill the average size pipe bowl.
I would suggest trying another English Nightcap is a pretty heavy one to jump off into English with. Get you some Frog Morton or Gaslight or even My Mixture 965 and see if it's the Latakia your mouth doesn't like or the strength of the Nightcap you're having a problem with.

Aug 14, 2012
I agree with Freaky. Nightcap is strong medicine. I rarely smoke the bottom third of a bowl of it. There are lots of easier to smoke alternatives. I put away over 50 cans of 3 Oaks Syrian. A good rich smoke that won't kick your ass. There may still be some left (Syrian is no longer produced).

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Hmmm. I tried to use the quote function, and really messed up my reply.
Anyway, what I said, in short, was "Thanks for the advise. If I am having a sensitivity, what are some other blends I could try, easier for newbies, but still fairly "traditional," available in bulk, so I don't have to buy a lot of something I may not be able to smoke?"

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
>Could be that you are sensitive to PeriqueGet you some Frog Morton...
Regular Frog Morton aka Frog on a Log doesn't have perique in it. Frog on the Bayou however does.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39933/mcclelland-frog-morton/

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I just broke out a bowl of NC yesterday myself. It doesn't bother me, other than the typical tongue "burn" I get with anything I smoke because I puff too fast and get the bowl too hot, which I have improved on in the last few weeks.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Main difference is Perique. Some here have found there are various leafs they cannot smoke due to some sort of sensitivity. I find when I love blends I pull way to hard and too fast- also I tend to concentrate the smoke on whatever part of my tongue tastes the best...:and therefore burn it.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Maybe you should get an ounce of blending perique and try to smoke that straight up. You'd then know for sure if that's what you're sensitive to.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I feel your pain, kinda, I can not smoke Aro's. It is not really pain but retched horrible taste that is almost painful.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think we tend to over generalize our tobacco terms and that any quantification which limits your horizons based on a description as aromatic is unfair to a lot of very satisfying blends.

No. I can't name one. Well, I could, but they're either Lane blends renamed or actually were hand blended by the B&M where I got em. Oh, Classic Burley Kake is said to be an aro. It's more like an OTC codger with finer taste.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I guess I could of said, I can not smoke any Aro's that are heavily cased with a topping. I know that this barely narrows the field and only have limited experience with 10 to 12 Aro blends.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It may sound counter-intuitive but Nightcap is full of flavor and I often find myself puffing alot harder on it than I should. If that's the same case for you, then it might just be tongue-bite.
If you like the flavor of English and want to dial it down, the majority of English blends don't have perique and are generally milder in flavor profile. If you like Dunhill stuff, there are a number of blends they offer between EMP and Nightcap - I'd recommend 965. It's available in bulk and it's the probably the most popular English blend for a reason.
The big difference between the blends you listed as "successes" and the Nightcap (and EMP) are Virginias. They are the least forgiving in terms of technique. EMP might be on the most-forgiving blends out there so between that and Nightcap, almost everything will fit the bill.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Try drinking something while you smoke.

It seems to help with the bite and slows you down a little.

May 4, 2015
Try drinking something while you smoke.

It seems to help with the bite and slows you down a little.
Yep. There are some blends that I love but are really picky in how they need to be smoked. I find the acidity in a cup of tea (I prefer Earl Grey or Constant Comment) can balance out a really alkaline smoke that gives me fits. That's how I understand the chemistry anyway.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm appreciating the advice, everyone.
I'm finding that drinking coffee while I smoke helps. I don't know if coffee is particularly acidic, or if it just coats my tongue, but it does help.
I've smoked two bowls of Early Morning Pipe today, and really seem to be getting more flavor from it. I'll add some 965 to my next order, and maybe another English, too.
I think I'll just leave the Nightcap alone for a while!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
You'll be back to it soon enough. It also becomes nice with age on it. I have a couple ounces of some 10 year old Nightcap left and I'm starting to baby it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello.

I am not sure if this applies to you, but I cant seem to have perique in any form. I have tried a handful of different blends that have perique to see if it is an issue with certain types of periques, or certain blending houses, but it appears to be across the board, perique just does not work with my palate! I will revisit every couple of years in case something changes, since the idea of pepper notes appeals to me.
Pease's westminster is a very, very, tasty english blend with no perique. Also the presbytarian blend by William Soloman is a goody, oh and frog morton original, and also skiff mixture by sam gawith...I could go on
Isaac

Mar 30, 2014
wv
You're not the only one. If I smoke a large bowl of it, I get a bit of a spicy burn in my sinus cavity. It's great in small bowls.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I would recommend London Mixture. You seem to like Dunhill, and you seem to be after the classic English / Latakia mixture profile. Back when I was still smoking Latakia mixtures, London was my personal favorite of the Dunhill line. Outside of Dunhill - Squadron Leader and Skiff would he recommended as well.
I agree that it could very well be the Perique. It could also be as simple as the Nightcap being too moist, depending on the moisture of your tin

Status
Not open for further replies.